Those who abuse illegal substances will be void from all government assistance

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbydanielle

Reaction score
Today in my AP American Government class we are proposing amendments. One group proposed that all assistance families who abuse drugs be eliminated from government assistance. It got me really upset due to this really affecting my life. With their proposal being currently valid, I would have been placed into a foster home along with my two other siblings, without contact from any of my family at age 10. I think that it is difficult for these group members to understand that those who abuse drugs understand they have an issue, but doing drugs is how they cope with the issues or struggles they may have. These group members have grown up in wealthy, problem free homes and feel necessarily to profile and discriminate against those on government assistance due to generations who have. I have gained strength and resistance against situations i found my mother in when i was younger. I grew from her mistakes even if she never did. Seeing her the way I did helped me understand different things that these people never did. I got very upset when this amendment was proposed raising concerns based on where the children will go, the money come from for the drugs, transportation, etc. However, all I was really was concerned about was how my life would have panned out had this amendment been passed years ago. Government assistance exists a great deal upon getting those who rely on it back on their feet. I am struggling to understand the defense against this, and would it have been better had this happened? What is your opinion on this amendment? Do you think it should pass?
How do you think it would affect those involved such as me?

I've actually just applied to start a volunteering course to help drug/alcohol addicts.

I have a few friends who claim sickness benefit and spend the bulk of it on drugs and alcohol, although there is no real reason why they can't be out there working. Still, i believe it's important to see the person and their problems rather than just some drunk or smackhead.

It would be a sad day if such laws were put into place. I do, however, believe our welfare system should be overhauled and replaced with purchase coupons rather than just giving out a load of money. It wouldn't change everything but would certainly make a difference.

I don't think it's ever right for a child to be punished for the parent's mistakes. However, aren't there already laws in place that would allow social services to place you and your siblings in a foster home if they knew of parental drug abuse? It could be problematic for children if parents on government assistance were required to take drug tests. It could also be helpful to those families if the parents could continue to receive assistance and maintain custody of the children if they could prove they were actively seeking treatment. I suppose, given that condition, and depending on the parents, such an amendment would have the power to either hurt or help the family.

There is a young couple who live in flat over the road from the pub.

Both regularly abuse drugs and the lad is often carried away by the old bill, kicking and screaming.

They have two young kids living there, sometimes covered in bruises, and a dog that sits outside most the time.

Not once have any of them been removed for their own safety.

That's social services for ya.

Poguesy said:
There is a young couple who live in flat over the road from the pub.

Both regularly abuse drugs and the lad is often carried away by the old bill, kicking and screaming.

They have two young kids living there, sometimes covered in bruises, and a dog that sits outside most the time.

Not once have any of them been removed for their own safety.

That's social services for ya.

Well that is a shame those kids have to grow up in that. I have no experience in these matters and am only speculating. Please forgive my ignorance.

Such a controversial subject...

I appreciate your concerns and point of view S.B. My position on this issue is slightly different than yours- I didn't grow up in an affluent, problem free environment but I do have an issue with handouts given to those who abuse the system, put all kinds of effort into their next high but can't be bothered to work, and laugh at those of us who bust our asses to get by and don't take the easy route.

You express disappointment in group members that propose this amendment- they didn't create the environment of drug abuse you alluded to, that was a choice made by those that should have shown more responsibility in regards to you and your siblings. Is the amendment 100% accurate- that's not for me to decide but the reason regarding its proposal is an attempt to protect the young and innocent from selfish choices made by those who put themselves ahead of their responsibilities.

The only times I've been injured at work were due to the selfishness of somebody who put their need for a fix or to "relax" ahead of safety. Take a minute and think about this- I've had to lose time at work, my family suffered financially, my employer also suffered financially due to someone's need to escape reality. Reasons like this are why I'm supportive of harsher sentences/consequences for drug/alcohol abuse. Don't blame society for its reaction S.B.- blame the individual who makes the wrong choice in the first place.

That's my 2 cents....

The easy route doesnt even give you enough for rent. It's so minimal it's not even sustainable.

Latest posts

Back