Very trivial and childish fight >:(

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dear-_-Tragedy

Reaction score
Okay so I was playing call of duty with my friend and I was getting quite angry at the game because I was losing (people may understand the cod rage). Well my friend just turns on me and starts calling me a sore loser and a p***y who can't take losing (in a serious voice). What I didn't understand is we were on the same team so he had no reason to say such things. Normally I wouldn't take any notice but from such a close friend?

So I told him I am already angry and don't need you antagonising me further, so he hangs up (on skype) which further annoys me. So I send him a text and he replies "fresia off I don't want to talk to you". I was like wtf, what's with all the insults? Completely uncalled for. I think maybe he still holds a grudge with me from the last time I 'upset' him (Ladyforsaken will know what I'm talking about).

What should I do? If he thinks I am going to apologise to him after what he said then he has another thing coming.

I don't enjoy playing any kind of game with a person who doesn't take losing with good humor. It sucks all the enjoyment out of it for me. I hate it so much that when I played any sort of games with my ex husband I would lose on purpose just so I didn't have to deal with his temper tantrums. That's what it felt like, that I was dealing with a child. In the end, it's just a game. Someone has to lose, someone has to win, that's what a game is about.

I don't know anything about any video games but you should try to see things from your friend's perspective and, in the final analysis, YOU were the one who made him uncomfortable. The way he said it was out of line, he didn't need to call you names, but his point, that nobody likes a sore loser, not even their team mates, is valid.

That would be all good and well if he didn't get angry whenever he played fifa! He gets angry all the time playing fifa. Double standards don't fly with me. He could have easily handled the situation better, I only got angry at a game, he got angry with me completely unnecessarily hurling insults at me. TV screens don't have feelings, humans do. But it was when he swore at me I couldn't believe. A real eye opener.

I can understand how immature it comes across, and I feel embarrassed talking about it. But if you were there you would understand.

Dear-_-Tragedy said:
That would be all good and well if he didn't get angry whenever he played fifa! He gets angry all the time playing fifa. Double standards don't fly with me. He could have easily handled the situation better, I only got angry at a game, he got angry with me completely unnecessarily hurling insults at me. TV screens don't have feelings, humans do. But it was when he swore at me I couldn't believe. A real eye opener.

I can understand how immature it comes across, and I feel embarrassed talking about it. But if you were there you would understand.
Honestly, just take it as I'm saying it (again, no insult intended) I think video games are the dumbest honeysuckle ever invented, so I'd think you both were being ridiculous! :p

Game aside, very good relationships (friends, marriages, alliances) have been lost over some of the dumbest things you can imagine. IMO, if the friendship matters to you, be the bigger person and apologize. Once things get smoothed over maybe it would be a good idea to lay down some ground rules for future game play and maybe there are just some games you guys shouldn't play together? That's what adults do, work out mutually agreeable compromises.

As someone who plays an MMO I too have experienced rage in a game. That is why I stay out of PVP and stick to PVE, less raging. Also, having to hear someone raging on the other end gets very annoying -very quickly. It's as if their rage is fueling your tolerance which quickly runs out. I don't blame your friend for getting mad and quitting, give it time and he'll cool off.

Dear-_-Tragedy said:
Okay so I was playing call of duty with my friend and I was getting quite angry at the game because I was losing (people may understand the cod rage). Well my friend just turns on me and starts calling me a sore loser and a p***y who can't take losing (in a serious voice). What I didn't understand is we were on the same team so he had no reason to say such things. Normally I wouldn't take any notice but from such a close friend?

So I told him I am already angry and don't need you antagonising me further, so he hangs up (on skype) which further annoys me. So I send him a text and he replies "fresia off I don't want to talk to you". I was like wtf, what's with all the insults? Completely uncalled for. I think maybe he still holds a grudge with me from the last time I 'upset' him (Ladyforsaken will know what I'm talking about).

What should I do? If he thinks I am going to apologise to him after what he said then he has another thing coming.

I play COD myself, I have had times playing where I might get frustrated but I never say anything. I don't see any point, the game isn't going to have any significant impact on the rest of my life. I don't really find it fun or funny at all when I hear someone playing on there getting into a rage fit because it seems to me that the person has some kind of anger problems or easily gets upset if things don't go there way.

If he is doing the same exact thing while playing another game, I would just behave the same way he is now towards him. I have zero tolerance for hypocritical people.

I don't go into rages, but I will sometimes yell at my game. I can see how it might bother somebody to listen to it for long, but your "friend" is reacting a bit harshly. If I had a friend who did that, I probably wouldn't ever game with him again.

Annie Bodie said:
Honestly, just take it as I'm saying it (again, no insult intended) I think video games are the dumbest honeysuckle ever invented, so I'd think you both were being ridiculous! :p

I find it curious that somebody who enjoys backgammon, dominos, Scrabble, Yatzee, and puzzles would say that video games are, "the dumbest honeysuckle ever invented". Video games are just another medium for playing games and interacting with friends.

Update: I sent him a message trying to salvage what remains of our previously strong friendship. I said 'are we going to talk about what has happened?" and he has still not replied. o_o

I wouldn't bother with him. That's more than the CoD raging going on. I know exactly what the CoD rage is all about. But I've had my team of friends for nearly five years now, and we've never done that. So, sounds like it's more than just that. Doesn't like playing with you, or doesn't like you, or what. I don't know. But I'd leave him be. If he doesn't want to talk to you for whatever reason, leave him alone.

Late to answering but I would let the energy die down and give both of you space. When you feel the energy has died down then you can reach out.

It sounds like both of you have anger issues (if I am wrong let me know). I think being quick to anger is a big destroyer of relationships. It does not make you a bad person it just makes people uncomfortable and it isn't fun.

What I would do is vow to never get angry, especially by a game and to vow to be more fun and light about the whole thing. You can "fake" the anger for fun but not mean it. But getting really angry over a game, I'd nix that part of my personality.

Your friend could simply be mirroring your behavior.

I hope you get a nother chance to be friends with him if you want. : )

Dear-_-Tragedy said:

lol, I play an online pvp survival game called rust, its kinda like the survival part of minecraft - making weapons/shelter, surviving, except better graphics and pvp.

Anyhow, I met a couple of guys on a server whom turned out to be from the same town I live in, so we teamed up on the server, added eachother on steam etc, we've been gaming together for like a month.

Anyhow we go on another server since ours goes offline, and one of the admins kills one of my team mates, so he starts raging at the admin calling him a cheater because hes got the best weapon in game and body armor, and cause hes an admin he must've spawned them in instead of finding them.

I tell him to calm down on steam voice chat since its just **** out of order talking trash like that, he turns on me and starts giving me loads of crap over voice comms...

I said something like - "dude, I aint gonna have an argument, all I am saying is I disagree, the admins been on here for weeks he will have found the gear he has, we've been on this server for an hour, you cant make these kind of claims when you have no evidence other than your belief he cheated.

two minutes later hes deleted me off steam haha, his boyfriend the other teammate didnt delete me but hasn't said a word to me for a few days.

People can be incredibly dumb when they get mad haha

MTrip said:
If someone is going to get angry & take it out on you over something so trivial as a video game, then he isn't worth having as a friend. Ditch him & move on.

yeah this is true, but then again if people are gonna get pissed at you over anything trivial, are they worth the friendship ?

Anger can definitely make it hard to be rational. Zibafu I think you made the right call though, and anyone with any rational sense would come to the same conclusion and if he's deleted you you're probably much better without him, that sounds like a huge red flag to me. I'm pretty intolerant when it comes to certain behavior.

It sounds to me Dear-_-Tragedy it's a problem on both ends. You may have to meet halfway? Admit you have a problem but also point out that he has an issue too and in order to salvage what you got you both need to own up to your problems and say sorry. That's what I would do in that instance and if this gesture is ignored, I'd move on pretty fast.

If you get that far, you guys should discuss how to prevent further incidences, like talking about toning it down or just in general exercising more self-control. Else the problem will just repeat itself.

Latest posts

Back