Were you happier in the past?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skid Row 89 said:
I agree with you partly. However, I think many other people also have influence over your own happiness, such as friends for example, at least for me anyway.

Oh yes, most definitely there will be external factors playing a part in happiness. That's also where you control and decide whether to let them affect you in a positive or negative way. If they make you happy, sure. If they don't, then it's up to you to either be bothered, or just fresia it. :D

I was definitely happier in the past. My life now is empty...disabled, can't get anywhere because I don't drive and can't afford a car on disability, no transportation in walking distance, no taxi service in this stupid little town, no friends closeby, living alone and get out rarely, I'm "extended" family to the little family I have left so am not invited anywhere most of the time, no significant other, no hope for the future. I've heard it said the only one that can change things is me, but how can I change things when I can't afford an apartment and am living in a basement apartment of my "extended" family's house? I get my groceries delivered for $18, which is a lot of money for me, I have to order everything I need on-line, of which the shipping charges are ridiculously high.

How I continue to get up and push myself through each day must be God's doing, because I couldn't do it on my own. Because I believe in God, I wouldn't take my life. I am basically miserable.

I do, however, manage to hide all this when I come into contact with anyone. That's the only reason anyone will be bothered with me at all.

Skid Row 89 said:
Does anyone feel that they were generally happier in the past or feel they're the most content they've ever been at the present?
I think for a lot of people (maybe even most people), feelings of happiness are transitory.
Happiness comes and goes throughout our lives, based on both internal and external factors (and sometimes both).
I'm fairly content at the moment, but know that there is the potential for me to be much happier.
I've been happier in the past, but not as much now (goes back to the internal and external factors that we all deal with in life).

EveWasFramed said:
Skid Row 89 said:
Does anyone feel that they were generally happier in the past or feel they're the most content they've ever been at the present?
I think for a lot of people (maybe even most people), feelings of happiness are transitory.
Happiness comes and goes throughout our lives, based on both internal and external factors (and sometimes both).
I'm fairly content at the moment, but know that there is the potential for me to be much happier.
I've been happier in the past, but not as much now (goes back to the internal and external factors that we all deal with in life).

I agree with you fully. I know my unhappiness now comes from external sources. However, I haven't much hope that I can change my situation, and I can only count on what my Sister always says: One never knows what the future holds.

There's lots of things that I'm grateful for. If anything, I'm just unhappy how people act around me. I try very hard and I admitt I'm pretty hard on myself to be honest. But I'm easily affected based on my environment, so now anytime things get like way to stressful I remove myself from the situation. I love who I am, but overall I'm not happy where I live right now.

WishingWell said:
I was definitely happier in the past. My life now is empty...disabled, can't get anywhere because I don't drive and can't afford a car on disability, no transportation in walking distance, no taxi service in this stupid little town, no friends closeby, living alone and get out rarely, I'm "extended" family to the little family I have left so am not invited anywhere most of the time, no significant other, no hope for the future. I've heard it said the only one that can change things is me, but how can I change things when I can't afford an apartment and am living in a basement apartment of my "extended" family's house? I get my groceries delivered for $18, which is a lot of money for me, I have to order everything I need on-line, of which the shipping charges are ridiculously high.

How I continue to get up and push myself through each day must be God's doing, because I couldn't do it on my own. Because I believe in God, I wouldn't take my life. I am basically miserable.

I do, however, manage to hide all this when I come into contact with anyone. That's the only reason anyone will be bothered with me at all.

You make me feel like I'm so lucky even in the worst times of my life.

All I want to do now is give you a big big hug. I truly admire your strength. *HUGS*

Latest posts

Back