What are you feeling, hoping, thinking, or remembering right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished said:
^ Unfortunately this world runs on money so you have to do what you have to do until you have enough of it. Then you can choose what to do.

I know. I just hope I can do something that makes enough money so that I ever can get to a point where I can choose what to do. Or at the very least make enough money that I don't feel like maybe I'm just hopelessly incompetent/a loser.

It's not even a question of not wanting to do it anymore, it's a question of being able to do it.

I think that once again, I've gotten in over my head trying to do something that I don't really learn easily, because I'm not suited to it.  Like a fish that is trying to climb a mountain.

I got through my basic Excel course without too much difficulty.  I'm pretty sure that given enough time, a book, and the software to practice on, I could pass at least all of the rest of the core level MS Office certifications.  But this more in depth, analytical stuff is something else. It doesn't click with me in an "oh, so this is what I'm trying to do, of course!", where it makes sense in an intuitive kind of way.

I wish I knew what good-paying job, or at least path that leads to a good-paying job, that I actually AM suited to, so I could just focus on that path and feel like I'm not just inherently hopeless, and a shitty life is all I can expect to look forward to.

I know I'm not tough, never really been mechanically inclined, not good at quick thinking, not charismatic/a smooth talker/just not that good with people in general, not good at anything involving technical jargon (what I'm currently trying to do), not especially artistic although I like it and wish I was more creative....I don't know.

I don't seem to have a knack for anything.  I never really have.  I'm starting to think that not having a knack for anything is the source of pretty much all of my issues.

That's why I'm afraid that being stuck at the bottom really is my natural place in life, because I'm afraid that that's where people end up when they aren't good at anything because they can't be, they just weren't born with any natural inclinations.

To be honest, any path will lead to a good paying job because it will be experience. Even if it's not in the field you want, it will be general work experience, which a lot of people want to see on applications. Just get a job. Work it for a while and find a better one. Even if you just work deliveries newspapers, you could work and get a job as a writer if you are good enough. A cashier at a grocery store could rise up to management if they are dedicated enough. You need to adjust your attitude about jobs and then maybe you can find where you fit.

To be honest, any path will NOT lead to a good paying job because it will be experience. 

It will, however, help you move up a little bit. IMO, you need to go to a professional job counselor. You need to be tested to find out not only the skills that you current have but what you are inclined to do. The military uses the Asvab test to help them place recruits into fields that they stay in for the rest of their time in the service. 

https://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/asvab

Job counselors usually point you in the direction of what you like to do. The easiest question is what do you like to do? Is that something you can see yourself doing in five or ten years? If so focus on that. Do you prefer to work alone or with others? Ask what jobs would suit you the best for your personality.

But, that still doesn't mean you'll end up in a good paying job. It means that you might end up employed in an area that you enjoy being in. You might be able to stick to it. But, if you want the cash then you have to specifically tell them that. After taking the various tests ask them what different positions usually start out at and what growth potential there is. There are some jobs that pay fairly well but they are dead end. Some jobs pay very little to start and are very difficult. But, people that can stick with it can make a lot. Some medical billing analysts do well but they typically travel a lot and work long boring odd hours alone. 

Also pick a market that has staying power. In general the medical field is and probably always will be growing. However, don't get into truck driving because soon automated trucks will be taking over their jobs.

I didn't pick positions that I liked or was conducive to my personality. Some of them really took a toll on me because I had to pretend that I was perfect for the position. My reviews usually included something about fitting in very well and being well liked. Um, no, I just forced myself to behave in a manor that other's liked. I really wanted to tell them all to go F themselves and that they were stupid and lazy aholes. But, I knew I couldn't do that. So, keep that in mind when choosing a career to go into. Don't take it lightly and don't base is solely on income potential, although a good income is nice to have.

Finished said:
To be honest, any path will NOT lead to a good paying job because it will be experience.

I suppose it was a poor choice of words on my part.  I should have said COULD lead.  That is, obviously, if you put in hard work and dedication to getting where you want to be.
Even in my jobs there is room to advance and make pretty **** good money, you just have to do what it takes to get there and sometimes that can be just as much of a pain in the ass as working jobs you really don't like.

In the end, a job is a job. A job you don't like all that much is better than no job at all.

TheRealCallie said:
In the end, a job is a job.  A job you don't like all that much is better than no job at all.

I disagree. No job is the best. It might bite me in my retirement years. But I got tired of dealing with ******** and they are at every job. Ha! ha!

Passed the test that was giving me anxiety about jobs that I was talking about earlier in this thread, but still, it was hard. I hope I can break into this field and make an at least OK go of it.

^ Great job again! Keep up the work! I started going through the Microshaft certification about 25 years ago or so. I didn't finish it because I went into a different field. I also didn't think it was necessary. Then I got back into the field and needed it. I lost out on a couple jobs I wanted. So stick with it till completion!

In previous winters I was often bothered by having a cold nose when walking outside. I always thought there should be nose warmers. But today as I was walking outside and my face felt cold, I realized I could just put on my mask to make it better. It would be nice if masks became a permanently socially accepted accessory to wear, even after the pandemic. I like wearing masks.

Just wishing I had a friends. I have a wife who is my best friend but sometimes I feel like I wish I had other friends I could just talk to. I just wish I had someone besides 1 person I could ever talk to about things. I wish I had someone who I could talk to about the mental issues I have dealt with. I wish the people I try to reach out wouldn't just tell me it will all get better and if you need someone to talk to then pay a stranger to sit there and listen to your problems.

The dark night of the soul. I thought that I'd come through it some time ago but I realize now that I haven't yet.

Sadness about the way certain things in my life have worked out but also a hint of optimism about the future.

I could very well be an illegitimate child, it's a saddening thought but... oh well, still love my parents (who raised me).

Latest posts

Back