What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I get really sad or angry at the way things are going. I get really angry at things like how certain people and companies and groups are screwing us over economically, or how a girl I loved chose a piece-of-honeysuckle druggie "bad boy" over me. Things like that just make my blood boil. Or I'll just get really bummed and think I just CAN'T make my life better and there's no point, life's just gonna suck and there's nothing I can do about it.

But that's both wrong. I can't get anywhere by being pessimistic, that's like emptying my gas tank out onto the street. And just sitting and stewing in anger is like hammering the gas but leaving the car in park. It gets me aggressive and all hot and bothered but I still aren't getting anywhere. I've got to just let go of the bad feelings in order to actually MOVE in the direction I want to go.

I can't seem to concentrate on anything for longer than five minutes these days. Case in point, I stopped typing there for 90 seconds - I lost focus and started watching TV instead. Sigh.

Something's definitely different recently, just can't figure out what.

TheSkaFish said:
I've got a month to get a job before things get uglier around here. But I have my bachelor's and frankly don't ever want to work some minimum wage job again. I did not struggle and suffer through all of the stress of college (projects, papers, finals, etc) nor did I spend all those years in school, had most of my childhood STOLEN from me spending all those days sitting in rooms doing things I wasn't interested in, just to work at ******* UPS or some other slave bullshit. No way.

Obviously, the thought of working for minimum wage again pisses me off. I don't even HAVE a job like that, but just thinking about it makes me want to punch holes in the wall. But I can't think clearly when I'm pissed off. And thinking clearly is exactly what I need to do to avoid that fate. Idk. It's really crucial that I get a job that pays well, not just for my wallet but for my mental health. I'm trying to be a more positive person, trying to tell myself that I'm not a victim, a loser, that my existence won't just be me getting kicked around by life and never getting to be someone that I actually like. But working at a low wage job will just undo all of the progress I've made over the past few years towards being a happy person.

That attitude pisses me off- it's so ******* pretentious! Its great you've got your degree but welcome to THE REAL WORLD SUNSHINE! It's the one where people do whatever they've gotta do to stay afloat. Your attitude stinks, it's like you're looking down on those who don't have the big salary and all the perks that go with it. I've been up, I've been down- there's times I did really well building the multi-million $ mansion for someone with your inflated sense of self and times I've felt lucky to have a couple of decks to build to pay the mortgage and feed my Kid. The post you made is one of the most ignorant things I've read for awhile- too bad they didn't teach you a thing called RESPECT for others when you were learning how to feel entitled!

UN-*******-REAL...!

It's been kind of bumming me out lately but not many people wished me a Happy Birthday; not even some of my close friends.... =( It's starting to make me wonder if they're honestly my true friend or not.

TheRealCallie said:
I should really think about going to the store before I run out of groceries and have to go when EVERYONE is going to the store because...OMG, ANOTHER SNOW STORM IS GOING TO HIT, GOTTA GET BREAD AND EGGS AND MILK. Apparently, one must have the ingredients to make french toast when it snows.

You live in the US or Canada, don't you? In our southern & midwestern states, whenever a hurricane is forecast everyone goes & raids the nearest Wal-Mart or supermarket for those items exactly. Why this is, I dunno. Wouldn't it make more sense to stock up on stuff that does not need refrigeration?

WildernessWildChild said:
TheSkaFish said:
I've got a month to get a job before things get uglier around here. But I have my bachelor's and frankly don't ever want to work some minimum wage job again. I did not struggle and suffer through all of the stress of college (projects, papers, finals, etc) nor did I spend all those years in school, had most of my childhood STOLEN from me spending all those days sitting in rooms doing things I wasn't interested in, just to work at ******* UPS or some other slave bullshit. No way.

Obviously, the thought of working for minimum wage again pisses me off. I don't even HAVE a job like that, but just thinking about it makes me want to punch holes in the wall. But I can't think clearly when I'm pissed off. And thinking clearly is exactly what I need to do to avoid that fate. Idk. It's really crucial that I get a job that pays well, not just for my wallet but for my mental health. I'm trying to be a more positive person, trying to tell myself that I'm not a victim, a loser, that my existence won't just be me getting kicked around by life and never getting to be someone that I actually like. But working at a low wage job will just undo all of the progress I've made over the past few years towards being a happy person.

That attitude pisses me off- it's so ******* pretentious! Its great you've got your degree but welcome to THE REAL WORLD SUNSHINE! It's the one where people do whatever they've gotta do to stay afloat. Your attitude stinks, it's like you're looking down on those who don't have the big salary and all the perks that go with it. I've been up, I've been down- there's times I did really well building the multi-million $ mansion for someone with your inflated sense of self and times I've felt lucky to have a couple of decks to build to pay the mortgage and feed my Kid. The post you made is one of the most ignorant things I've read for awhile- too bad they didn't teach you a thing called RESPECT for others when you were learning how to feel entitled!

UN-*******-REAL...!

Hey WildernessWildChump - just because my education wasn't physically back-breaking doesn't mean that it wasn't work. You're one of those Baby Boomers that thinks all Generation Y people go to college just for an Animal House experience, don't you? You think I went to party and smoke weed and get laid on my parents' dime. Guess what, it wasn't any of that - it was a lot of homework, projects, finals, and stress. Oh and driving, in all kinds of dangerous weather. It was a lot of sacrificed time and money spent that I'll never see again. I didn't party. I worked. Entitled my ass - I earned that degree with time, stress, and unhappiness just like any job. There were a million places I'd rather have been doing anything else. But I did what I'd been told to do all my life - "stay in school, get good grades, stay out of trouble, go to college, BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO BE FLIPPING BURGERS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE". That was I was ALWAYS told was the whole point of going to college - so that when you get out, you won't have to work minimum wage jobs.

I have plenty of respect for others and almost anyone I know will tell you I'm a pretty nice guy. But I also have confidence - I won't be kicked around. I'm not some rich kid either, I've done min wage jobs before, and I know I'm worth more than that now. I'm not looking down on anyone, I just know that I'm ready to move on from things like that. Ready to move up. Especially now that I'm nearing 30, I can actually truly say that I have more experience alive than some people. I don't know how much more I am worth, but I know I can do better than that. I know it like I know my own name. All my life I was told go to school, go to school, go to school because you don't want to have to work minimum wage jobs. So what was all that then, a lie? The best years of my life gone, for a lie?

You know what, my original ending for this post was much nastier. But I decided to change it because this really isn't worth my time and that's not really who I am. Good day.

PS Mods, I'm sorry. On second thought, I shouldn't be bringing my economic troubles here. I'm having a hard time with some things in life at the moment. But just look at his post and tell me how that would make you feel if it was directed at you. He pushed my buttons on purpose, anyone can see that. My original post wasn't meant to start anything with him or anyone, but he decided to make something of it and I simply stood up for myself. I would hope that standing up to someone who tries to push you around, no matter how big they are, is something we can all appreciate and understand here.

This thread has been around for a long time. Don't get it closed! :club:
Because of the thread it's in (and another reason), I won't give my opinion, but I do agree with WWC. I will also say that UPS is NOT a minimum wage job.

That said, I must now go work my ass off (in what is basically a minimum wage job) so that I can feed my kids, keep a roof over their heads and pay medical bills.

MTrip said:
TheRealCallie said:
I should really think about going to the store before I run out of groceries and have to go when EVERYONE is going to the store because...OMG, ANOTHER SNOW STORM IS GOING TO HIT, GOTTA GET BREAD AND EGGS AND MILK. Apparently, one must have the ingredients to make french toast when it snows.

You live in the US or Canada, don't you? In our southern & midwestern states, whenever a hurricane is forecast everyone goes & raids the nearest Wal-Mart or supermarket for those items exactly. Why this is, I dunno. Wouldn't it make more sense to stock up on stuff that does not need refrigeration?

Yes, I'm in the US. Never really made any sense to me either. I suppose during a snowstorm, one could put the perishables outside in the snow. lol
What annoys me is that I really did need bread, milk and eggs when I went to the store. *shakes head*

TheSkaFish said:
WildernessWildChild said:
TheSkaFish said:

UN-*******-REAL...!

Hey WildernessWildChump - just because my education wasn't physically back-breaking doesn't mean that it wasn't work. You're one of those Baby Boomers that thinks all Generation Y people go to college just for an Animal House experience, don't you? You think I went to party and smoke weed and get laid on my parents' dime. Guess what, it wasn't any of that - it was a lot of homework, projects, finals, and stress. Oh and driving, in all kinds of dangerous weather. It was a lot of sacrificed time and money spent that I'll never see again. I didn't party. I worked. Entitled my ass - I earned that degree with time, stress, and unhappiness just like any job. There were a million places I'd rather have been doing anything else. But I did what I'd been told to do all my life - "stay in school, get good grades, stay out of trouble, go to college, BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO BE FLIPPING BURGERS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE". That was I was ALWAYS told was the whole point of going to college - so that when you get out, you won't have to work minimum wage jobs.

I have plenty of respect for others and almost anyone I know will tell you I'm a pretty nice guy. But I also have confidence - I won't be kicked around. I'm not some rich kid either, I've done min wage jobs before, and I know I'm worth more than that now. I'm not looking down on anyone, I just know that I'm ready to move on from things like that. Ready to move up. Especially now that I'm nearing 30, I can actually truly say that I have more experience alive than some people. I don't know how much more I am worth, but I know I can do better than that. I know it like I know my own name. All my life I was told go to school, go to school, go to school because you don't want to have to work minimum wage jobs. So what was all that then, a lie? The best years of my life gone, for a lie?

You know what, my original ending for this post was much nastier. But I decided to change it because this really isn't worth my time and that's not really who I am. Good day.

PS Mods, I'm sorry. On second thought, I shouldn't be bringing my economic troubles here. I'm having a hard time with some things in life at the moment. But just look at his post and tell me how that would make you feel if it was directed at you. He pushed my buttons on purpose, anyone can see that. My original post wasn't meant to start anything with him or anyone, but he decided to make something of it and I simply stood up for myself. I would hope that standing up to someone who tries to push you around, no matter how big they are, is something we can all appreciate and understand here.

No one tried to push you around, just called you on your bullshit about being too good for the menial jobs others do- plain and simple!

You've no idea what I think- and labels, seriously dude? I actually respect people who make the effort of furthering their education, I simply cannot respect those who wave that piece of paper in the air and claim being too good to do what many are grateful to have.

Almost forgot- you need a tissue? That kind of response in the workplace won't get you far for sure.

WWChump, you have no idea what I think either. I got that piece of paper because I was told ad nauseam that getting it was the way to avoid a life of drudgery. Is it a crime to say that yes, I just know I have more in me than what minimum wage jobs require? My last such job was lifting boxes all day. Really? That's what my life adds up to? That's why I'm alive? That's all? Lifting boxes? fresia. That. honeysuckle! No way! I just know I have more in me than that. Yes, I KNOW I am capable of doing more with my life than lifting boxes and if you don't think so, sue me. No, I would not be grateful for a job that is basically a slap in the face, that is basically abusing me.

But you've made it quite clear what you think in your post. I assume you are also American. Tea partier by the sound of it. You call me entitled...surely not like how you were entitled to cheap gas, food, rent/land, tuition, cheap consumer prices of all kinds, well-paying, low-requirement jobs just because you were born when you were? Too young for Vietnam (if you aren't American, you didn't even have this to worry about!), but just the right age to have the late 80s, 90s, and early 00s to establish yourself before everything went down the drain. You guys got a nonstop party bus. Shut up about calling me out on bullshit, your generation had the deck heavily stacked in its favor almost the whole time. Now you call my generation "entitled" just for wanting a little dignity, for wanting to simply START on the road to a good life like your generation got. Just for wanting a little something to know that all the jumping through hoops was worthwhile, that it added up to something. That life isn't just going to be a fruitless chore, just suffering and then death. I've even said that I've worked minimum wage jobs before and I'm quite confident that I'm past that now, that's confidence in myself, not arrogance. That's knowing I put in the time and now it's time to move on and up. That's saying, you know what, I won't let the world kick me down, I know life holds more for me. But you tell me to "Get a tissue", which really just makes me want to tell you to fresia off.

Just remember my initial post wasn't even antagonizing you, YOU decided to make something out of it. Don't bother responding to any more of my posts and if you think you can push me I'll push you back. Seriously, leave me alone.

Not that I want to get into this, but I just want to point out a few things.

1. WWC is not American. (Don't assume things if you don't know. This applies to everyone)
2. How is one entitled to something just because of when they were born? Things were cheaper in the past, it's a fact of life. 10 years from now, things will be more expensive than they are now. Not sure how that has anything to do with this. When I was a kid, I paid 89 cents for gas. And now I pay $3.50 for gas, just like everyone else that lives where I live.
3. He never said anything about your generation. He specified YOU.
4. A JOB doesn't give you dignity. I know quite a few dignified people who work minimum wage jobs (some that even flip burgers)
5. This was never about you having a degree, it's about how you seem to think that degree makes you better than anyone else trying to get a job. (No one is better than the next person. We have all struggled with something, we have all succeeded in something.) One does what one must to be able to live. That doesn't mean not working until you find the job you think you "deserve," it means sucking it up and "flipping burgers" or whatever so you can pay the bills until something better comes along.
6. Never assume that just because only ONE person said it, only ONE person thinks it. It's usually not the case.
7. Name calling isn't polite. You really should try to stop that habit :D

Oh and as to my post in here....I DON'T WANNA WORK ANYMORE!!!! 3.5 more hours...I can do it, I can do it.

TheRealCallie said:
Oh and as to my post in here....I DON'T WANNA WORK ANYMORE!!!! 3.5 more hours...I can do it, I can do it.

Snap!

Looks like we finish at the same time!

TheRealCallie said:
Not that I want to get into this, but I just want to point out a few things.

1. WWC is not American. (Don't assume things if you don't know. This applies to everyone)
2. How is one entitled to something just because of when they were born? Things were cheaper in the past, it's a fact of life. 10 years from now, things will be more expensive than they are now. Not sure how that has anything to do with this. When I was a kid, I paid 89 cents for gas. And now I pay $3.50 for gas, just like everyone else that lives where I live.
3. He never said anything about your generation. He specified YOU.
4. A JOB doesn't give you dignity. I know quite a few dignified people who work minimum wage jobs (some that even flip burgers)
5. This was never about you having a degree, it's about how you seem to think that degree makes you better than anyone else trying to get a job. (No one is better than the next person. We have all struggled with something, we have all succeeded in something.) One does what one must to be able to live. That doesn't mean not working until you find the job you think you "deserve," it means sucking it up and "flipping burgers" or whatever so you can pay the bills until something better comes along.
6. Name calling isn't polite. You really should try to stop that habit :D

He was entitled. He reaped benefits simply out of virtue of growing up in a time when no one challenged the West and policies favored upward mobility.

It pisses me off when people who have had it easier or have had the deck stacked in their favor tell me to work harder, tell me to basically just accept a bleak, miserable life with a smirk on their face. And they have the balls to act like they are better and smarter than me just because of their dumb luck. Stupid me, I should have been born at the right time when no one competed with the Western world and automation and the Internet weren't nearly what they are today! Because I had so much control over that.

Name calling isn't polite I agree, but he antagonized me. That's the difference between him and me, I wouldn't attack someone. But I will defend myself.

TheSkaFish said:
He was entitled. He reaped benefits simply out of virtue of growing up in a time when no one challenged the West and policies favored upward mobility.

It pisses me off when people who have had it easier or have had the deck stacked in their favor tell me to work harder, tell me to basically just accept a bleak, miserable life with a smirk on their face. And they have the balls to act like they are better and smarter than me just because of their dumb luck. Stupid me, I should have been born at the right time when no one competed with the Western world and automation and the Internet weren't nearly what they are today! Because I had so much control over that.

Name calling isn't polite I agree, but he antagonized me. That's the difference between him and me, I wouldn't attack someone. But I will defend myself.

NO ONE is entitled to ANYTHING. He is no more entitled than you are, you are no more entitled than anyone else. Regardless of when you were born or how many degrees you have.

I don't recall anyone saying he had the deck stacked in his favor. He worked hard to get where he is. The same as you worked hard for your degree. Just like I worked damned hard to get where I am, which isn't anywhere REMOTELY CLOSE to where I wanted to be when I was younger. That said, this is my life. I do what I have to do to make sure my kids have a good life. I would work ANY job (including flipping burgers) to ensure that they have what they need and I get my bills paid.

Name calling isn't polite I agree, but he antagonized me.

REALLY? That makes it okay?
You really need to let the past go. A past you were likely not a part of, or too young to reap whatever benefits you are going on about. Stop living in the past and start living for now. Don't live in the future either, you can only live for today, because the future can change with the drop of a hat.
As for jobs, who cares if you have a degree and flip burgers or work at UPS. Do whatever you have to do to get yourself started in life. Use your free time to look for better jobs. A job is only beneath you if you choose to let yourself believe that. No job is beneath anyone.

You don't know what WWC background is, but to say that anyone of his or my age were 'entitled' is a ridiculous complaint.

It pisses me off when people who have had it easier or have had the deck stacked in their favor tell me to work harder, tell me to basically just accept a bleak, miserable life with a smirk on their face

You think that we of an older generation had the deck stacked in our favour, or have had it easier? What planet are you living on? What makes you think anyone is smirking over the fact that you or anyone else cannot get a job? Sorry, not that you cannot get a job, you just cannot get one that you think is worthy of your talents?

I never got to go to college because my father thought it a complete waste of time and money, and indeed wanted me to leave school at 16 to get a job. I was lucky to get to stay in school until 18, then that was it for me. I did a job I didn't much like, worked hard, changed track, took a whole load of exams and qualifications in my own time, and got on in my career. Got on very well, to the extent I had little private life and no relationships. But nobody handed me a thing, nobody ever did me any favours, I did it all myself.

And if you think it was easy, try being a woman in a male-dominated IT industry full of young male college graduate blokes who thought that they should have my job - just because they were young male college graduates.

I appreciate that you are finding life hard right now - but you are not the only one who is finding things tough, and you are not the only one who has ever found things tough. . . And when things pick up and you start to do better, shall we all tell you that you are entitled, and it is just the fact that you are a white western male that meant you did well?

You have had your whine, and blown off steam. Now pick yourself up, dust yourself off - and do what you have to do to make a living - and you WILL earn respect if you do it with the right attitude..

17 weeks, 103 shifts, 1 to go before my holiday, can't wait

So where are you going for your holiday 3ple Bogey? You may have said in another post, but I reckon I missed it.. Or are you just staying home and golfing?

jaguarundi said:
17 weeks, 103 shifts, 1 to go before my holiday, can't wait

So where are you going for your holiday 3ple Bogey? You may have said in another post, but I reckon I missed it.. Or are you just staying home and golfing?

a couple of day trips if the weather is decent.
A place called Knaresborough and might go somewhere on the coast. On the other days I will be playing golf ! :)

Latest posts

Back