What are your favorite group hobbies?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dancer

Reaction score
I've found that a great way to be more social is to try out what I call "group hobbies"; hobbies that are best suited for groups of people to enjoy together.

Dancing is a great group hobby. There are inexpensive beginners group classes near you! I know it sounds intimidating, but let me tell you from first hand experience that all of the other beginners are just as nervous as you are!

I will never forget one time I was in a class and I met a woman who decided to come try dancing with one of her friends. She was in absolute terror! Everyone was so supportive of her, she and the other students got plenty of time to practice the basic moves we were learning. By the end of the class she was really happy and glad to have come.

Besides dancing, I really enjoy skydiving and yoga, both awesome ways to meet people (yoga might be a better starting point than skydiving unless you like a big thrill!)

So what are your favorite group hobbies?

Pretty much all of my hobbies are solitary. It's part of the reason I'm here. I find groups of people intimidating and so I shy away from them. I did used to like playing in the darts league at my local pub, but that was a long time ago now.

user 130057 said:
Pretty much all of my hobbies are solitary. It's part of the reason I'm here. I find groups of people intimidating and so I shy away from them. I did used to like playing in the darts league at my local pub, but that was a long time ago now.
I love darts. Wonderful game.

LoneKiller said:
user 130057 said:

Aye, it's a wonderful game that gets less recognition than it deserves. I love watching it and playing it - puts a smile on my face :)

I'll fill in for Limlim:

Group orgies.

Yes most of my hobbies are quite solitary like reading and photography. I'd love to take more portraits but I hardly know any people and those I do are a bit shy. Still its not really a group thing. I'm quite shy and anxious myself but I would like to be more sociable.

user 130057 said:
LoneKiller said:
user 130057 said:
I did used to like playing in the darts league at my local pub, but that was a long time ago now.

Aye, it's a wonderful game that gets less recognition than it deserves. I love watching it and playing it - puts a smile on my face :)

My mum has a little purple scar on her temple from where she was hit with a dart and it stuck in her head! Two of her brothers were playing a game on the landing and she walked out of a door at the wrong time!

Despite this she used to like to play and I'd like to try it! That and snooker.

All my hobbies are solitary as well. I have no group. I wouldn't want to be in one anyway.

annik said:
Yes most of my hobbies are quite solitary like reading and photography. I'd love to take more portraits but I hardly know any people and those I do are a bit shy. Still its not really a group thing. I'm quite shy and anxious myself but I would like to be more sociable.

user 130057 said:
LoneKiller said:
user 130057 said:
I did used to like playing in the darts league at my local pub, but that was a long time ago now.

My mum has a little purple scar on her temple from where she was hit with a dart and it stuck in her head! Two of her brothers were playing a game on the landing and she walked out of a door at the wrong time!

Despite this she used to like to play and I'd like to try it! That and snooker.

I have a couple of scars from darts, but they came from bounce outs on very old thick wired boards. Thankfully, none have hit me in the face. I might find that slightly discouraging.

I used to play snooker when my local Hollywood Bowl had full size (12ft) tables, but alas they got rid of them ages ago.

^ My my.. sounds dangerous but fun if you deliberately want to hit someone with the dart!

Any activity that isn't too energy intensive, with friends and family. Darts has been mentioned, also skittles, bowling, snooker/pool/ cards and so on and so forth. It's so rare I ever get invited to play with people though, and even if I'm offered I have the confidence to accept, that I basically never get to do those things more than once. :(

Video gaming, not online based of course, when people sit down to enjoy a good old fashioned gaming session from the one console, or occasionally (in my far past) when two televisions, consoles and copies of a game exist within a circle of friends/family and epic LAN parties are formed.

Board games, specifically Othello (reversi) Chess and Scrabble, but throw some Monopoly in there if you can find a decent, non-retarded banker.

And finally, sex. Who doesn't enjoy sex, really? People with bad backs? Phimosis? Proctitis? Yeast Infection? BWEH.

Since most people have gone to some lengths to insist their hobbies are in fact enjoyed largely in solitude, I'd like to remind everyone THAT I WILL DIE ALONE. Most of my common hobbies (as in, most mentioned above are ultra rare/uncommon happenings...I'll let you decide how you order them) are pretty much enjoyed alone, like gaming, using the PC, pencil drawing, reading and writing, masturbating, basketweaving and gardening. Shucks.)

Extra addendum - like anyone ever reads my posts anyway. ;(

The ones I do most frequently are going to cinemas, museums and concerts, but I feel like it's cheating to say those because there's a lot more consumption than participation. Bowling is definitely one, but that's just once in a while. Same with the driving range. I used to play poker for money (illegal here--I'm such a rebel), but I lost touch with that group. If bar-hopping counts, my current group consists of connoisseurs. This post probably makes my mundane life seem more exciting than it really is though.

ladyforsaken said:
That's what I'm talking about.

What annik says, plus I kinda didn't read that drawn out post.

Latest posts

Back