What is better for you, hookup sites or hookup apps?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enpatsu No Shakugan said:
While I will agree on looking for different things, I guess I don't see why you view a "pen pal", as you call them, as someone incapable of fulfilling that same role.
I want the full package, to find someone like what you want, but I want to truly love them as a person first. And to find that kind of thing requires a lot of patience and work, and it's not instantaneous.
I feel that's where our true difference lies.

And to me, those things you want eventually lose their luster and become commonplace; but so long as you have the foundation of a rock-solid base connection, then even that doesn't matter.
And I think to form such a thing is absolutely impossible with the methods you're defending with online dating. It's a short term fix at best, not long term.

Those are my thoughts.

So.... I think it "works" for fulfilling a base urge; like a snack that prevents you from starving to death; but it wears off quickly and soon you're left even hungrier for something more filling, yet all you can find are more snack bags.

Hope you get that analogy. Maybe it'll work with you, but just saying, I wouldn't put much, or any, stock into the methods you're using.

Then maybe it's just a difference in the value we place on physical connection. For me, physical connection is an essential part of forming a real bond with someone. It's not the only thing, but I think it's very important...maybe not for everyone.

I don't think I've ever felt a strong emotional connection to anyone who I've only spoken to online/through writing. I need that physical presence for emotional connection to develop. That's why I go through the dating process. And for me, I feel like it's very difficult to truly get to know a person without actually being with them in person.

I understand what you're trying to get at with your analogy but I don't agree with it. It seems like a very black and white way of thinking. And I don't think it is a black and white issue.

bender22 said:
Enpatsu No Shakugan said:
While I will agree on looking for different things, I guess I don't see why you view a "pen pal", as you call them, as someone incapable of fulfilling that same role.
I want the full package, to find someone like what you want, but I want to truly love them as a person first. And to find that kind of thing requires a lot of patience and work, and it's not instantaneous.
I feel that's where our true difference lies.

And to me, those things you want eventually lose their luster and become commonplace; but so long as you have the foundation of a rock-solid base connection, then even that doesn't matter.
And I think to form such a thing is absolutely impossible with the methods you're defending with online dating. It's a short term fix at best, not long term.

Those are my thoughts.

So.... I think it "works" for fulfilling a base urge; like a snack that prevents you from starving to death; but it wears off quickly and soon you're left even hungrier for something more filling, yet all you can find are more snack bags.

Hope you get that analogy. Maybe it'll work with you, but just saying, I wouldn't put much, or any, stock into the methods you're using.

Then maybe it's just a difference in the value we place on physical connection. For me, physical connection is an essential part of forming a real bond with someone. It's not the only thing, but I think it's very important...maybe not for everyone.

I don't think I've ever felt a strong emotional connection to anyone who I've only spoken to online/through writing. I need that physical presence for emotional connection to develop. That's why I go through the dating process. And for me, I feel like it's very difficult to truly get to know a person without actually being with them in person.

I understand what you're trying to get at with your analogy but I don't agree with it. It seems like a very black and white way of thinking. And I don't think it is a black and white issue.

I generally don't believe in black or white thinking, but I guess that changes when I personally have decided on something?

Anyway, I guess that's the difference then. I have absolutely no problems connecting or even falling in love with someone before meeting, or only through text, but it doesn't work for you. I get it.
Different strokes.

Enpatsu No Shakugan Online, why do you not believe in as you said "black and white thinking'/

smarty24 said:
Enpatsu No Shakugan Online, why do you not believe in as you said "black and white thinking'/

Because the world and human beings in general aren't so one-dimensional.

Enpatsu No Shakugan said:
smarty24 said:

Because the world and human beings in general aren't so one-dimensional.

Well, nice explanation...

Latest posts

Back