What is work for you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IgnoredOne

Reaction score
Is your job just a place for you to make money, or does it have greater significance for you?

For me, I was deeply and permanently inspired by an essay a few years ago written on how to impress oneself into the most prestigious universities. I'll briefly go over the contents of the essay, although it has little to do with what my personal inspiration from it was: It talked about two guys, both who were applying for Harvard: Bob and Steve.

Bob is a straight A student, a great football player, and logs some other activities, all rather exemplary.

Steve, on the other hand, has missed a few As, but has a letter of reference from the head of Geneva Branch of the United Nations and has been involved extensively in local politics.

In choosing for the 'exceptional' student, Steve becomes the obvious candidate. Bob, despite being an excellent pick, comes off as just an overachieving hometown boy - an good student and a good athlete, but not quite "Harvard material". It goes briefly into why of the human psychology: the reviewer vicariously imagines himself in the role of the applicant. Its not hard to for the reviewer to imagine himself as Bob - oh, if he only had studied harder or practiced a bit more on the field, he would be able to do everything Bob did.

On the other hand, the reviewer can't begin to imagine how he could have been Steve. And since he cannot vicariously imagine himself as the applicant, he can only conclude that the boy must be truly extraordinary.

But how would you, as a potential, become extraordinary? If the reviewer couldn't imagine how to go on an unbeaten path, how could the student? Therein lies the essential magic: you must achieve something that even you cannot imagine how you could start on. The simple solution, then, is to merely begin the process and be daring.

Steve, who was an actual student, actually just began to be involved more with a local chapter involved with international aid. Through dedicated and focused social networking, he ended up actually interning with the United Nations - something that he could never have begun to expect at the beginning. When other kids were working McDonalds or waitressing, he was looking for a job that ended up developing his future forever.

The essential takeaway of the article is that /everything/ you do, should hopefully contribute to your personal growth on some level - because after all, it does always teach us something. This is something that I've often considered and have fully integrated into my life; a job isn't just a way to make money, but it should always be a way to learn genuine skills as well.

Learning how to flip hamburgers isn't going to help develop one's skillsets much; learning to be a bank teller, on the other hand, starts to give one an understanding of the mechanics of money. The pay between the jobs may not be much different, but the value of one is substantially higher than the other.

For me, a job is an opportunity to learn. Classes are important, but ultimately, I see them as theory. Work is implementation and operation; true knowledge comes from comprehending not only the theory behind any concept, but also its actual design, implementation, operation, improvement and maintenance. And I am nothing if not an addict for knowledge.

I don't really care much about money, I guess. Mostly because I've never had any to begin with, generally just struggling to make two ends meet. What I'd wish for from a job is that it would stimulate the creative bits of my brain, and feel myself useful (if not irreplaceable) part of the whole that makes the working crew. There's few feelings as good as feeling wanted, needed and important. Money is a nice added bonus, but mostly it just turns out to be a faint lingering scent of a carrot dangling off a stick at the front of my nose.

Rough reality is, I generally never manage to climb up from the trainee positions of minimal brain capacity, creativity and am considered expendable, since there's a fresh flow of students and other young, unemployed saps ready to give their best, only to be the replaced by the next guy, since the corporations don't have to pay us a dime, and the goverment makes sure there's a fresh supply of us to them.

So far, I've generally learned only a handful of solid, good skills and things to add to my repertoire, but nothing much to build a career on. And in all honesty, my ambition and self-esteem have been crumbled by the long string of jobs where I'm some sort of energizer bunny readily disposed once my battery runs out.

Still, been doing some schooling on the side, and trying to carve myself a skillset that might provide me my daily bread in the future. Remains to be seen how that pans out.

My job pays the bills. It's fun sometimes, and sometimes it offers an outlet for things I cannot express elsewhere. It's always educational, but I suspect the things I learn aren't always good for me. Unfortunately, most of us cannot get the jobs we would like to have. We must do the jobs that are available to us. Most people who flip burgers do it because there is no option.

nerdygirl said:
My job pays the bills. It's fun sometimes, and sometimes it offers an outlet for things I cannot express elsewhere. It's always educational, but I suspect the things I learn aren't always good for me. Unfortunately, most of us cannot get the jobs we would like to have. We must do the jobs that are available to us. Most people who flip burgers do it because there is no option.

Not to mention that someone has to flip the burgers. Like it or not, the honeysuckle jobs will always be there and someone has to do them.

Generally speaking work has been rewarding for me. Back when I was a teacher, I felt as though I was doing tangible good, helping people in an immediate sense. I like that a lot.

Now, I am in a position where o have to work to survive. I took whatever job I could and I am still working hard at it in the hopes that I will be brought on as a full-time, permanent employee. Is this my dream job? Hardly. Am I learning a lot of valuable things? Hell yes.

My job is my life :p Or, it will be. A job is having a grand project going on in your life. I don't know what the hell I'd do if that project didn't tittilate me. I can't just roam around all my life.

I more or less like my job. The pay is honeysuckle, but it's a rewarding experience. EMS (the proper industry name for 'ambulance drivers') offers a dynamic work day, and every day is different. I enjoy the patients I meet, I enjoy the challenge of the skills I learn, and I love the people I work with. We are constantly learning new things.

I have my days though where it's not so great. Sometimes it seems like nothing goes right. Other times I feel like a **** taxi service for the bums that abuse the EMS system...it wouldn't be so bad except I have to write a report regardless!

As happy as I am here, I'm coming to a point where I'm realizing that I can't keep doing it. The sad truth is that at this point in time, by reaching the top of the certification ladder, I could top out at a whopping 12.64 an hour. If I pile on the overtime (amounting to a second full time job, almost), I could -maybe- come out near 50,000 a year. As I stand right now, I am about to get a licensure upgrade which will put me at 9.40-something an hour...not even $2 an hour more than I made as a janitor a couple years back.

Dump attendants here -start- at $12 an hour.

At any rate, it's not sustainable if I want any sort of quality life, especially in this area of retirees and wealthy gated vacation communities. It's bullshit that they should be able to live here comfortably but the guy serving them every day can't, but such is life in the crumbling US of A. I should kiss their asses and be grateful for their royal presence.

So I'm going to probably enlist in the military, finish my degree. Go to become a Physicians Assistant or move in to EMS management, maybe.

And maybe, someday, I'll become a lobbyist. And then I'm going to go after everyone who's messed EMS over the years. The fire departments, especially, and the cesspit of arrogance that is their firefighter's union. And I'm going to fresia them. I'm going to fresia them all, long and hard, whispering demeaning things in to their ears as I do so. I'm going to make their lives a living hell. I will launch a public information campaign, funded by lawsuit dollars, to show the public the truth about the fire department. The fact that they fight maybe three fires a year. The fact that they provide vastly inferior patient care compared to a dedicated ambulance service. I'm going to get their wages reduced until THEY'RE in the poor house, sucking up to the ambulance guys on scene of emergencies. I will be their waking nightmare. Then, I'll go after the private EMS companies and abolish them for sacrificing safety and patient care to line their pockets. It'll all be public, and we'll finally be rid of the asshats at AMR and Rural Metro who settle for sub-par service, inferior employee environments, and smear our professional image through the dirt.

...But probably not. Because that would be fickle and mean. I'll probably just climb the ranks in the military or establish myself as a PA and piss on them anyways because I'll be richer than them and it'll be my civic duty.

Also: BACK FROM THE DEAD, FOLKS. BRIAN'S HOME.

I like my job, I get to work with my hands, get to meet new people everyday, allows my to socialize with people which I normally shy away from outside of work, and I get to learn new things and teach those things to others.

Pheenix said:
My job is my life :p Or, it will be. A job is having a grand project going on in your life. I don't know what the hell I'd do if that project didn't tittilate me. I can't just roam around all my life.

Same here.

Sci-Fi said:
allows my to socialize with people which I normally shy away from outside of work

This has been significant for me, too. I think my best friends are probably -at- work.

to me, "work" is what you're made to do.

the beatles were musicians. andrew carnegie was a businessman. gandhi was a leader. "work" is what you're made to do, born to do, what you love to do. a man who has found his true calling will never be finished working. if you finish your work, you're either dead or it's not really work.

you might have a job waiting tables at your local diner, you might have a profession getting victims out of their legal troubles, and you might have a trade netting fish for the local market, but work is what you were made to do.

Work or selling your time for a wage to a company, is the worst debasement of your humanity you can be subjected to. I work at Fedex part-time as a package handler and I hate it. There is a Greek song called Fabrika, that makes me think of Fedex:

http://www.stixoi.info/stixoi.php?info=Lyrics&act=details&song_id=808
Η φάμπρικα δε σταματά / The factory never stops
δουλεύει νύχτα μέρα / Working day, night
και πώς τον λεν το διπλανό / And what is the name of the next person
και τον τρελό τον Ιταλό / And the crazy Italian
να τους ρωτήσω δεν μπορώ / I cannot even ask them
ούτε να πάρω αέρα / Or even get air

Δουλεύω μπρος στη μηχανή / I work according to the machine
στη βάρδια δύο δέκα / In the shift two, ten
κι από την πρώτη τη στιγμή / And from the first moment
μου στείλανε τον ελεγκτή / They sent me the controller
να μου πετάξει στο αυτί / To throw into my ear
δυο λόγια νέτα σκέτα / two words flatly

Άκουσε φίλε εμιγκρέ / I heard friend immigrant
ο χρόνος είναι χρήμα / That time is money
με τους εργάτες μη μιλάς / With the co-workers you don't talk
την ώρα σου να την κρατάς / Your time is to keep
το γιο σου μην το λησμονάς / Don't forget your son
πεινάει κι είναι κρίμα / He is hungry, its a shame

Κι εκεί στο πόστο μου σκυφτός / And bent from my post
ξεχνάω τη μιλιά μου / I forget my speech
είμαι το νούμερο οχτώ / I am the number eight
με ξέρουν όλοι με αυτό / Everyone knows by taht
κι εγώ κρατάω μυστικό / And I hold the secret
ποιο είναι τ' όνομά μου / Of what my name is

I don't work in a full on factory, but that song really captures what it is like, sadly they don't really have working class songs in the English language, they only have escapism.

As far as the Harvard anecdote, they would likely choose the second candidate, because they could later say, "Look high ranking UN official X is a Harvard grad." I remember on tv some program about Harvard Business School and they showed people who applied and got in, one was a lady already in a semi-high position in the Jamaican Finance Ministry. They probably accepted her so they later gloat, look the first female Jamaican Finance Minister is an almuni.

Work or selling your time for a wage to a company, is the worst debasement of your humanity you can be subjected to. I work at Fedex part-time as a package handler and I hate it. There is a Greek song called Fabrika, that makes me think of Fedex:

http://www.stixoi.info/stixoi.php?info=Lyrics&act=details&song_id=808

I don't work in a full on factory, but that song really captures what it is like. Sadly they don't really have working class songs in the English language, they only have escapism.

As far as the Harvard anecdote, they would likely choose the second candidate, because they could later say, "Look high ranking UN official X is a Harvard grad." I remember on tv some program about Harvard Business School and they showed people who applied and got in, one was a lady already in a semi-high position in the Jamaican Finance Ministry. They probably accepted her so they later gloat, look the first female Jamaican Finance Minister is an alumni.

Work or selling your time for a wage to a company, is the worst debasement of your humanity you can be subjected to. I work at Fedex part-time as a package handler and I hate it. We package handlers have semi-factory conditions as our packages come out of a mechanical belt and we have to stage them. It is not bad in theory when package flow on belt is running slow, but the reality is most to the time they speed it up too much to get you home faster, so they can pay you less. Not being able to keep up with the machine constantly leads to psychological frustration.There is a Greek song called Fabrika (Factory), that makes me think of working at Fedex:

Sadly they don't really have working class songs in the English language, we only have escapist music about sex, drugs and rock n' roll.

As far as the Harvard anecdote, they would likely choose the second candidate, because they could later say, "Look high ranking UN official X is a Harvard grad." I remember on tv some program about Harvard Business School and they showed people who applied and got in, one was a lady already in a semi-high position in the Jamaican Finance Ministry. They probably accepted her so they can later gloat, look the first female Jamaican Finance Minister is an alumni.

Gazooks, Brian is still alive! Good on you! :D

Still, to the topic at hand- most often, work is a necessary evil which serves as a source of much needed income. I'd love to have a firm of my own, where I could concentrate on graphical work or whatnot, and generally have a say in the business side of things- more often than not, I find myself in the employ of modern day robber barons. So far, I haven't had to burn down any farmsteads or shoot freegrazers, but I can't help but to feel tinges of guilt hearing how these conmen operate.

Currently, I am not alive during work hours. I am merely an automaton, slaving away the hours until I am free once more from menial labour.

EDIT:

Aw crap, already posted in this thread before. I must be running a faulty memory.

Bread said:
So far, I haven't had to burn down any farmsteads or shoot freegrazers...

For some reason, my brain read that as 'haven't yet been able to...' as if you were yearning for a bit of old fashioned pyromania :D Maybe I'm projecting a bit much...

IgnoredOne said:
For some reason, my brain read that as 'haven't yet been able to...' as if you were yearning for a bit of old fashioned pyromania :D Maybe I'm projecting a bit much...

Oh no, no, no... Well, maybe a bit. But it'd be more a lá Milton in Office Space. Big, evil corporations, not small farmsteaders.

Latest posts

Back