what is your fear

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beginning of this year
Getting fat.

My biggest fear/phobia is getting fat and/or gaining weight. (I have no intention of finding the name for the phobia, but I know there is one)

Some lesser ones I have are losing my hair, needles and spiders (much less than it used to be, not even sure I'd call it a fear anymore, just an intense dislike really)

Well, glad to see my fears haven't changed. lol

Also, people not using the search feature....this is like the 10th fear thread.

That's a tough question to answer. I really don't have any big fears. I try to be prepared for whatever is going to happen.

But, I guess that I'll run out of money before I die only because I'm watching that happen to others now that believed they were fine years ago when they retired.

I also fear getting a serious medical condition of some sort.

Maybe I fear that my evil passenger(Dexter) might decide to come out and play without me knowing about it. Ha! ha!

Last edited:
Besides the obvious - death, disease, and loss of loved ones -

I fear that I'm incapable of succeeding at anything at all - but especially the things I find interesting and exciting -
due to not having been born with the right genetics for talent at it.

I'm afraid the best I can do in life is stumble through it bored, apathetic, blank, and empty like some kind of zombie or machine.

And I'm afraid that because I didn't start my life on time, that I basically totaled it, and unless I can pull a business idea, album, or best selling book out of nowhere, that my life is ruined for good and I can't fix it.

A proverb from my country ... "it is precisely what you fear that you can't avoid" ... probably that's why I'm an open invitation to bullying

I'm a massive hypochondriac - i fear anything health-related. In other words, i fear the inevitable...

Growing older in a generation and a society that is hopelessly addicted to excessive dopamine spikes to the point that they ignore and disregard that it's bad for you because it contributes to reductions in attention span which is effectively bad for an overall quality of life for both the individual and the collective deduction of all of society itself given that people will eventually no longer be able to even focus on things such as their tasks at their jobs which doesn't seem that dangerous at first until you consider positions like air traffic controllers and the likes of things that include functional security and safety for the lives of other people. Ohwait. I'm already there. I'm not bitterly misanthropic, nope, not at all.

Legitimately though, that does actually scare me. That degradation to such an extent is plausible is wild. Of all of the potential ways to kick the bucket, dumb luck is definitely up there for the most uninspiring. Imagine kicking the bucket and getting to the other side for a moment here:

"How'd you go?"
"Well, I got on a bus this morning to go downtown to do some grocery shopping, the bus driver got distracted by a text message and through the guard rail and off the road we went and that was that."

This is the kind of stuff that actually concerns me about the future. Which is also a large part of the reason why I practice detachment, because if I didn't hits would probably wreck me the way drinking used to in my 20s.

My luck, the Donnie Darko thing would happen. I'll just go to sleep one night in my room, and a **** airplane engine will come loose because some cartoon piece somewhere didn't thoroughly check their crap and it'll fall through my roof and just take me out.

I say this as nonchalantly as possible, while drinking a bottle of water very similarly to how I used to drink beer bottles. With a massive undertone of Meh.

Enough of my rabbling. Breakfast is over, time to get the day rolling.

Losing my faculties. Becoming an invalid, dependent on others to get me around and feeding and cleaning me. And not having the ability to just take my life in such circumstances. Having to endure that life would be a hell for me.

My biggest fear was always that I'd end up on the street. This thread made me think about the fact that I don't fear that anymore. I feel like I've done what I can to make sure that disaster won't happen.

I think now that my biggest fear is that I'll be all alone for the final years of my life, and noone will know or give a s--t.

Settling for what's comfortable and familiar, sometimes those are the things that hurt us the most.

Besides the obvious - death, disease, and loss of loved ones -

I fear that I'm incapable of succeeding at anything at all - but especially the things I find interesting and exciting -
due to not having been born with the right genetics for talent at it.

I'm afraid the best I can do in life is stumble through it bored, apathetic, blank, and empty like some kind of zombie or machine.

And I'm afraid that because I didn't start my life on time, that I basically totaled it, and unless I can pull a business idea, album, or best selling book out of nowhere, that my life is ruined for good and I can't fix it.

Sometimes, my fear of lacking genetic talent/ability to succeed, fear that it's all predetermined and there's no point in trying because there's no indication I have ability, is not only becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy, but eating me alive, by becoming my life itself.

Except snakes(which is phobia), darkness, cancer, losing someone, dying before my kid is 18 and realizing it.

I can't choose.
I'm afraid, that I won't find any other job and I will die only having one job in my life.
Or that I won't be able to meet someone who fells in love with me and fell in love with him, so I never know what it's like. (quite likely going to be real, 'cause I'm not 20 anymore)
To be fired.
Finding out my mortgage is a waste of everything(almost done).
Being arrested and getting to a jail(just for a case, as far as I know the laws, I didn't do anything worse than crossing on a red light)
Being me and never become someone else, someone better.

Am I the most cowardly one here?

Except snakes(which is phobia), darkness, cancer, losing someone, dying before my kid is 18 and realizing it.

I can't choose.
I'm afraid, that I won't find any other job and I will die only having one job in my life.
Or that I won't be able to meet someone who fells in love with me and fell in love with him, so I never know what it's like. (quite likely going to be real, 'cause I'm not 20 anymore)
To be fired.
Being arrested and getting to a jail(just for a case, as far as I know the laws, I didn't do anything worse than crossing on a red light)

Or maybe the most honest?

I can't choose.
To be fired.

Very, very far from it.

As an almost social isolate, I fear aging into feebleness and/or dementia with no one who cares that I'm deteriorating.
My response to that fear? I eat healthy and exercise every day. But eventually time's inexorable passage will take its toll.
The deliberate, quick and final exit is probably going to be my endgame. But not for another 10, many 20 years.

Latest posts

Back