What kept/keeps you from suicide?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If giving an opinion means calling people "arsehole" on a public forum, then I do not agree with him "giving an opinion"

allanh said:
I definitely won't call them chicken

oh, actually , there is one exception: If you still have loved ones around you and your death will result in their (especially your parents/wife/children) sadness, then I will classify that suicide as cowardice/inconsiderate/irresponsible.

When a person takes his own life away, he does not have the ability to think about anyone anymore.

How the family reacts to the suicide is up to them, not the person who commits suicide. The person who does it is already so troubled and probably irrational, how can he/she take on the responsibility of another person?

allanh said:
yeah, so suicide is a selfish act

and you're very self-less and giving? Just cause you haven't ended your life?

Anyways, am out of here. (this topic)

well, one thing that is clear is that a selfish act can not possibly be classified as "courageous", which is what certain people on this thread is suggesting

I fail to understand what courage and altruism have to do with each other.

You should never forgive a loved one for committing suicide because there never is anything to forgive. The person who takes his life does not do it to hurt you. And you know that she must of thought of you before doing it - so there's nothing selfish about it.

Couldn't it be the person who does not respect the suicidal s choice who's being selfish? The person who can't see past her own personal pain.

The way I see it - looking back on someones life to justify why they ended it just isn't right. Suicide isn't something you plan ahead for years and years. It's a choice you suddenly make one day and go about trying to see it through. Why else would people living good lives, with wife and kids, who act like they're full of life sometimes take their life? It does happen. Suicide is the most drastic way of dealing with pain. And although it sounds overly simplified to say it this way - it's like an Advil. And sometimes people choose it over everything else.
It's a choice, not a flaw of morals.

And yes! Suicide takes courage. Lots and lots of courage. Loneliness and depression are tiny little things compared to the unknown. Thinkers and priests have pondered about life after death since the dawn of civilization - and we still haven't got a clue. People that willingly make the jump are courageous. It's simply not the type of courage we'd want them to have. Because when someone you love takes his life you can't help but blame yourself and feel hurt.

--
(...)

To answer the question. I have had good years in my childhood. And there's no reason why I couldn't have more of them. Things can always get better. Even if they later get worse. They can always get better again, and again. And again.

Pie, it is fine if you disagree with someone but we do not need the name calling.

Fear of going to hell or of being reincarnated into the same sort of circumstances and having to go throught it all again.

What keeps me? My body-what would they do with my body. Plus if I killed myself, then everyone would be talking about me. And that's what really keeps me away from suicide. And then there is my family, I wouldn't want to hurt my mother.
So I continue to stay in this world (and endure all the pain that I have to) when in fact I would really just like to be dead. So much for selfishness.

I wish I could just disappear into thin air.

I have often thought of that route, especially here lately in the latter stages of my life.Then I walk outside and see my ol' buddy Biscuit and I wonder what would happen and who would feed and take care of him.The thought then leaves my mind rather quickly.I suppose only a person who is really attached to a pet can understand this but that's how i feel and I hope it never changes.

I've tried to commit suicide three times in my life.
Eventually, life stripped me down so far that I gave up on finding a way out and just surrendered.
Doing that changed my perspective on everything.
Suicide is no longer an option for me because now, I know better.

Pain, and a chance of it failing. No one really cares about me so I can't say I'm selfish for thinking of suicide. It is possible to stop a person from killing themselves, but it's impossible for them to stick around once that person does decide to live. Knowing how I can never do anything right, if I fail and survive, somethings bound to be damaged. I'm a worthl[/align]ess black Sheep in my family so I really shouldn't exist in the first place. It's horrible to say this, but I for a fact know that no one will care if I died. I have no friends and my family is stressed enough with me being a dead weight in their lives.

This will sound like a weird way to keep thoughts of suicide at bay and/or going through it, but I always took down the date of the thought and made myself revisit the issue three years later.

After I had my daughter, I could not think or go through with it until she is 18.

So, I guess I will reevaluate my life in two years.

Until then, I try not thinking about it and hope my life will improve with another three year reset.

Having my father kill himself would completely crush me no matter my age. It would actually be worse if I was older, as that would enable me to reflect on why he would do it, and constantly contemplate what could have made his life so horrible that he'd leave it (and me) behind. I hope you'll consider this when your daughter turns 18. Losing her dad to suicide won't be any less of a torment just because she's older.

But to answer the question in topic: Life is what keeps me from suicide. The summer grass, the night sky, the ocean waves, the wonderful music, the arts, the unsolved mysteries. I could never let go of what might be my only chance to experience as much as possible of this wondrous world. It can be cruel and gruesome, but it can also be so amazing. I keep thinking that better days are lurking just around the riverbend. In a way I could also say that hope is what keeps me going.

I've thought of suicide a couple of times, but I see it as a last resort. What keeps me from actually attempting the act is that I desire to live. I've experienced good emotions/feeling and I've had good moments, yet they seem to get less and less over time. I WANT things to get better, but I'm unsure how to make them better. I keep thinking that if I keep moving on that eventually I will work through these stages of my life and find happiness. At least that is what I hope will happen. The "what if" keeps me living.

Latest posts

Back