What made you smile today?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a frequent serial smiler, as I assume most people are. Can't remember everything that made me smile today. Babies running around at work, a couple of the junior students being sneaky while the prof was away during my practical, the hotel staff being extremely sweet, Ms R, the docs, some posts on here, talking to the folks and knowing they've got my back, my brother's whatsapp status quote, my sister being her naive, silly, anime obsessed self on our chat group, my darling teen cousins hanging on to my every word even though those boys are nothing but adorable little rascals. I very rarely reprimand them, which is why they listen when I do. And that's what's a little funny. How seriously they take it.
What made me smile last was remembering a friend giggling uncontrollably for apparently no reason during a study session years ago during our 2nd or 3rd year. Apparently she was imagining us falling off our chairs and just rolling all over the floor all serious-like. And during another such fit she imagined we were all pacmen running through campus. Random and completely absurd, especially for someone known for her seriousness. I loved her for who she was before, but that was the day I was sure she was one of My People.

Raven22 said:
:) ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ :)

So many hearts, ****! :D

tumblr_memaanhVIK1qk381no2_r1_250.gif

Someone elsewhere made a thread about their dad's Stephen King collection that was left to them.

First comment: Throw them all away, they're haunted.

*slow idiotic tears of laughter*

This post on Tumblr.

A post about romantic relationships

"so I’ve been in a relationship for 5 years now. And I see a lot of posts about how people think relationships mean having butterflies forever, your heart beating faster when they walk into a room, about cuddling together every night, legs intertwined, that you’d be so happy to live together you’d sleep on a double bed with each other every night.

And its not really like that, at least not to me.

You stop getting the butterflies when you live together. Your heart no longer speeds up when you see them, but instead, everything calms down. When youre in the room with them, you feel calm, and secure. When you cuddle them you feel your heart beat slow, and the sound of their breathing carry you towards comfort. It doesnt feel like a roller coaster anymore, it feels like home.

You don’t sleep curled up with each other every night, legs twisted between theirs so tight its hard to tell where yours begin and theirs end.

Instead, you sleep comfortably, side by side, sometimes facing different directions. But every night, you find yourself scooting backwards on the bed so you bump into them. You snuggle against their arm, or stroke their hair as they fall asleep. There are nights when my boyfriend, in his sleep, reaches around me and pulls me to him, like a child with his teddybear, like I am his comfort.

In the wee hours of the morning before the dawn breaks, when the world is blue and you see through cracked eyes, you curl into their chest and inhale their scent before drifting back to sleep.

Kisses aren’t always romantic and firey anymore. But there are so much more of them now. There are cold kisses when you’re eating ice cream in the summer, and sticky kisses over breakfast pancakes. There’s “im leaving now” kisses, and “one more kiss before you go” kisses. There’s sleepy morning kisses before work, when you don’t remember the alarm going off but instead the press of their lips against yours is what brings you into the day.

There’s kisses before sleep, and, you are so sweet with the things you do kisses. There’s kisses because you treat animals so tenderly, and I’m so glad i’m with you and not someone else kisses. There’s quick kisses in the aisles of the grocery store, when its loud and you gravitate together, when instead of having your own personal space and their own personal space, its both of yours together, and you step into their chest to take up less area together.

You don’t always text each other with confessions of love and care like you used to, because that’s a given now, and you’ve moved on to quirky inside jokes about the life youve built together. You share looks of exasperation and amusement in public, your own little world against the outside one.

Relationships aren’t always a fairy tale. They’re not always fireworks and sparks, at least, after the start.

But they are a quiet rhythm and hum of love and care. It’s not a fire in your soul, but one in your hearth, keeping you warm and comfortable, comforting you as you drowsily drift into sleep.

And I love that."

Solivagant said:
This post on Tumblr.

A post about romantic relationships

"so I’ve been in a relationship for 5 years now. And I see a lot of posts about how people think relationships mean having butterflies forever, your heart beating faster when they walk into a room, about cuddling together every night, legs intertwined, that you’d be so happy to live together you’d sleep on a double bed with each other every night.

And its not really like that, at least not to me.

You stop getting the butterflies when you live together. Your heart no longer speeds up when you see them, but instead, everything calms down. When youre in the room with them, you feel calm, and secure. When you cuddle them you feel your heart beat slow, and the sound of their breathing carry you towards comfort. It doesnt feel like a roller coaster anymore, it feels like home.

You don’t sleep curled up with each other every night, legs twisted between theirs so tight its hard to tell where yours begin and theirs end.

Instead, you sleep comfortably, side by side, sometimes facing different directions. But every night, you find yourself scooting backwards on the bed so you bump into them. You snuggle against their arm, or stroke their hair as they fall asleep. There are nights when my boyfriend, in his sleep, reaches around me and pulls me to him, like a child with his teddybear, like I am his comfort.

In the wee hours of the morning before the dawn breaks, when the world is blue and you see through cracked eyes, you curl into their chest and inhale their scent before drifting back to sleep.

Kisses aren’t always romantic and firey anymore. But there are so much more of them now. There are cold kisses when you’re eating ice cream in the summer, and sticky kisses over breakfast pancakes. There’s “im leaving now” kisses, and “one more kiss before you go” kisses. There’s sleepy morning kisses before work, when you don’t remember the alarm going off but instead the press of their lips against yours is what brings you into the day.

There’s kisses before sleep, and, you are so sweet with the things you do kisses. There’s kisses because you treat animals so tenderly, and I’m so glad i’m with you and not someone else kisses. There’s quick kisses in the aisles of the grocery store, when its loud and you gravitate together, when instead of having your own personal space and their own personal space, its both of yours together, and you step into their chest to take up less area together.

You don’t always text each other with confessions of love and care like you used to, because that’s a given now, and you’ve moved on to quirky inside jokes about the life youve built together. You share looks of exasperation and amusement in public, your own little world against the outside one.

Relationships aren’t always a fairy tale. They’re not always fireworks and sparks, at least, after the start.

But they are a quiet rhythm and hum of love and care. It’s not a fire in your soul, but one in your hearth, keeping you warm and comfortable, comforting you as you drowsily drift into sleep.

And I love that."

Ah, Amazing thing It is. :)

My little stray cat waiting in the garden for me to put out the food - it was waiting way at the back of the garden at first but the distance is now about 2/3 what it was a month ago, so we are bonding, just very slowly. I've become very fond of the little creature and it always makes me smile first thing when I see him/her waiting there and staring at my door waiting for me to appear with food!

TheWalkingDead said:
My little stray cat waiting in the garden for me to put out the food - it was waiting way at the back of the garden at first but the distance is now about 2/3 what it was a month ago, so we are bonding, just very slowly. I've become very fond of the little creature and it always makes me smile first thing when I see him/her waiting there and staring at my door waiting for me to appear with food!

That's so sweet :)

Aisha said:
TheWalkingDead said:

That's so sweet :)

:D I have crawled on my hands and knees before now to make myself appear less scary to it, and push its food closer with my nose so I am perceived as a cat or at least cat-like.

It's a race against time for Tiddles the cat, as when I put the food down the snails move in very quickly (for snails!) - I was amazed to discover that snails eat cat food! I've even found slugs stealing the bait from my mousetraps! :club:

The kindness of strangers and quite a few of the people here on ALL have also made me smile today :)

TheWalkingDead said:
:D I have crawled on my hands and knees before now to make myself appear less scary to it, and push its food closer with my nose so I am perceived as a cat or at least cat-like.
It's a race against time for Tiddles the cat, as when I put the food down the snails move in very quickly (for snails!) - I was amazed to discover that snails eat cat food! I've even found slugs stealing the bait from my mousetraps! :club:

You actually do that? And you've named him? Much daww. :) I haven't done that, but I have done some silly things to try and make friends with stray animals occasionally. I love reading about this sort of thing. I hope you manage to make friends with him eventually, you're being incredibly patient.
Those are some very smart slugs O.O Perhaps if you elevate the food it might become less snail food, and more cat food? I'm not sure how to deal with aggressive snails.. I don't suppose they'd respond to shoo-ing? :p

Latest posts

Back