where do people meet?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootlegspm

Reaction score
If you're serious about having an actual relationship, whether for friendship or for something that could lead to more, where do you go? I know people go to bars hoping to "score", but where do you go for something lasting?

Well, I went to the comic book shop. Unfortunately, the guys here are either way too old, way too young, or way too afraid of a chick in a comic book shop.

nerdygirl said:
Well, I went to the comic book shop. Unfortunately, the guys here are either way too old, way too young, or way too afraid of a chick in a comic book shop.

Hmm I have a few female friends who go to the comic book shop. Was your intention to make friends or just to talk to someone or pick up someone?

I guess, you can always start with a smile. That's the easiest. It's a universal language that means you want to engage with the person.

-Art galleries (my favorite)
-Photography (or insert your favorite hobby here) classes
-Grocery stores (asked for a date once in the cheese section)
-City parks (man left a note on my car once here)
-A beach
-Local coffee shop (not Starbucks!)
-Salsa classes (met lots of nice guys there)
-Library
-Get to know your neighbors
-Volunteer work (pick a job that's not going to be all men)
-karaoke

I'm going to a Sing-Along with The Wizard of Oz on Saturday at a local theater. They're having Oz karaoke and a costume contest before showing the movie. Ok, I probably won't meet any guys because I'm bringing my preschooler and if I do meet a guy, he'll probably be in a Dorothy costume and gay, but ya never know! :)

So...here's the ultimate question. Is it safe to approach a woman and strike up a conversation in a perfectly innocent venue like a Library or a book shop or a grocery store?

That image of a guy approaching a woman and asking her the time and her reaching into her purse and spraying him with mace comes to mind :rolleyes:. I know that's just a cliche gimmick from television...but still...

Edit: meh...a face full of mace is a good way to find out the answer the hard way

grainofrice24 said:
So...here's the ultimate question. Is it safe to approach a woman and strike up a conversation in a perfectly innocent venue like a Library or a book shop or a grocery store?

That image of a guy approaching a woman and asking her the time and her reaching into her purse and spraying him with mace comes to mind :rolleyes:. I know that's just a cliche gimmick from television...but still...

Edit: meh...a face full of mace is a good way to find out the answer the hard way

Honestly, as a girl, if a guy strikes up a conversation with me, I'd immediately think he is interested. If that's what your intention is and you don't mind that, sure. But its a risk. Everything is a risk. The problem with this is, my guy friends always do it and come back saying "Oh she's already got a bf."

lol

It's not about "going somewhere."

There is no special place where faithful, loving, long-term relationship-minded people are going to be.

It's about being able to notice and POUNCE UPON opportunities wherever you happen to be.

Anywhere that might make friendships, could also provide opportunities for somewhere deeper.

Badjedidude said:
It's not about "going somewhere."

There is no special place where faithful, loving, long-term relationship-minded people are going to be.

It's about being able to notice and POUNCE UPON opportunities wherever you happen to be.

lol bars?

beans said:
lol bars?

I think bars are a horrible place for meaningful relationships. If we're going to go by categorization of places, I recommend online games instead since those appear to have worked better for me in my past >.>

I agree with BJD but only partially. If the only place you're going every day is your laptop or you like to spend a lot of time in convents, there's not going to be many opportunities to meet someone. Just be social with things you like.
I've never had the urge to mace someone who smiled and said "hi" to me (male or female). I did get followed by a non-smiling guy once when I lived back in New York and I screamed at him to f*ck off. He did.
But I think your chances of getting maced are practically nil, especially if you're in a public place.

Teresa

I had a bad experience in my teen years approaching a girl in public (this caused me to be antisocial). We were at a local homecoming festival, I saw an attractive girl so I approached her and said hey there, what's your name? She said and I quote "Piss off you f-ing creeper!" That kinda ruined it for me, but after awhile I got over that and have approached many many girls since then and have only gotten positive responses.

beans said:
Hmm I have a few female friends who go to the comic book shop. Was your intention to make friends or just to talk to someone or pick up someone?

I guess, you can always start with a smile. That's the easiest. It's a universal language that means you want to engage with the person.

I went with the intention to purchase comic books, make friends, talk to someone, and pick somebody up. Probably in that order, even.

What if my smile makes it look like I'm there to kill Batman?

Where do you meet special people? Anywhere on Earth actually.

The most common is College/University (if your at that age).

Latest posts

Back