Who here have (OR DOESN'T) low self-esteem / confidence because of their looks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes i am self concious about my appearance. Very. But I would never tell anyone that.

I used to be picked on in high school for it. Man were those kids mean :(

And its not something that is fixable by reconstructive plastic surgery at the moment.

At least my teeth are fixed :)

You know, after seeing the responses. Maybe I should have asked instead:

"who DOESN'T have low self-esteem/confidence because of their looks"

The-One said:

Lol..

Hell I'm working on it. ;)

Im not gnna be lonely for the rest of my life for sure. :D

The-One said:

In some cases I think the question is the wrong way round. If I'm feeling good, and my self esteem is about average, I don't mind my looks. I don't think I'm hideous or anything (as long as I don't smile). If I'm having a low day, though, I can't stand to look at myself because there is nothing there I like.

Perhaps some people don't like their looks because they have low self esteem.

I am hoping to be able to afford cosmetic surgery one day. :)

The stares hurt much. 'If I had to look at your face in the mirror every day, I'd kill myself.' 'Freak.' I'm so sick of that kind of honeysuckle.

Looks can make you have bad self esteem. I have a real bad deformity that is not that noticeable with cloths on if I where the right sort. It has in the past stopped me from doing things like swimming. I do still do it now if am feeling in the mood where am not that bothered about ppl looking. Which they do of this I know. I would so am not going to be calling anyone for it. Its when you get kids and you hear them asking there mum what is wrong with that man. That can hurt a little.

I think most of it is all about frame of mined though. I know of ppl that are not good looking at all but seem to get really good looking partners. But I would say having the spin problem I have and not being tall in height and walking with a limp has had an effect on my self confidence.

Just a comment on the cosmetic surgery thing. Is one thing I would never do. I have had moor then my fair share of surgery in my life and it is one thing I would never do if I did not have to. For someone to go fro surgery when they don't have to I think is crazy. But if it is something that you have to do even if its a self-esteem thing then HAY, You gotta do what ye gotta do. I would first go and talk to a phyciatrist about your thoughts first though.

Nyktimos said:
Perhaps some people don't like their looks because they have low self esteem.

That is exactly my case. Changing my looks, while it might help, is not the root of my low self esteem. No matter what i looked like i would still find fault with it.

I'm not planning on any plastic surgery...but for sure I'm going to lose weight and start taking better care of myself...get SEXY for summer haha.

I'm hoping that it will help with my self esteem and it will get the ball rolling on better relationships...and then people will stick around because they like my inner beauty :)

I have a very low self esteem and decided to take action about my appearance. I can confidently say I lost 20 pounds over the summer but now that i have changed my appearance a bit, I realize that it will never be enough. I'll never live up to the high standards but i'm not sure i would go as far as plastic surgery.

i dont. i have low self esteem because of money, education, lack of sexual experience, and shyness. im pretty happy with how i look though. i can look nice, and i can look mean. i could do without all the 'body hair' though. but i like the beard, the lifting hair line, the dark eye brows.

After ten years of looking awkward and really not that great, I finally found my look and I'm comfortable with it. I think we all have one. We just have to try different things.

Through my teenage years I tried to fit in with the 'cool' looks of the time: stuff like spiked hair and Hurley t-shirts, baggy jeans. Later on I tried a sort of different hairdo. None of it looked good on me, but I didn't know what else to do.

A few years later I shaved my hair to a very short length, no longer than a quarter inch, for practicality at work, and started tucking my shirt in and wearing a belt, tighter pants. Turns out the clean-cut look is what does it for me. Who'd have thought?

I still have low self esteem about my teeth, and my ears somewhat. But other than that, it's all internal stuff...so little experience as a lover, my shyness and awkwardness. I'm not timid anymore, but internally I'm still shy and kind of hesitant and skittish about what to say or ask. I draw a blank a lot.

I look back at old pictures of myself (when my eating disorder was in full swing), and I get saddened by how much skinnier I was. People liked me more then, than they do now. Since I've deviated from my eating disorder, it seems like anything I eat makes me gain 5lbs. Working out isn't even making the scale go down.

I thought I was ready to let go after almost seven years of having it... I'm tempted to go back to it.

I don't really have low self esteem because of looks, but as for cosmetic surgery, sure I'd do it if I have extra money, just to get rid of the drooping eyelid at least, it just bugs me a bit, whether it be for look or it just feels kind of weird when I look up.

I certainly do, progressive balding here (not a guy). Doing all I can to stop it, had very little luck so far, and it's very costly. Apparently, my whole hormonal system and metabolism is a mess (never had a weight issue though, funny that), probably due to the thyroid disorder, and blood circulation in the scalp is very poor, which are all factors causing it. Working on it, but by god, I have so little hair left, I'm trying to put my mind into a kind of 'hibernation' concerning this issue, cuz stress and crying only makes things worse, but I still freak out regularly.

well, duhhhhhhhh, i bet half the people or more start on this downhill slide to isolation, inability to feel at ease with others due to what they perceive is their inability to fit into what society deems is normal and attractive. The media images out there are so outrageously beyond attainment, it just fosters billion dollar a year industries so that we too can feel like the "others" who are so successful, beautiful, popular, rich, famous etc etc etc. This is a consumer orientated society...the greatest moguls who make the big bucks found the one thing people really wanted or needed...or found a way to convince them that they had to have it.... so whether it was Estee Lauder pushing you too can be as flawlessly beautiful as me or Martha Stewart who is telling you you too can bake the perfect apple pie or have a picture book home or even if it was Cornelius Vanderbuilt making the trip between NY and NJ so affordable, so reliable and dependable, people came to rely on his boats.... across the board, we have an entire economy based on getting us to buy into the myth, the keeping up with the Jonses, the using of things to make us feel better, and more able to fit in, compete with everyone else out there who is trying to get all the things we want too..... it is exhausting isn't it?

I think the pressure has always been especially hard on women...it's only the last decade or two where men have become "eye candy", marketable six packs and nice round firm buns able to sell and promote products..... since time began, a beautiful face was used to sell and promote, but mostly it was women and the underlying message was buy this and you too might get a chance at snagging a gorgeous woman like me...because back then men held most of the economic power. Now that women have economic freedom, you've got the phenomena of the super star male model..... remember when the first dominant male model came into existence??? most of you probably can't...but it was the Marlboro man who suddenly became a symbol, not only of macho power, but a name was put to the rugged handsome face for the first time and the male model type was born.

I can be sort of **tchy about this and say, GOOD, glad the men now feel the same pressure we women always felt....but have people EVER been so depressed and disconnected from the world as they are today?

I think not. I really don't. I don't think people were as bombarded every minute of every day in the past like they are now to look a certain way. The pressure is relentless now. And of course, those of us who may not fit the norm or think we have the perfect nose, the right lips, small enough body are only going to have our misconception of what beauty or normal is reinforced daily by this society, making us feel more hopeless and powerless.

EDIT: again!! jeesh am I alzheimers bound or what today??? To answer the question of what am I going to do about it? No...not plastic surgery...jeesh, that's ridiculous. how sad to spend inordinate amounts of money trying to fit the mold.... BE YOU. FORK SOCIETY and the NORM. Gawd, have the chutspah to be you, different, imperfect, wild and untamed. Yeah baby....

but...yes, as of today, this is my first day of the diet...well, the healthier attitude towards food.... the mind set that I must take care of my body and myself ...only if it is another symbol or toy or way for me to remind myself I am worth something....I think letting myself get this heavy was just a way of reinforcing my low esteem...and when younger, a way to judge whether people really liked me for ME. When I was younger, I was only ever 20 pounds overweight, but still, it was important to me to NOT look sexually tempting, then how would I know a guy liked me just for me and not what he was hoping to get from me. My best friend in highschool was gorgeous, and I was the trusty sidekick, the one with the great personality, funky cutting edge clothes everyone else then copied.... she liked me for being "different" I liked her for being "normal and acceptable"...but I never forgot the day she told me " Jeeze jeeze freaking Louise, it is exhausting trying to figure out if he likes me for my mind and my intelligence and thoughts.... or whether he just likes the thrill of showing me off....I'm so tired of being that THING that proves he is so cool."

Now, I am so fat I think I used it to reinforce my old assertions I was a freak, a mess, a nothing, worthless, just another way I could hate myself, which was what I was best at..... hating me. a way to punish myself too....i think there was a need to hurt myself, and how better than to distort myself into this horror show. gets kinda sick, hard to admit to.

so ...today is the first day of the rest of my life where I realize I have to care for not only my mind and the thoughts I have...but also my body....and next September I am trying out for a nationally acclaimed Senior Dance Team....I wanna hip hop...love it!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back