Why am i so different?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildflower

Reaction score
I had friends in primary and high school..but i always had a bestfriend outside of school and thats who i only cared about. I had bestfriends during my school years but they didn't last.

Anyway, since school done i still had a few friends but i realized i didn't value them as friends and only cared about myself and i wasn't right to have friends so we drifted. I'm also too shy and socially uncomfortable so i nevee make new friends nor do i put myself out there.

I go everywhere on my own: shopping, walks, drives, get food. I spend a lot of time at home listening to music and reading and also enjoying my mum and grandparents company. I treasure my time with them cos i know they won't be here as long as i am.

I'm different compared to people i know my age cos they go out, have fun, spend time with friends and loved ones. I realized that when i look at their facebook and went totally emo cos it made me feel like i have no life when i actually had no huge issue with myself and my life. But then when i compare.. I'm like so lifeless...and i wonder if thats what i'm supposed to do. Everyone else is doing that...why aren't i? Why do i feel so alone that's this way at this age?

I'm a female btw. I just wanna know what you think? :/

Hello,

Well you shouldn't compare yourself to other people too much, it always raises more trouble than it's worth, just concentrate on yourself, and your life. Besides, I've always seen that most people on those social networking sites project an exaggerated life style, it's never as good as it looks.

Just because the social standard is to go out and create a higher "social status" for yourself by partying or whatever, it doesn't mean you have to as well, you already listed plenty of things you do, and so what if it's yourself, that's how you're comfortable and you enjoy it, right?

So basically you're feeling down because you're not a carbon copy of the generic facebook addicted teenager.
I'm similar to what you've described, few friendships in school and they didn't last, spend the majority of my time at home, but so what?
You shouldn't compare your life to that of people you don't even know, find something you like to do and then do that, having a hobby of sorts you really enjoy will make sure you won't feel so lifeless.
Lonely? well that's why you're here right, just talk so some people and get to know them :)

Well that's what I think, no reason to feel bad for being yourself eh?

wildflower said:
I had friends in primary and high school..but i always had a bestfriend outside of school and thats who i only cared about. I had bestfriends during my school years but they didn't last.

Anyway, since school done i still had a few friends but i realized i didn't value them as friends and only cared about myself and i wasn't right to have friends so we drifted. I'm also too shy and socially uncomfortable so i nevee make new friends nor do i put myself out there.

I go everywhere on my own: shopping, walks, drives, get food. I spend a lot of time at home listening to music and reading and also enjoying my mum and grandparents company. I treasure my time with them cos i know they won't be here as long as i am.

I'm different compared to people i know my age cos they go out, have fun, spend time with friends and loved ones. I realized that when i look at their facebook and went totally emo cos it made me feel like i have no life when i actually had no huge issue with myself and my life. But then when i compare.. I'm like so lifeless...and i wonder if thats what i'm supposed to do. Everyone else is doing that...why aren't i? Why do i feel so alone that's this way at this age?

your different and that is good. Be yourself. Nothing wrong with it. You do the things you like doing. If that means your by yourself most of the time then so what ?

yeah you'd be suprised how people are really feeling inside compared to how you may perceive them.
I dont think you are that different at all. Its good that you came here though and are open about your lonleness.
Ever want a chat, drop me a line.

Been there done that.

Best make good use of the spare time you have when not wasting your time on facebook like your friends are doing.

Find something to do with your time. Develop a new hobby. If it's a hobby you can turn into money, even better. Find something to do that makes you feel less like you're sitting around idle.

And of course you have to stop comparing yourself to everyone else. I was in this boat a couple years ago. I was 24, all my friends found good jobs, homes, and spouses. I was single, stuck in a retail job, still living with my parents. It's hard as hell not to compare yourself to people that seem to be progressing while you're stuck. You have to have faith in yourself that you'll get there at your own pace.

Dont waste your time on facebook and you will find that you are indeed not so different.
but different enough to be interesting for someone to discover.

Use your time to find out what interests you.... do things or just go to work.... money earned and saved is progress and you will appreciate it later.... trust me.

Because you're yourself and every flower is beautiful in its unique way?

Do not be jealous of other people. You can have whatever everyone has, if you're willing to pay the price.

For friends it's going somewhere and doing something you aren't too big on,
for lovers it's loss of independence and heartbreak,
for parties it's damaging your liver? :p you get the idea!

Urgh facebook. Pointless waste of time. And yes, I am a teenager.

You don't 'have' to be anything. Be yourself. You're obviously a lovely person, you have things in your life you enjoy. If you feel lonely and want the company of other people, then yes, you'll need to find a way of meeting people. But if you're happy with your life the way it is, only spending time with the people who really mean something to you, that's perfectly all right.

You'll probably be a lot happier living the life that suits you than wasting your life on the things you 'should' be doing.

wildflower said:

Hi wildflower. 9006 has good advice, you shouldn't compare yourself to others. We are all different. Different people make the world more interesting.

Speaking as someone who wishes that I had spent more time with my grandparents growing up, I think you're perfectly fine. You're too hard on yourself.

wildflower said:

Jezus! Are you me by any chance?!

I'm stuck in the very same situation. I've always been a shy and loner type person, but when I was at school I had 3-4 really close friends. People I could depend on to cheer me up. When I went to varsity I still made a few friends, but I only had like 1-2 true friends. I started to get busy with studying and stuff and then it dawned on me, I had no more friends. It's been like this for 3 years now. I do everything alone, I haven't found one single person that I like, and even if I do, I don't think I would bother getting to know them. I've become secluded and closed off. All I've got is my close family, my work (which sucks), and music. I used to like playing games & exercising, but I've completely lost the will to do those things anymore. It's like I'm slowly freaken dying, it blows!

welcome to the forum, your situation is similar to mine few friendships that fades too fast and alot of time spent at home alone . unlike people i used to know i am the only one who had a sad life and laughed at the whole time even by some females just because i am not like those kids who pretend to be cool btw i just turned 20 years old. it dosent really matter any way we just have to carry on who knows what might happen tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back