Why do people believe in God?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its a tradition.

I once tried to tell the true story behind the S.C to my son just to see what he'd say, the poor kid almost fainted.

no. he asked about satan though, I said its a bad angel.

about santa, I told him that if u pull santa's beard it'll come off and u'd see a dressed man...lol

ROFL=Rolling on floor laughing

I don't remember ever believing in Santa Claus, I don't think I ever saw him at the mall and sat in his lap etc. I sometimes wonder if Santa Claus is really necessary to Christmas, but I couldn't imagine not having a figure like that, I think people would freak out if we took away Santa Claus just like they freaked out when they took away the whopper for a day:(

DutchGirl said:
Once I thought I was a christian. Now I only wonder why people do believe in God. Is it because they need guidance how to live their lives? Is it because they can’t survive on their own? Or is it just because they were taught God exists? Please tell me.

I don't know, I think if anything religion gives us a very basic set of rules to live by. Maybe someone looked at the behavior of people and said "OK if you act like that then HE's(it's) gonna kick your ass down the road buddy!" Perhaps it gives hope to people to believe that there is an ultimate authority who will bring judgment even to the very powerful.

DutchGirl said:
Once I thought I was a christian. Now I only wonder why people do believe in God. Is it because they need guidance how to live their lives? Is it because they can’t survive on their own? Or is it just because they were taught God exists? Please tell me.

I should say I am not a practising christian.

Well if you have been tort something from birth then you are going to believe in god. But if you have the family, Good job and friends. And of course good health for yourself and the ppl you love then I would say its easier to believe that god loves you. Not so easy to believe when you do not have them things. Take then things away that make us happy and we start to Question the fundamentals of it all.

99leagues said:
DutchGirl said:

I don't know, I think if anything religion gives us a very basic set of rules to live by. Maybe someone looked at the behavior of people and said "OK if you act like that then HE's(it's) gonna kick your ass down the road buddy!" Perhaps it gives hope to people to believe that there is an ultimate authority who will bring judgment even to the very powerful.

Accrual that is kinda what I believe. That some one eons ago made all that stuff up to control the masers. Control is power. And the church is one of the most powerful movements in the world even to day. See when we fist started out there was no rules. The fittest survive and no one had power cos there was nothing to fear. You kill you got. The law of nacher. Then some bright spark thought up a way to control everyone and bang there was fear and then power. Prity cleaver really. I think it was probably one of them things that someone did to get out of trouble are something and it escalated into something much moor. Man well always manipulated to get what he wants. Its just the way we are. Look at any politician for prove.

Why do people believe in God?

For me the answer is because even in the darkest times when noone around you seems to care there is at least faith in a higher being, and a priest / vicar etc who will sit down and listen to your troubles.

However i do partially agree with what has been said above that religion / faith has and is being used as a tool to manipulate the masses, yes it may have been introduced with the intention to bring light to dark times but the sheer size it grew to led to it being used as a tool. People will do what their religion tells them if they believe it will move them closer to their God(s).

Something i have said for a long time is that, people are quick to blame a war on a specific religion or on politics but at the end of the day its plain human greed that starts it, religion and politics is just used as an excuse.

Now with regards to the whole Santa issue and why we still to this day continue to mislead our children so. This for me is an easy one to answer, I believe it is necessary to do this to our children purely for the fact that by making them believe a lie and then revealing the truth to them prepares them to be able to handle being lied and decepted later on in life. In letting them experience the hurt from the realisation of the truth it allows them to handle similar situations later on in life.

People believe in God for various reasons:

- Comfort and the need of certainty. It is easier to live in this jungle when you think that somebody takes cares of you, that there is a purpose behind everything, in spite of evidence, that perhaps it is a reason to exist in this world.
- Fear of death, both yours and the people around you, and of the unpredictable - disease, natural catastrophe.
- Rules of life, a moral code, the tools to make the difference between good and bad.
- The need to have an ideal or an ideal reality, something above the mundane things we meet every day. I remember a sentence of an Italian writer, Italo Calvino: "Literature means to make a story from the little that life has to offer". I think religion functions, in this respect, as literature: it is a narration whose starting point is life but it transcends it.
- There is certainly a beauty in the religious ritual, a powerful symbolism that attracts the human soul.

I consider myself more or less an agnostic, but I appreciate faith because so many people find healing and a purpose of life in it. Faith can be used as manipulation by some religious institutions, but there is a primordial need in the human nature to believe. I also don't think that the atheists are more "enlightened" than the believers. Atheism can be as well fundamentalist and inhumane, communism being an example of it, a sort of atheist Inquisition.

WOW! I agree with everything the both of you just said.

lonewolf said:
Something i have said for a long time is that, people are quick to blame a war on a specific religion or on politics but at the end of the day its plain human greed that starts it, religion and politics is just used as an excuse.

^^^^^^^^^
Inperticuler this, How true is that.

My believe is there is something there. I have no idea what. I don't think its a god that can do anything as am sure if there was a god of that sorts who was good he would of already done something to stop all this pain and suffering. I think there has to be a reason am just not sure for what reason.

I am a good person I believe and for that reason I hope that when the day comes that I pass to another world that I well have been true to myself and well feel no guilt for anything I may are may have not done down hear.

I think we all have a different calling and for that reason most all take different paths. Just I think if your true to your self and try and treat ppl good then one day you well be in a place of absolute happiness. I also think that we made the decision to come hear and bare WTF we have to bare on ourselves to get to where ever we wont to get to. Hope some of that made some kinder Sean's to yours. This is kinder what I believe.

^^^yeah, what Dulcinea said, my feelin's exactly...

And lonewolf too (except for the Santa Clause part, I'm still a believer!!)

DutchGirl said:

I would have to say that it is because it is what is commonly taught in this part of the world. Just as with any other religion. Everyone needs to believe in something, though not always in a higher power. For many people it is because it is hard to believe that we just cease to exist when we die. I think many people have no concept that there are many religions that all put themselves out there as the one true religion and to the people that follow them they all believe they are right.

For the record I am agnostic.

There are many things in life that are hard to explain and often the answers we have here and now today simply aren't accurate. It is very easy to see what we are looking for and very easy to ignore what we aren't looking for. However, one can't ignore that that which we aren't interested in still does exist. Another word for it is that we are bias in our observations of the world we live in. It's hard to see what we are blind to due to ignorance.

Honestly, I don't think it makes much sense to worship anything and I don't understand why anything or any one would want to be worshiped.

That's a pretty interesting point about Santa Claus. I can't help but think about how I would still feel if my heart had never been broken. I would still be very vulnerable and I wouldn't protect myself like I will now. But then, when the child gets older, he wonders, "Why did my own parents knowingly perpetuate a lie?" And it becomes the child's burden. Of course, this applies to things other than Santa. If I had been taught how to protect myself from the beginning, I would have reached the same result without my heart breaking in the process.

Question: Why do people believe in God?

I know this, I know this... *raises hand excitedly and jumps up and down*

Because "Bless America" would be too short a bumper sticker?

ss7 said:
Question: Why do people believe in God?

I know this, I know this... *raises hand excitedly and jumps up and down*

Because "Bless America" would be too short a bumper sticker?

How about "Bless America and the rest of the world"? ;)

I first raised the question and didn't come back to it, but I will soon.

frey12 said:
why would an omnipresent being care about countries?

Then why "God bless America"? I've seen and heard it so often.

Come on, Americans, jump in and tell ...

Latest posts

Back