Why is it sometimes deemed offensive to call women "females"?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgottendanfan

Reaction score
I've never come across the same being said about referring to men as "males". This topic isn't designed to create an argument or put anyone's back up. It's just a genuine question and a possible conversation piece.

I think it comes down to the LGBTQ community. "Female" indicates woman, yet not everyone who was born "female" is a woman or something like that.

I don't know, it's just a word. Words don't have power over you unless you allow them to. Every word is going to "offend" someone at some point in time.

I've never heard of anyone being offended by the term females. Maybe non-binary people are offended if they've asked to be referred to as gender neutral? Transgender men who were born female but no longer identify as female?
Can you give some context as to who was offended and in what circumstance?

Is it? I've never come across anyone who identifies as a woman being offended, did the person being referred to as female find it offensive or someone else?

I find it offensive.

for me ''female'' is a definition based on genetalia
a female dog, a male dog
a female gnat, a male gnat
a female human being, a male human being

so in a conversation about human beings
as in
''women prefer a man who listens and who is caring''
''woman'' is a female human being and that includes all feelings and intelligence and caring and loving
whereas ''female'' reduces me to a vagina and takes away all that makes me me

I've never come across the same being said about referring to men as "males". This topic isn't designed to create an argument or put anyone's back up. It's just a genuine question and a possible conversation piece.

Yes some women online get triggered but it's a habit for me and some older females in my circle when we generalize. We say male/female. Not an issue here. If someone gets triggered over "female" i don't care i'll keep using it. There are only 2 genders. Let WW4 begin. LOL

I'm kind of out of touch with current terminology. Is it still okay to refer to myself as me. Or, since I'm alone is there something else I should be using so I don't offend myself, which will piss off others similar to me, like Uno or Binary Zero or something else?

Yes some women online get triggered but it's a habit for me and some older females in my circle when we generalize. We say male/female. Not an issue here. If someone gets triggered over "female" i don't care i'll keep using it. There are only 2 genders. Let WW4 begin. LOL
when talking about female people, female human beings

would it be so difficult for you to say ''women'' instead of females?

because bluntly, when you say ''females''
you are talking about female humans, female dogs, female snakes, female cows, female elephants... etc
is that what you mean?
females of all species?
or female human beings? AKA women

you are talking about female humans, female dogs, female snakes, female cows, female elephants... etc
is that what you mean?
females of all species?

I usually say female about someone nonspecific. We only refer mostly to humans. I would's say a woman goat or woman snake...no wait i would LOL but that's a different topic. It's a habit. Sometimes i say/comment both woman and female or man and male. It's still better and very respectful compared to being referred to as invisible garbage or as nothing at all, in my case. If you think "female" is disrespectful, i can't even get addressed by my name where i am. Because almost every single female except few, who asked me for my name or i introduced myself to, go out of their way to forget my name and only give me a "Hey" or nothing at all. Talking about disrespect. But it's a cultural thing. I'm not the only insignificant male here.

is that what you mean?
females of all species?
Speaking for myself only, I have no idea what I use. Typically I just try to be grammatically correct. So, I'm thinking I use the term women. But, I might have also used females. Hmmm. I'll try to keep that in mind.

I tend to call males, guys though. I wonder if I've upset any of the men? But, I've also used guys to refer to women. Is that bad? It's just always been weird for me to say gals. It sounds so old fashion. I have said you ladies and got corrected by some youngsters that they were girls. I guess it depends on the age group. I think it's best that I just smile, say hello, and then walk away. But, I have been told that I smile too much. So maybe I'll just turn on my LED flashlight in strobemode for a second or two and that'll suffice. ;)

Speaking for myself only, I have no idea what I use. Typically I just try to be grammatically correct. So, I'm thinking I use the term women. But, I might have also used females. Hmmm. I'll try to keep that in mind.

I tend to call males, guys though. I wonder if I've upset any of the men? But, I've also used guys to refer to women. Is that bad? It's just always been weird for me to say gals. It sounds so old fashion. I have said you ladies and got corrected by some youngsters that they were girls. I guess it depends on the age group. I think it's best that I just smile, say hello, and then walk away. But, I have been told that I smile too much. So maybe I'll just turn on my LED flashlight in strobemode for a second or two and that'll suffice. ;)
But.. make sure you call me a female... as I find "woman" offensive. 😘

Just start calling us all bitches, hoes and whores and drag us around by our hair. :p

56880690.jpg

being referred to as invisible garbage or as nothing at all, in my case. If you think "female" is disrespectful, i can't even get addressed by my name where i am. Because almost every single female except few, who asked me for my name or i introduced myself to, go out of their way to forget my name and only give me a "Hey" or nothing at all. Talking about disrespect. But it's a cultural thing. I'm not the only insignificant male here.
just as many women's names are forgotten
just as many women feel invisible, like nothing, like garbage, disrespected... insignificant.... or used for sex and the guy doesn't remember your name afterwards

equal opportunity insignificance

just as many women's names are forgotten
just as many women feel invisible, like nothing, like garbage, disrespected... insignificant.... or used for sex and the guy doesn't remember your name afterwards

equal opportunity insignificance

I can only speak for myself. My mother is a woman. I know how they get treated. I never forget names. I never go out of my way to intentionally forget a name. I only meant to comment how it affects ME. Besides "hey" i also get a longer "heeeey" when i don't respond. One time i got "meow" from a friendly cat lady neighbor. I understand i'm insignificant or at least that's what i prefer them to think, but i respect everyone regardless of their status. I can't get the same in return. I understand why i get disrespected (no status, no reputation). Apparently it makes me a lesser organism. You have to see how my female neighbor uses Tinder trash men for sex and discards them. Just realized i have more than one female neighbor who do the same. But one is very close to me. I remember every single one i've ever met. From kindergarten, school, neighbors, work, anywhere.

Last edited:
I can only speak for myself. My mother is a woman. I know how they get treated. I never forget names. I never go out of my way to intentionally forget a name. I only meant to comment how it affects ME. Besides "hey" i also get a longer "heeeey" when i don't respond. One time i got "meow" from a friendly cat lady neighbor. I understand i'm insignificant or at least that's what i prefer them to think, but i respect everyone regardless of their status. I can't get the same in return. I understand why i get disrespected (no status, no reputation). Apparently it makes me a lesser organism. You have to see how my female neighbor uses Tinder trash men for sex and discards them. I remember every single one i've ever met. From kindergarten, school, neighbors, work, anywhere.

Perhaps you have a better memory than they do. Honestly, I don't always remember names, but I do remember faces.

But also, your words kind of contradict each other. You sit there and say you respect everyone, but at the next sentence you throw out assumptions and judge the hell out of them for those assumptions.

Latest posts

Back