Worthlessness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phantom

Reaction score
For most of my life I felt as if I had little value. When I was growing up, I participated in some things and they didn't go very well with me. I was also told that I didn't really matter by my siblings. I know they're suppose to say that but still. With those things under my belt along with poor social skills, I feel as if I believe it. I need to know how I fit in. But how?

Same here my man. My older brother is the image of the perfect man... But I was born with the family disease-a rare form of muscular dystrophy, it's never really affected me, but he always treated me like a worthless tool... He's a bigshit in the military now, with a brand-new Mustang and a hot gf, and i'm living with my mom and her new husband because the military won't take me and I can't keep a job at all... I really wish I could find out how to be normal and fit in somewhere.

I'm afraid I cannot give a lot of advice but say not give up and keep trying. Everyone has a purpose in life and we need to look for it. Don't try to pay attention to others or compare their successes with yours. ( I really should try listening to my own advice.)

Do you have a real hobby? If not thats something that will really help you. It did for me, when I became an artist.

You mentioned the military, is that even something you are interested in? I understand they wont take you, but see that as a blessing in disguise maybe. "Never work a job you wouldn't work for free", and if you would have taken part in the military because you needed to feel apart of something, you are trying to find some sort of emotional profit.

I definitely understand finding a purpose is the greatest goal one can achieve, but rather than longing to feel like you are "normal"(which is very eye of the beholder), you should look for your purpose. The wonderful thing about life, is that it can be anything. Even homeless people can enjoy there lives!

No offense, but if your brother is really that much of a prick, he's probably a dipshit, and most sane people wouldn't like to be around him for more than five minutes. I recommend ignoring him. But he's family? you could ask, haha shouldn't he be asking the same about you? And if he doesn't, he obviously doesn't care, why should you?

Sorry the first part was directed at both of you, the later parts - Number 6.

Why be normal and try to fit in? BORING! I say be abnormal and stand out. Siblings are supposed to give each other a hard time, for whatever reason it's what we do. My brother is very critical and bossy and he's only 3 minutes older than me. Like Moose said, take up a hobby if you don't have one, something no one else in your family does, something that interests you. Really it all comes down to why worry about what others think of you or trying to win over approval, we all want and crave that but bottom line is, you gotta do what you want to do for you and no one else. Be happy with what you do and who you are, and if other people don't like it then screw them.

Teachers told me I was a failure, my parents told me I was a failure.
Little kids like me (as I was then) were so sensitive and adults just so cruel, it gave me a lot of baggage to carry into my teens and adult years.

Siblings are supposed to support each other aren't they?

Phantom, where do you want to fit in and with whom do you want to fit in.?

Siblings should support each other, but they don't always, some learn some never do. My mom has a brother who won't talk to her because he's a butt, a sister that in just nuts, another sister that for several years they have been off and on, and only in the last 8 years have really started to come together, and a younger brother who hasn't spoken to her for like 10 years and only recently let all that baggage go. They are all in their 50's to mid 60's.

My brother still thinks he can boss me around and thinks he's better than me at everything, we're 35.

I have a 15 year old who works for me who hates his 2 holder sisters, they like to boss him around.

Then there are some who get along great, like best friends, some so much that it's creepy.

Yes my brother and sister have not spoken since 1991..over some pointless argument they had back then.

I try to be the family peacemaker, but some broken things you just can't fix.

funkymonkey said:
Teachers told me I was a failure, my parents told me I was a failure.
Little kids like me (as I was then) were so sensitive and adults just so cruel, it gave me a lot of baggage to carry into my teens and adult years.

Siblings are supposed to support each other aren't they?

Phantom, where do you want to fit in and with whom do you want to fit in.?
I suppose I want to be more involved with my family. We get along fine. It's just I feel distant from them because I'm different than most of my family members. As for outside of the family, I'm not sure. I'm at that point in my life where I need to find out who I am and where do I need to go you know? I took an interest in writing but I not sure how far that will take me or for how long.

Latest posts

Back