Would anyone ever consider using hypnosis?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magpieorpigeon

Reaction score
I have an appointment with a hypnotherapist on Friday. I suffer from clinical depression so I'm hoping he might conjure up some repressed memories and cure me!! Am I too optimistic? Also I bought some self-esteem hypnosis online from instanthypnosis.com,
has anyone ever tried hypnosis for anything and do you think it would work? I have been extremely shy and quiet my entire life. I avoid social situations and have lost boyfriends due to my low self-esteem and depression. I'm willing to try anything at this stage.... well... anything that dosn't cause too much embarrassment and agony..... :)

i would try it just out of curiosity. i wouldnt go in expecting much though.

...youuuuu are getting sleeeepyyyy....

You want to use hypnoooooossssissssss...

Your eyes are getting heavier...

....go waste your money on bogus hypnossssisssss programmmmssss....

I've listened to one of those hypnosis audio that's supposedly make you more creative while you sleep. It didn't do crap for me.

Ok, well after I go to him on Friday I'll let you know how it went. Who knows, I might dig up some regressed memory that might cure me?!! I heard of a guy who overcame his social anxiety because he went to a hypnotherapist who brought up a memory of him as a child, he remembered waiting for his father for a long time and so he feared his father wouldn't show up. It was then that he developed the phobia and now it is gone. Rationalise the fear and it goes away?!

I would be very careful with the "repressed memory" thing. I am not a doctor but psychology was one of my majors, and I can tell you that repressed memories is a controversial topic in the field. See, the way hypnosis works is that it makes you very susceptible to suggestion. So basically, under hypnosis, if they say "Do you think that maybe something like __ happened in your childhood?" you're more prone to "remember" this thing that never actually happened.

That said, hypnosis CAN sometimes be an effective form of therapy for some things, for some people. For example, if you're suffering from false negative beliefs about yourself (like most depressed people), you might be able to change that by opening up your mind to someone suggesting something different.

have you guys ever heard of the MK Ultra? they were mind controlling people or something.
and it seems kinda close to hypnosis, in my opinion. o.o;;
i would be one to try hypnosis, just to see if it actually works or not.
or...i don't know... \(o_O)/

MKULTRA was a lot more involved than "mind control" or something.

There were several different projects included under the MKULTRA project codename, including clairvoyance, far-seeing, psychological drugs, hypnosis (for training and as a weapon), telepathy, telekinesis, and many other aspects of mind power theories.

Personally, I'd like to see the results of some of those tests and findings from those secret projects in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s. But if they were doing crap like that back then, just THINK of what kind of crazy mind stuff they're studying and ******* around with right now! :D lol

Badjedidude said:
MKULTRA was a lot more involved than "mind control" or something.

There were several different projects included under the MKULTRA project codename, including clairvoyance, far-seeing, psychological drugs, hypnosis (for training and as a weapon), telepathy, telekinesis, and many other aspects of mind power theories.

Personally, I'd like to see the results of some of those tests and findings from those secret projects in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s. But if they were doing crap like that back then, just THINK of what kind of crazy mind stuff they're studying and ******* around with right now! :D lol

....i think i love you *o*!! i didn't think anyone would be interested in stuff like that :D!!

Caroline said:
....i think i love you *o*!! i didn't think anyone would be interested in stuff like that

Haha.. well I know a lot about it because I'm a history major and it's interesting stuff. :p lol But thanks for the luvs!! :p

And yeah, "The Men Who Stared At Goats" is a great movie that is about mind-power programs conducted under MKULTRA... or at least the military research funded by CIA programs like MKULTRA. lol

^^^That's the thing, though. If you already want it to work, then it could most likely work without hypnosis as well. It's just harder because it takes some work and willpower.

Badjedidude said:

As i recall at that time the Soviets were doing a lot of experiments and testing in the area of ESP. That Soviet interest got the CIA wondering if it was an indication that more potential existed there than they had previously believed. In the states, even though that area appeared to be dominated by flakes it was felt that it had to be checked out because if it turned out that there was actually anything there, they couldn't have a telepathy gap with the Soviets.

As far as what the project name was, i have no idea.

Minus said:
As i recall at that time the Soviets were doing a lot of experiments and testing in the area of ESP. That Soviet interest got the CIA wondering if it was an indication that more potential existed there than they had previously believed. In the states, even though that area appeared to be dominated by flakes it was felt that it had to be checked out because if it turned out that there was actually anything there, they couldn't have a telepathy gap with the Soviets.

Yeah, that sounds about right. :p I don't know all of the specifics of it, but that certainly sounds familiar and correct for the time when this all happened. Gobless the Cold War. :p

I just wanted to throw my two cents in.

Basically hypnosis is a psuedoscience. The problem I have with using hypnosis as a tool to "uncover" repressed memories is that it's very easy for them to "plant" false memories into your mind. Thats the reason I would never go to see a hypnotherapist, sure I have gone through some bad times, but I would never want anyone to making me believe something that has never happenend before. Memories are precious, and I want it to stay as true to reality as possible.

^^^Aaahh, but that begs the question: Are our remb'rances actually as close to reality as we think? Often multiple witnesses will give many different variations of the description of a car wreck, even though they all saw the same thing.

So when we record our memories, they're going through layers of our own perceptions, filters, and judgment processes... so the end product could be something so different from what really occurred that we're basically fooling ourselves into believing what we want...

...but that's getting into philosophy, and we could argue that all day/year/millenium and never get anywhere. lol

Either way, I agree. I would NOT use hypnosis as a psychological tool. I just don't think it's a good idea.

Latest posts

Back