Wrong

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsmylife

Reaction score
People say that when you hit rock bottom the only way is up.

I think they're wrong.

If that's the case...you most likely haven't hit bottom yet. There are a lot of times I THOUGHT I hit bottom only to find out later that I hadn't.

You can choose to get out of your "rut" (for lack of a better term) whenever you want, you just have to honestly WANT it.

In my experience, there can be several "rock bottoms" that you can hit throughout your life. I know I hit the worst of them about 8 years ago, but my way wasn't directly up. I kind of zig-zagged along and hit a few more "rock bottoms" until I turned a corner recently. It's hard to say what your "rock bottom" will be, because it's not easy to define, it's so subjective; but you'll know when you get there because you'll be in a place where you're ready to do whatever it takes to make good changes for yourself and not for others. That's when you'll find your way up.

I have hit the bottom. I know it. I have been here for a long time now. And believe me i would give anything to get out of this 'rut' it is in no way a choice.
I agree, I am zigzagging but I haven't got the energy for it anymore.

Thanks for replies

itsmylife said:
I have hit the bottom. I know it. I have been here for a long time now. And believe me i would give anything to get out of this 'rut' it is in no way a choice.

Thanks for replies

You don't have the energy because you don't want to. Having a positive mind is key. There MUST be something good in your life. You hit rock bottom once you are dead, there is always something to cherish in life.

I really hit the end of it all the other day.

Now am trying to fight back, asked people i trust today to help me, and i will fight back.

Good luck ;)

I respect the fact you guys have all taken the time to reply but I do wish people wouldn't tell me that i'm in this position because I want to be or that I'm not getting out of it because I don't want to. I have tried so hard to get out of this dark place I am in, I have turned to people I know, I have seen professionals and got nowhere. I have health problems and loneliness has swallowed me up. I did NOT choose this. I do NOT want it.

itsmylife said:
I respect the fact you guys have all taken the time to reply but I do wish people wouldn't tell me that i'm in this position because I want to be or that I'm not getting out of it because I don't want to. I have tried so hard to get out of this dark place I am in, I have turned to people I know, I have seen professionals and got nowhere. I have health problems and loneliness has swallowed me up. I did NOT choose this. I do NOT want it.

Well that's because I'm a positive guy :) If you seek comfort, I will give you comfort. If you want solutions, I actually tried to give you some. I would be happy to hear your problems even only if it made you feel better :shy:

I think the message is more like, the only way you'll get out of the darkness is by choice when you're ready to make that choice, because nobody else can make that decision for you. I certainly didn't choose depression for the first four decades of my life, nor did I want it! What I did choose was to help myself ONLY ONCE I felt I could get out of that darkness. If you're not ready for it, you simply cannot choose to change, despite whether or not you think you've hit rock bottom. It took me most of my life to finally be able to make that choice. Lots of people in my life back then just didn't understand what I went though, they would say things like "snap out of it" or "a nice walk will do you wonders" or "you should feel lucky you don't live in {insert war-torn country here}"...you'll only find your way out once you're ready and when you do, then it becomes a choice. Until then...keep zigzagging, you'll find a way at one point, trust me.

itsmylife said:

I agree with what Montreal Skye said. Also, the fact that you've looked for help, through various resources, says a lot in my opinion.
I also think that sometimes people discount the effects of health issues on your mental and emotional state. I think that, for some of us, climbing out of the abyss isn't always a "choice" but more a matter of circumstances. When the right combination of "circumstances" come your way, recognize it and be ready.
*hug* Good luck to you.

itsmylife said:

Thanks for replies

I agree with the poster (I think it was Skye) that said there are several layers of "bottom." I thought I was at the very bottom for 8 years....only to find at the end of those 8 years that I really wasn't. I honestly didn't think I could go any lower, but one night I did and it just opened my eyes to everything that was going on around me and I knew that I couldn't go on like I was, something HAD to change. It wasn't about WANT anymore, but NEED. Having no more options, no more denials.
That day was a turning point for me, that day make me see a lot of things I didn't want to see before. Things about myself, things about other people. I've hit bottom two times in my life in two different situations. I can't say if I'll find myself there again, but it's definitely not something I would wish on anyone.

Callie said:
I agree with the poster (I think it was Skye) that said there are several layers of "bottom." I thought I was at the very bottom for 8 years....only to find at the end of those 8 years that I really wasn't. I honestly didn't think I could go any lower, but one night I did and it just opened my eyes to everything that was going on around me and I knew that I couldn't go on like I was, something HAD to change. It wasn't about WANT anymore, but NEED. Having no more options, no more denials.
That day was a turning point for me, that day make me see a lot of things I didn't want to see before. Things about myself, things about other people. I've hit bottom two times in my life in two different situations. I can't say if I'll find myself there again, but it's definitely not something I would wish on anyone.

That's a good way to put it, a turning point born of need, because we can want it SO bad but wanting it doesn't mean we're able to take action. Sometimes wanting something leads to change, but most people in the rock bottom situation have to feel that almost life or death type of need. And I agree, I saw lots that I was in denial about when I had my turning point, but also forgave myself for not being able to see it before. Depression, addiction, mental and physical health issues...we sometimes get so clouded with the pain that it's all we can see. Very bad place to be.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I believe I would do anything to be in a different place. I know there is a lot I have brought upon myself, I also know life can let you down. There's only so many places that it is possible to turn to in order to avoid going under completely. However when you run out of those places I'm not sure what comes next.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate them all.

itsmylife said:
People say that when you hit rock bottom the only way is up.

I think they're wrong.

itsmylife, I think we all hit bottom sometimes. But I believe that sometimes those bottoms are 'false-bottoms'.

I've had several instances in my life where I fell through the floor, hit what I thought was bottom, then another bombshell struck me, and I was dropping yet again. Frankly, all of these issues were from people with cruel intentions towards me.
Was it possible that these things were at least partially my fault? Sure. But I wasn't prepared to avoid these pitfalls. I didn't have the skills, knowledge or resources. So I fell and fell, and it still hurts to this day.

I'm not going to be all positive, and tell you it's going to get all better. From your posts, I think you know that hitting bottom can sometimes be unavoidable, and unending.
I'd just like to say that I hope you're able to summon the strength to weather the storm that is upon you, and that time, by it's nature, tends to heal ills, or at least slowly wipe them away.

Latest posts

Back