You know your lonely when

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When people only contact you when they need something but ignore you the rest of the time.

When your work place does its "annual report" (a report of all the things that happened to people during the year- accomplishments etc - life events ) and, for the 10th straight year, not a single mention! Yes!!

Lost Drifter said:
- When you no longer feel embarrassed about going to the cinema or eating out alone.

- You visit 24 hour supermarkets just to be around other people at night.

Ah, I feel ya buddy :(

If it helps, you're a great dude and you were always nice to me on here. You deserve better.

I do both of these. A friend of mine gave me a weird look recently when I said I was eating at a bar alone, and I didn't understand. I've been alone for years, why is eating alone a problem? o_0

EDIT -

Okay, my one: You know you're lonely when every time a particularly attractive girl speaks to you with friendliness and interest, you correctly pre-empt that she's selling something. Depressing, eh? ;)

Xpendable said:
When people only contact you when they need something but ignore you the rest of the time.

Ugh. I hate that!

How about when the only time someone invites you to their house is to sell you something? No thanks. I won't even rsvp to these fake "parties".

You thought someone was your friend on Facebook. And then you see their pic go by with "Add Friend".

TheSolitaryMan said:
Lost Drifter said:
- When you no longer feel embarrassed about going to the cinema or eating out alone.

I do both of these. A friend of mine gave me a weird look recently when I said I was eating at a bar alone, and I didn't understand. I've been alone for years, why is eating alone a problem? o_0

I've never understood why people consider that to be odd, or to be a problem.. we don't all have to do everything together, all the time. Why should anyone feel embarrassed for being comfortable in their own company? How odd. I feel sad for those who can't do anything without being with others. What's wrong with independence? Why must everything one does be related to the actions of other people? Is it really that hard to be relaxed in solitude? Be your own good company, then you'll never have to worry what others think when you are in the company of others.

When you attend a group session with about 20 people in a small room, and you suddenly realise they have all broken off into groups chatting away happily and you are the only one alone.

I found that happened to me at Writer's Club last night - I almost watched it happen, as soon as break time arrived, the guy next to me and the people on the right all formed a group (so if I wanted to speak I would have done so from behind a fat guy's bottom) and the people on the left all formed a group. Leaving me in the middle awkwardly scanning the room, hoping to catch someone's eye or come over and speak. I know they probably didn't mean to and I could have got up and spoke but my anxiety rooted me to the spot. I left the session without saying a word to anyone as I felt invisible.

Aisha said:
I've never understood why people consider that to be odd, or to be a problem.. we don't all have to do everything together, all the time. Why should anyone feel embarrassed for being comfortable in their own company?

Don't you know... without someone with you -- you are no one. Last week the gay marriage decision came down. I guess I don't care but I resent this increasing idea that you are someone or something ONLY IF YOU GET MARRIED. It is blatant at this point... you are only important if one other person in this world wants you. When, honestly, if I wanted a body that wanted me, I could get it. And I think anyone here could too. It would be the easiest thing in the world. It is like how dare I want something better. ** Rant over***

When you leave for the long weekend and everyone else has these great plans and you don't...and you can't even fake it ... and there is that awkward silence... so what are you doing... um... nothing ** sad faces** *awk silence*.

Sadly, everynight of my life

LonelySutton said:
When you are desperate for someone to just take stuff off of you for just like 1 week. Just not have to do every single blasted thing. Being alone means that everything, no matter how unpleasant is yours to deal with... alone.

I often feel that :(

redbeard 44 said:
- When you come home from work and whisper 'hello nobody, I'm home'. I'm thinking of buying a cat and naming it 'nobody', so then at least I'd be talking to someone
- When you stop looking forward to weekends because you know it's going to be two days of struggling to find something to keep you busy and not look like a total loser doing it
- When it's hard to maintain proper eye contact for fear they may see the desperation/loneliness/sadness/whatever in your eyes.
- When the only words you mutter sometimes for the whole day is 'thanks, you too' to the cashier after she tells you to have a nice day.
- When some of the best conversations you've ever had had taken place with yourself inside your head, or even sometimes audibly.
- When you miss out on movies, weddings, concerts, camping, events, etc... because you don't like going to certain places alone without looking like a creep or feeling like a fifth wheel.
- When you know you're lonely, you don't want to be lonely, you know what it takes to not be lonely, yet you're still lonely
- When you wish you had even some of your worst friendships back, because at least that's something.
- When there's no point in cleaning up your apartment because you know no one is going to be in there to see it anyways. I've lived here for 2.5 years and not one soul besides myself has stepped into it... that I know of.
- When even eating alone in fast food joints seems awkward
- When you look away from love scenes on shows because it's a painful reminder of something you may have once had or feel like will never have again.
- When you can relate to certain characters on TV or in movies, for instance the movie Poor Boy where dude was kept imprisoned in an apartment for 30 years all alone... I can relate to that.
- When you see other people who aren't alone having a good time and socializing or whatnot and you feel a tinge of jealousy and sometimes spite... Why them?!

I'll think of more, this is my first post and I want to look around more.

Dont buy a cat, pick one from a shelter! u will give him/her a home, and you would would be companion :rolleyes:

when you get so excited because pigeon landed on your window and then you have someone nice to talk to.

When you create fake Facebook profiles and use them to create fake conversations.

h3donist said:
When you attend a group session with about 20 people in a small room, and you suddenly realise they have all broken off into groups chatting away happily and you are the only one alone.

That's happened to me more times than I can count. Also, hearing the words "ok let's break off into small groups" makes me cringe. It's like there's a small window where you're supposed to rush over to other people to group off but by the time I've figured out what's going on, it's too late! I never know what to do or where to turn after that. So embarrassing.

I've also known I'm lonely when the most meaningful conversation I've had all weekend is with a docent at the art museum.

Or when I dreaded coming home from work to a sad, dreary house for the weekend (that actually happened when I was married, good thing we're not married anymore :) ).

-Teresa

When days, weeks, months, and even hours and minutes all start to blend into one formality of existence of a confusing and disorienting non-ascent value and your dreams start lapsing into your reality, and your reality into your dreams. Too much time alone, is as bad as not enough time alone.

Niantiel said:
When days, weeks, months, and even hours and minutes all start to blend into one formality of existence of a confusing and disorienting non-ascent value and your dreams start lapsing into your reality, and your reality into your dreams. Too much time alone, is as bad as not enough time alone.

This. Absolutely.

1. You have several different text and messaging programs on your phone - but the most meaningful conversation you've had in weeks was when you spent hours keening over the body of your 14 year old, dead cat.

2. Your kid thinks that any time you actually *do* talk to someone outside the family, it means you're dating that person.

3. You get excited even when you get junk mail/email, because *someone* thought to send it.

When you have perpetual self-realizations that are like epiphanies by the means of watching re-runs of old tv shows and in a deeper retrospective analysis of your own life and it's meaning and purpose as you identify with

When your having a honeysuckle day / week and there is no one at all to talk to about it.

When you listen to music so frequently throughout the days that you suffer from a mild tinnitus.

LonelySutton said:
When your having a honeysuckle day / week and there is no one at all to talk to about it.

I agree. I feel the same thing away from here and in here. Somehow I became someone that doesn't matter in here.

Latest posts

Back