Your favourite video games!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely forgot one series of video games I play all the time, everyday. I'm addicted to the World Championship Yu-Gi-Oh! DS games. I usually play it right before I go to bed, I guess it helps distract my mind and looking at those little screens in the dark makes me drowsy.

I love the Lego games too, my brother has Lego Star Wars II, I have Lego Indiana Jones both games, Lego Batman, and I just bought Lego Harry Potter. Those games are pretty easy and a lot of fun to play. Plus you get to just smash stuff.

ENCHANTED ARMS

I'm playing this game right now, so I thought I'd write a small review for it. Maybe someone will come along, read it, and want to play it as well.

256px-Enchantarm.jpg

This a standard RPG with a standard storyline: Reluctant boy-hero, rebellious princess disovering her own strength, huge knight assigned to protect said princess, etc. So the characters aren't too fresh and there's one character that's so blatantly and embarrassingly homosexual that it actually sorta puts a bad image on homosexuals. Really, he's that bad. The story itself is pretty standard also... boy-hero accidentally releases evil on the world and must stop it to save everyone, blah blah blah. That's alright.

Given the somewhat lacking storyline, this game becomes about one thing: FINDING GOLEMS. Golems are the magical creatures that you find along your travels that you can use in battle. Like Pokemon but not as retarded. There are literally hundreds of these golems to find and upgrade, and each is more badass and awesome-looking than the last.

One thing that confused me at first about the game's battle system was the option to "auto-battle" and an option to "fast-forward" through battles. Wtf? If I wanted a game to play itself, I'd just not buy it, right? It took me a while, however, to figure out that in this game combat isn't the main draw (as it is in many other RPGs). MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT: This game is a menu-driven tactics game. It's all about beefing out your golems and switching your party members to collect that precious SP. Sometimes it feels like I'm actually spending more time in-menu than I am in the game world, fighting.

But I have no problem with that. I'm enjoying playing this game quite a bit.

Well, that's the end of my crappy little review. If it sounds interesting, play it! If not... well, do what you do for everything else that I say on here; disregard it.

I've been gaming a long time, hard to choose just one. So's here's a short list:

*RPG*

- Betrayal at Krondor (Used to be free sad.gif Still, one of the few text-laden roleplaying games that introduced me to the wonderful world of fantasy adventures. Still remains one of my favourite games to date.)
- Planescape Torment (An epic tale of an immortal amnesiac out to kick butt. Has a few quirks, but the rest of the content of this story-driven saga more than make up for it.)
- Icewind Dale (Beautiful music, great fun for LAN)
- Baldur's Gate & BG 2 (...but I don't bother with the expansion packs)
- Blades of Avernum (Old school adventure with all the goodies.)
- Albion (Great mesh of fantasy and scifi.)
- Silver (A little-known quaint roleplaying game with great music and decent combat)
- Arx Fatalis (Fun dungeon rompt in 3D. What more can you ask?)
- Jade Empire (Kung fu, great storyline and interesting world to explore? Count me in. )
- Summoner (Altho' the multiplayer aspect was a major dissapointment)
- Final Fantasy 7 (PC Port. One of my favourites from the series.)
- Lands of Lore (It may be old, but by gods, it's still up to par to most games.)
- Freedom Force (for you all nostalgic superhero comic fans, this is the perfect RPG for you )
- Wizardry 8 (Great game, laughing-out-loud fun dialogue and tear-inducing challenge from square one)
- Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura (Victorian era meets fantasy. Great setting, sadly, game itself felt unpolished. Unfinished, really.)
- Might and Magic 7 (Nigh perfect, aside from end game)
- NOX (Good little adventure RPG, dunno if most folks have heard of it.)

*FPS*

- System Shock 2 (Double the fun with LAN patch.)
- Hidden and Dangerous 2 (think HnD is still free nowadays, dunno about the sequel)
- STALKER (Chernobyl is a dangerous place, stalker. Shoot first, ask...no, just shoot.)
- Outlaws (Epic Lucasarts classic shootout between you and an army of varmints!)
- Blood (Very, very, bloody. Go against the devil himself and his army of mad kabalists.)
- Soldier of Fortune 2 (Saving the world black-ops style.)
- Duke Nukem 3D (Kicking hindquarters and chewing bubble gum... classic action game)
- Shadow Warrior (Wotaah! Another 3DRealms classic shooter.)
- Requiem: Avenging Angel (Game suffers from poor cinematics, but it's ever so fun to go around with your own personal army of resurrected Heavies covering your six)
- Half Life (+ Opposing Force. I don't bother with Blue Shift)

*STRATEGY*

- Dwarf Fortress (Undescribable, really. One should try it and witness the awesome content. Ease-of-use pack by May Green is great for those put off by running letters. )
- Anno 1404 (If you don't mind the cheating AI, it's a great, beautiful game.)
- Age of Empires II: Age of Kings (For years, the uncontested masterpiece of the genre. Still fun today.)
- King of Dragon Pass (Beautiful, deep game. Manage your celtic-like tribe in a world filled with wonders of yore, and become the titular King of Dragon Pass. )
- Jagged Alliance 1 & 2 (Great, great games. One of the few cases in which the sequel surpasses the first game, one of the best strategy games to date. )
- Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge and C&C : Generals are both great games for multiplayer fun.
- Startopia (Short, but sweet. Funny little space station management game.)
- Populous 3 ( Time to go a'crusading against other tribes, across the stars. )
- Dungeon Keeper ( It's good to be bad. Dungeon management game that became an instant classic in it's time. )
- Warlords BattleCry III (Great action/strategy RPG with lots of content)
- Battle for Wesnoth (it's free, lotsa downloadable content, too.)
- Commandos 1 & 2 (Cream of the crop when it comes to WW 2 strategy games.)
- Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive (A quality Commandos clone, in western settings.)
- Close Combat 2: A Bridge too Far (Great in-depth strategy game.)
- Men of War, Faces of War and it's predecessor Soldiers: Heroes of World War II (Best. WW2. RTS series. Ever. )
- Battlezone (Fight russians. In space!)
- Warcraft 2 (Loktag! This game franchise is so well known I shouldn't prolly even bother with lengthy descripti- ****. )
- Starcraft ( Ditto. )
- Burntime ( A post-apocalyptic strategy game. Pure gold. )
- Settlers ( Good series full of nice city building. )
- Evil Genius ( James Bond-inspired gem where you try to take over the world as the titular evil genius, while keeping one step ahead of the Interpol and other organizations sending assassins, saboteurs and super agents to stop you, you madman!)
- X-Com: Ufo Defence and X-Com Apocalypse (Don't be fooled to buying the new UFO games, 'tho. )

*ADVENTURE*

- Curse of the Monkey Island (Fabulous, funny, and great lookin'.)
- Day of the Tentacle ( Lucasarts strikes gold, yet again.)
- Full Throttle (Ditto.)
- The Dig (Ditto.)
- RUNE (Fight your way to Valhalla thru armies of enemies in interesting locations. Features the best voiceacting for Loki I've heard. )
- Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen (Vengeance is yours, from beyond the grave. Take the role of Kain the vampire, and wreak some undead carnage against rulers of a corrupt world.)
- Metal Gear Solid (PC Port. No Psycho Mantis reading, 'tho. sad.gif )
- Beyond Good and Evil (I cannot stress this enough- Great adventure game, sadly the sequel is still not here...)
- Dark Earth ( Main quest has time limit, but it's still great)
- Al Qadim- Genie's Curse
- Little Big Adventure
- Fredrik Pohl's Gateway
- Simon the Sorceror
- Return to Ringworld
- Lure of the Temptress
- Beneath a Steel Sky (Free nowadays, I think?)
- Death Gate
- Innocent Until Caught
- Legend of Kyrandia
- Drakan: Order of the Flame
- Get Medieval (Fun for coop)

* HYBRID*

- Thief: The Dark Project, and it's sequel Thief 2: Metal Age. Look for the unofficial expansion for the sequel, too.
- Hitman: Codename 47 (and other Hitman titles. Sneaking and killing made fun.)
- Deus Ex (Great mix of multiple genres, enthralling world and multiple endings. Yay.)
- Project Nomads (or Project: Nomad if you're really, really, really lucky. Different games and genres. The second one is a space sim where you face off the Master Control Robot's armada in a vast space universe. )
- Space Rangers 2 (So much in one game- also made successfull attempt to revive the art of text adventures. Also contains planetary RTS, space dogfighting, and more.)
- Dune (If you haven't read the book or watched the horrible movie...You take on the task of bringing house Atreides back from the brink of destruction to triumph over enemy forces on a planet that hosts all-important spice production capabilities. Danger and betrayal, romance and intrique in the midst of war!)

Hey thanks for the list!

Among others, Thief TDP and Thief 2 are my favourite games. If anything, i've been playing them for like 10 years on and off. i know some of the other games you've mentioned! they're pretty cool

The Monkey Island games were so much fun, they were so wacky and funny. Guybrush Threepwood, lol, what a name for a main character.

My top five favourite video games here.
Mass Effect 2
Custom Robo GameCube
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
Final Fantasy VI

Sci-Fi said:
The 3D is meh, not like they could do much with it. It mainly gives the game more depth, nothing really pops out at you except for the nuts that break off the vents when you pull them open (and even that's not make you duck kind of popping).

Someone at Nintendo (I believe it was Shigeru Miyamoto) was interviewed about the upcoming 3DS and he expressed his belief that 3D effects will help improve gameplay. There's the idea of it helping players to better judge distances between platforms and heights.
Or giving players a better idea of where the controllable character stands in relation to other objects around in Shooters like Panzer Dragoon, Star Fox, and Sin & Punishment. 3D effects are neat, but I hope developers can show it's worth so much more in gaming.

For this generation, my favorite games are:

Mass effect - Interesting space opera that mixed shooter and rpg together, I really liked it for the dialogue system, I think I enjoyed 1 more than 2, but 2 had a more revised combat system, but a bit restricted.
Uncharted 1&2 - Great overall package, decent and entertaining plot with decent gameplay and decent shooting mechanics and great controls.
Vanquish - Near perfect controls with great difficulty balance and crazy amount of polish in gameplay design, great mix of weapon usage results in a variety of combat potentials.
Bayonetta - Extremely polished action game with great improvements in the stylish action genre, weapon variety and combat option is top notch, pretty much broke most of the restriction an action game could have: all moves cancellable using dodge so no more delays that could leave you vulnerable, dodge offset (storing combo strings) letting you control the flow of the combat without stop, pure reflex based with great eye hand coordination/rhythm type gameplay.
VVVVVV - Simple retro platformer using only 3 buttons (left right, flip), creative levels and soundtrack was amazing, blast through it without a dull moment.
Persona 3 & 4 (ps2) - Good mix of school sim and rpg, unique combat system, fun addictive fusion system, spent hours fusing personas to fight for you.
Dragon Age - Old school rpg with great dialogue tree, I liked it better than Mass effect.

That's pretty much it, didn't really have money to buy all the high profile games either so I'm missing a few.

I would tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. So do you still want to know? I really want to tell you.

i think its going to be hard for anything to top the mass effect series for me. its a touch choice, but thats what i have to go with as my favorite.

Yeah, yeah I love turned based, romantic RPG grinders but new puzzle solving adorables are on my list. Am a horrible 1st person shooter.
Suikoden II
Diablo anything
Machinarium
Beyond Good and Evil
Rogue Galaxy
KotOR
FFX
A Bard's tale
Dragon Age
Pokemon
Parasite Eve
(ooc will add and edit this post)

My favorite game overall is a game called 'Gotcha Force' on Gamecube. I used to play it every day but in time I have grown not to play it at all. It's still my favorite game but I feel a bit too old for it now.

The Uncharted series is probably my favorite. Those games are so fun to play with great gameplay, graphics, stories, and characters.

The Batman games (Arkham Asylum and Arkham City) are also amazing. I've completed both :D

Too many epic games come to my mind...

1st Zelda OoT. A masterpiece in every sense.
2nd... is harder but I'm gonna go with Super Mario 64. Great adventure game.
3rd F-Zero X. So much adrenaline and the best metal soundtrack ever.
Then it's just a mix of great games. Commander Keen 4, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart, Super Smash Brothers, GTA III, GTA San Anrdeas, AOEII, Jazz Jackrabbit. House of The Dead, Pac-Man and Galaga on the arcades. Could go on...

Since i am primarily an rpg person, here is my list

Final Fantasy VI
Persona 4
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Dragon Quest VIII
Fallout 3
Tales of Symphonia

this is all that comes to mind at the moment.

@hopsfox: how is Dragon Age, i've always had a tiny urge to play one of the games, but could never bring myself to buy origins.
ive only played a demo of Dragon Age II and thought it was ok(i've heard mixed things about it though)

"@hopsfox: how is Dragon Age, i've always had a tiny urge to play one of the games, but could never bring myself to buy origins.
ive only played a demo of Dragon Age II and thought it was ok(i've heard mixed things about it though)"

Just bought the Origins and played through it. Pretty much linear, not much of free roaming to get money to buy items. Very easy to handle battle system and combat modes like in FF. The perk is you can play as good or evil depending on choices. The downside is you buy origins and then all the downloadable extra adventures cost a lot of money. All in all satisfied and since I'm 50 years old the action Dragon age offers is enough for me lol. Won't buy the sequel to Dragon Age but instead Diablo III. Heck waited 12 years for it.

well, there is a version that includes all of the DLC. i was planning on just buying that version if i was interested.

The Total War, God of War, Command & Conquer, Starcraft, GTA, The Sims, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Halo, Battlefield, Call of Duty, and Star Wars: Battlefront series. Also, Rise of Nations, Grand Ages: Rome, Tropico 3, America's Army 3, Men of War, Company of Heroes, Mafia 2, and Tom Clancy's EndWar.

My favorite games are a mix of fighters and rpgs. My favorites are:

1. Every "Breath Of Fire" title.
2. Every "Dragon Warrior" title.
3. "Mortal Kombat 9"
4. All "Street Fighter" titles.
5. "FF III", "FF VII", "FF IX", "FF VIII"
Pretty much these genres with a few racing ones on the side.

Latest posts

Back