Can't give rep anymore

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solivagant said:
A few people misuse the system, so it's disabled for everyone?

One moldy strawberry contaminates the whole container.

For all the talk about cliques in the recent past, doesn't this kind of thing just prove that there is (at least) one? There have also been posts from newbies about how to get reps. Maybe they want some just for the taking or maybe they want to know how to legitimately earn them, but posts about getting to a certain number of reps point people to look at those reps and when they do that, they don't see that they earned those reps honestly, they earned them because 2 people decided to make them look cool by repping what appears to be every post they make. This kind of shows newbies and veteran ALLers alike that it IS just a popularity contest. It PROVES the point of those saying the rep system is just a popularity contest, at least for certain people and that's not how MOST people use the rep system.

Maybe they were jealous that other people were getting more reps than them, so they decided they were going to give themselves their own. Maybe they just wanted to look cool. Who knows why they did it, they did and they did abuse the system.

Anyway, my point is, it's probably a good thing that it was disabled to show people that it is NOT indeed a popularity contest and it shouldn't be used as such.

As for IF it comes back. Does this forum system (I don't think it does) have the option to put the thank/like system on instead of the reps? Personally, I like that system better, as you can choose to thank someone for what they said or like their post instead of giving them a reputation point.

TheRealCallie said:
Maybe they just wanted to look cool.
If they thought...epic fail. LMAO!

TheRealCallie said:
Does this forum system (I don't think it does) have the option to put the thank/like system on instead of the reps?
I like this idea, as well as a 'kudos' format, where the post itself is given a thumbs up and only applicable within the thread.

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
Maybe until the rep system is fixed, sending a PM might work? Y'know, like a thank you letter.
I think this suggestion is a nice thought, too. Although, that could get quite hectic for those of us who would be messaging more than just one or two specific individuals. ;)

How am I going to catch up to ladyf now that it's been disabled? :(

Such a cruel, unfair world. T.T

kamya said:
How am I going to catch up to ladyf now that it's been disabled? :(

Such a cruel, unfair world. T.T

Clearly, you don't talk to the right people. It could have happened for you. I mean, as you have seen, 200 reps in a very short time is totally doable.... :club:

TheRealCallie said:
Clearly, you don't talk to the right people. It could have happened for you. I mean, as you have seen, 200 reps in a very short time is totally doable.... :club:

The reps you get are deserved. You are one of the most helpful and honest people here. :)

I had like 40 reps and then 20 disappeared and I FELT THE HEARTACHE. Good thing they're gone.

Solivagant said:
I'm confused by this decision. =/ Does it really matter if a few people want to rep each other ten thousand times? I mean, why do we care? It's not as though it's hurting anyone, it's just an annoyance, which I was ignoring like all the other annoyances that occur around here. Were they given a warning first?

Maybe I'm missing something... I guess I just don't see why it's such a problem that it warrants disabling the system. I understand they weren't using it in the best way, but what was the actual abuse? What line was crossed? Were they enjoying themselves too much? :p Are there restrictions on the reasons you can give reps?

I didn't think it mattered how often people gave each other rep points either. I just always felt that some people used them sparingly, and others used them liberally. Some people only used them for deep posts, and others used them just because they liked another member. I can understand how using them too often kind of cheapens the value of them, but everyone values rep points differently anyway. I could guess that some people were using the point system more liberally than others, but I wasn't offended by it. It's not like they are money, or that you win a prize after you get a certain number, or that you unlock some kind of rank or ability once you get so many. It's not like they were stealing something.

I wouldn't even call it an annoyance. It didn't seem like they were up to no good, just a little joke that got out of hand I guess. Some people just like to see a certain number by their names, like getting stickers or gold stars in grade school.

I get that it's not my decision to make. I just wanted to say that I for one could tell what was probably going on and didn't really care. And I also noticed a little hate going on towards the rep-crazy parties, but it just felt like they were having some innocent fun to me.

TheSkaFish said:
I didn't think it mattered how often people gave each other rep points either. I just always felt that some people used them sparingly, and others used them liberally. Some people only used them for deep posts, and others used them just because they liked another member. I can understand how using them too often kind of cheapens the value of them, but everyone values rep points differently anyway. I could guess that some people were using the point system more liberally than others, but I wasn't offended by it. It's not like they are money, or that you win a prize after you get a certain number, or that you unlock some kind of rank or ability once you get so many. It's not like they were stealing something.

I wouldn't even call it an annoyance. It didn't seem like they were up to no good, just a little joke that got out of hand I guess. Some people just like to see a certain number by their names, like getting stickers or gold stars in grade school.

I get that it's not my decision to make. I just wanted to say that I for one could tell what was probably going on and didn't really care. And I also noticed a little hate going on towards the rep-crazy parties, but it just felt like they were having some innocent fun to me.

^ Those were kinda my feelings on the matter too.

TheRealCallie said:
As for IF it comes back. Does this forum system (I don't think it does) have the option to put the thank/like system on instead of the reps? Personally, I like that system better, as you can choose to thank someone for what they said or like their post instead of giving them a reputation point.

^ Great idea! I agree with this..

Or then IF the rep system ever come back then make them invisible that ONLY the person who got the rep would be the only one seeing it?

Solivagant said:
^ Those were kinda my feelings on the matter too.

+1

Someone mentioned sending PMs instead, (I think it's nice idea for getting people closer )... but for me option with reps or likes is better because I'm not person who usually sends PMs, and I don't want to quote someones post in the middle of conversation just to say ˝I agree.˝, so giving rep points was nice way to tell someone that you appretiate their opinion or like what you see.

I don't mind getting PMs, but for me, those are typical for issues or problems. I do, however, like a thank-you system. I know of a few places that have that, and it's rather nice.

After talking to one of the parties, it seems like there was some confusion over the purpose of rep points. I myself haven't seen any official rules on it posted anywhere - in fact, the only clear rules I know of are:

- No insults or name-calling (though I feel like this has been exploited / worked around).

- No misogyny (although I feel there should be a similar rule for misandry; "man bashing" or "nice guy shaming", especially, seems like the same thing to me in reverse, and should not be allowed - even the text box here thinks "misandry" is a spelling error).

- No threats of violence, especially against another member.

- No talk of suicide or encouraging another to harm themselves or take their own life.

- No spam posts for products or websites, no links to untrustworthy sites, no links to anything illegal.

Also, I also only know of these rules because I have seen them come up in the threads. I might have missed it, but there doesn't seem to be an official list of forum rules anywhere stating exactly what is and isn't allowed, and the penalties for each offense.

I'm just saying maybe this whole rep point situation could have been avoided if there was a clear list of forum conduct rules stating how rep points are to be used here. I really think this was all an innocent misunderstanding.

Dandelion said:
^^ +1 rep for great post above :)

Hahahaha....when they come back online, I will be awaiting my rep point from you! :p

It's not breaking a rule to spam rep points. Just because it's not a rule doesn't mean it wasn't misuse. It's a little bit of common sense and common decency not to spam anything in the first place.

VanillaCreme said:
It's not breaking a rule to spam rep points. Just because it's not a rule doesn't mean it wasn't misuse. It's a little bit of common sense and common decency not to spam anything in the first place.

I understand. And, I also agree that the purpose of rep points probably was obvious to most people. But without a specific rule written against it, it still is kinda open to interpretation. Like if there were no speed limits, just "don't go too fast". Is 40 mph too fast? 50? Is it too fast just here, or everywhere? Some people need specifics otherwise they don't know how to act. Not everyone is good at inferring things, particularly when social skills have not been fully developed due to loneliness. We are on a forum for lonely people, after all.

It's been my experience in life that sometimes, common sense and common decency are not so common after all!

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just saying, I don't think the rep-point people were out to be "bad guys".

TheSkaFish said:
VanillaCreme said:

I understand. And, I also agree that the purpose of rep points probably was obvious to most people. But without a specific rule written against it, it still is kinda open to interpretation. Like if there were no speed limits, just "don't go too fast". Is 40 mph too fast? 50? Is it too fast just here, or everywhere? Some people need specifics otherwise they don't know how to act. Not everyone is good at inferring things, particularly when social skills have not been fully developed due to loneliness. We are on a forum for lonely people, after all.

It's been my experience in life that sometimes, common sense and common decency are not so common after all!

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just saying, I don't think the rep-point people were out to be "bad guys".

Seeing as the offenders think it's just hilarious, I'd say they know **** well what they were doing....

TheSkaFish said:
VanillaCreme said:

My point in that post was that common sense shouldn't require a rule. The fact that it was compared to spam should say something. Spamming isn't allowed on the forum and is contained as quickly as possible. So spamming rep points would merit the same treatment. We're not here to babysit and tell people how to act. That's not our job. I understand you're not trying to argue, but the same people who want to say, "There's no rule over it!" are usually the first people to want to argue with us about rules. So, even if there is a legit point in the argument, the way it's gone about makes the door slam shut.

TheRealCallie said:
Seeing as the offenders think it's just hilarious, I'd say they know **** well what they were doing....

Sure, they knew. And for those asking, "Why should the entire forum suffer?" ... You can thank the people who made that possible when they started spamming reputation points and then brought it our attention all on their own.

TheRealCallie said:

See, I don't think they do. I think that at least two of them are not native English speakers, so some of what they think might be lost in translation, on top of what is already lost due to this being communication on a forum and not face-to-face. They are also somewhat younger than the average member here so they might be lacking in maturity as well, like a kid who ate too many cookies. I think they were trying to apologize in a light way to ease the tension.

I don't know. I don't even care that much if the reps come back or not, though it was nice to get a genuinely thoughtful or encouraging comment with them sometimes. I just want to say that they thought they were just playing a little game, a game amongst each other and probably didn't even realize it would affect anyone outside their group. I don't think it was a "hey let's break ALL!" kind of deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back