Do pets help with loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Stars

I feel there's a void in my life...the thing is; it's not like everyday I dream of having some wonderful partner because the reality is - relationships are hard work and full of disappointment and failure. I mean, there's some good...which is why people stay, but for the most part - it all falls apart. No need to debate on that last statement...because if it wasn't the case; majority of people wouldn't be either: A) Unhappy in their relationship, B) Cheating, C) Single, Divorced etc...and the best moments in life are fleeting. I find that if good things happen for too long; people take it for granted and trash it.

So I've given up on love...but not like in the sense that I'm shutting out opportunities. I'm still on an online dating site, but I just don't really "hunt" like I used to. Whatever happens, whatever happens...just going with the flow.

But sometimes I just feel kinda...like I wish I had something to love.
Wonder if a dog would help...it'd be like having my own kid (minus the things about kids that annoy me so much...:p)...

Thoughts?

Pets can be very therapeutic. I suggest that you get yourself a puppy. This way, you can take pleasure in watching it grow up. It will also make the bond between you even stronger. I'm certain that there are a few available at your local animal shelter.

You might also consider buying a purebred puppy. They're costly as I'm sure you know. We used to have a Basset Hound. He cost like $1100.
If you are like most people in the world these days, that kind of money is a lot.

I am certain that there is a puppy at the shelter who is just hoping to get adopted as much as you are hoping for a companion.

m58150.jpg

Stars said:
I feel there's a void in my life...the thing is; it's not like everyday I dream of having some wonderful partner because the reality is - relationships are hard work and full of disappointment and failure. I mean, there's some good...which is why people stay, but for the most part - it all falls apart. No need to debate on that last statement...because if it wasn't the case; majority of people wouldn't be either: A) Unhappy in their relationship, B) Cheating, C) Single, Divorced etc...and the best moments in life are fleeting. I find that if good things happen for too long; people take it for granted and trash it.

So I've given up on love...but not like in the sense that I'm shutting out opportunities. I'm still on an online dating site, but I just don't really "hunt" like I used to. Whatever happens, whatever happens...just going with the flow.

Wonder if a dog would help...it'd be like having my own kid (minus the things about kids that annoy me so much...:p)...

Thoughts?

i imagine dogs can help. I don't like them myself but I do see plenty of lonely people who do have dogs or cats.

I agree with you about relationships. We crave them yet when I met someone last year I was never happy. I was always wondering whether to split with her, wondering when I would see her next, wondering where it was going etc. It was just pure stress, not enjoyable. I know she was a ******* and if I met a nice woman it would probably be alot better. But what are the chances of that ?

Pets do help with loneliness, quite significantly so. But they are also a bit limiting, I can never go anywhere or do anything very easily because I have to stay and look after my pets.

The only downside is that dogs are really a lot of work, will likely drastically alter your daily routine, and puppies are really not suited for a lot of kinds of people (particularly those who can't be around them all the time, puppies cannot be left alone all day) You can bond with an older dog just as easily and they have fewer chances for adoption.

If you really do want a dog, just make sure to do a lot of research, plan for enrolling the dog in training classes and make sure you find a dog that is the right breed and energy level for your lifestyle.

A dog's mission in life is to love its owner. Well, and to eat, sleep, bark, whine, play, poop and shed hair. :) Having dogs has been wonderful for me, but as Barbaloot said, it can be limiting. I have to plan everything I do keeping my dog in mind, which is okay because he's like my family, so I'm happy to do it. He's older now, so I can't leave him alone too long which really limits the choices I make for myself. Vet bills and meds can be expensive too, so it's good to keep that in mind. I don't ever regret getting dogs, but some days when I wake up and realize that I am my dog's entire world, that he depends on me for everything...it's overwhelming. On the other hand, my dog is cuddly and cute, he doesn't mind listening to me whine and rant, he makes me laugh when he acts silly and playful, he gets me up in the morning and he gets me out the door for walks 4 times a day. If you have the time to devote to a pet, I think it would really make a difference for you!

As Barbaloot says, a pet can limit your life but, on the other hand, a pet can make a big difference in the life of a lonely person. Obviously it isnt the same as having a person to come home to, but it is a living creature to love and care for and you are never completely alone. I don't have a pet at present but am thinking of getting a budgie.

I have a cat. I find that it does help you not feel so lonely. It's nice to come home and have them greet you, and welcome you with unconditional love. Pets are really helpful.

Hi I'm new here, and saw your post. I also have given up on love, too much heartache, I've found, and I have a dog. He is my best friend, and the fun part is he loves me no matter what! No matter how bad my day was, as soon as I walk in the door, everything just fades away, and I'm happy. I suppose pets aren't for everyone (they are a lot of work), but, for me, I honestly don't know what I would do without him. He's the best company! I honest think animals are a gift, I would be so much worse off without him.
Hope this helps!:)

Stars said:

Thoughts?

Sure, I think pets can help. They're no substitute for human beings. But they're furry and cute, and you don't have to keep up a conversation with them.

I've never owned a dog, but my cat seems to love me plenty. Sometimes I feel like she understands I'm lonely. She'll come jump in my lap sometimes when I get home. It's the cutest thing ever :D

I had a cat till my brother made me get rid of him because he hated cats. My cat was 11 years old. All because I was living with my brother! Now I am on my own and wished I still had my cat. Think I'll get a small dog. See if they have any at the humane society. A dog would be a nice change but not one too hyper. They make excellent company. I am very lonely and depressed in the apartment alone.

It depends on the pet. One of my friends has a turtle.... and well... it's there, but it's hard to love it because it doesn't do much. On the other hand, dogs are great. A few minutes ago I was feeling like I wanted to cry, and suddenly my beautiful beagle jumped on me and gave me a puppy kiss.

It really helps seeing them feeling so happy and cheerful each time they see you. They really are sweet, innocent creatures.

2 cats.
Love them.

They animate the house, energize the mood and provide love and warmth and connection.

I think a Pet would help your feelings. But it wouldn't be a solution. In time you may feel the same way you feel before you had the pet.

If it was not for my two cats I would have taken myself out a few years back. See it's not only the give affection, get affection back aspect, but when you are caring for another life you feel needed. Although I'm not running towards it, I really don't fear death any longer. What I do fear is not being here for my kids.

Latest posts

Back