WHERE DO YOU MEET PEOPLE?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maidahl

Reaction score
I have had to cut a lot of people out of my life lately. Many were deleterious to my health and well-being. To cut a long question short, where do you meet people to make friends with? I could use a boost in relationships as of late. I have clear goals and interests. I'm pretty socially adept. I just don't get how, in my twenties, I can meet people. I don't go to school over the summer, so that's not a viable option. I am agnostic, and I tried church, but I was only accepted by the lame pretty crowd. That's cliche, and I'm sick of people that are fake and poserlike. That seems to be the only kind of people I attract. The other young adults got awkward around me; not intimidate exactly. I'm nice, pretty upbeat, you know? I'm looking for a place to meet 3D people, even though sites like this help a lot to get through the midnight. ANy suggestions? I'm tired of getting hit on at Starbucks by creepsters. I'm talking real, deep connections. I'M LONELY ALREADY

The outside world...that's the best answer you can really get. There is not special place to meet people, you just have to go where people are.
Regardless of where you go, you will find fake people, they are everywhere.

I get that facade-porcelain people reside everywhere. But I am out of the house ALL day. I work online though at Starbucks, so I spend my time there. People don't go to coffee shops to make friends. Where exactly is the outside world again? I get that we live in the big wide beautiful world... I kinda thought that was implicit in my question. Like suggestions: singles mixers, for example. Which are excruciatingly awkward and laaame.

If there are people there, you can find friends. It's as simple as that. Bars, clubs, malls, libraries, bakeries, town meetings, parks, gyms. Wherever...if there are people, you have the opportunity to make friends.

Thank you. That actually helps. I might try that. I cut pasted that to my phone

Uh.. do you just go up to them and say what's up? Help!

Unwanted94 said:
maidahl said:
I have had to cut a lot of people out of my life lately. Many were deleterious to my health and well-being. To cut a long question short, where do you meet people to make friends with? I could use a boost in relationships as of late. I have clear goals and interests. I'm pretty socially adept. I just don't get how, in my twenties, I can meet people. I don't go to school over the summer, so that's not a viable option. I am agnostic, and I tried church, but I was only accepted by the lame pretty crowd. That's cliche, and I'm sick of people that are fake and poserlike. That seems to be the only kind of people I attract. The other young adults got awkward around me; not intimidate exactly. I'm nice, pretty upbeat, you know? I'm looking for a place to meet 3D people, even though sites like this help a lot to get through the midnight. ANy suggestions? I'm tired of getting hit on at Starbucks by creepsters. I'm talking real, deep connections. I'M LONELY ALREADY

Well, I'm a freethinker, and I can tell you that religion isn't the answer. How so? Well...For one, many religious people are very judgmental and that they act like they know what's best and they just KNOW that 'God' exists. You may feel alright initially, but once you decide to leave whichever group you're part of,you'll then see who your *real* "friends" are.
You can really meet anyone anywhere, but I suggest a place of common interests. I'm sorry if I'm not being very helpful. I gave up on this whole "friendship search" thing months ago.

HAHAH. just know? yeah, man. Have some faith. It's sick. But some people can be cool. If you're hard up and desperate for anyone. Common interests places? I already work in my field of interests.... It's online. But the suggestions are REALLY helpful. I want to thank you guys. Really made my day come true.

ANYWHERE.

Just talk to people anywhere you go.

You'd be surprised at how many people will talk to strangers about their lives and share intimate details.

People just wanna be heard.

Take advantage of that.

How do you start? Hi, my name is Laura? What's up? I only get approached by guys probably looking for a shag or a dinner date. I am not looking for a relationship right now. I get that some guys can be cool, but the location I inhabit is pretty high life and filled with guys looking for a cheap lay and quick thrills. LA is a body work.

^^^Depends on the situation.

"Man, these buses suck ass, right? Where you headed? You live around here? You a shop-a-holic, huh?"

It's easy to meet people. Just notice something about them. Ask a neutral question. Tell someone you like their shirt. Make small talk.

*shrug*

I don't know. Most people just go to bars and clubs, but that's not me. I can't meet anyone except on-line because most girls judge me and stuff, make me feel bad.

The only way I can, is to find forums like this and hopefully, I get recognized. I can't meet, people outside of the internet, but at least I get to talk to some from time to time.

@LostSoul: This site fulfills me only somewhat. I need 3D interaction. But on the judgement thing, I get that. Totally. People have opinions, some cruel, some cold, especially in LA, the world. Especially everywhere. I care what people think, but I try not to make it cause me to change or conform. Yes, we all get normalized by every social interaction, but it's hard when you feel judged. Hang in there. I'm here at least!

maidahl said:
@LostSoul: This site fulfills me only somewhat. I need 3D interaction. But on the judgement thing, I get that. Totally. People have opinions, some cruel, some cold, especially in LA, the world. Especially everywhere. I care what people think, but I try not to make it cause me to change or conform. Yes, we all get normalized by every social interaction, but it's hard when you feel judged. Hang in there. I'm here at least!

Thank you. :)

I don't feel confident enough to really say "Busstops etc...." Isn't that creepy? A girl once asked me Where I got my jeans. We started talking. I was at Starbucks, of course. She ended up being really crazy and left once she asked me if I was straight. I am, btw. I don't know. I don't want to come off desperate. But I don't want to be so alone.

maidahl said:
I don't feel confident enough to really say "Busstops etc...." Isn't that creepy? A girl once asked me Where I got my jeans. We started talking. I was at Starbucks, of course. She ended up being really crazy and left once she asked me if I was straight. I am, btw. I don't know. I don't want to come off desperate. But I don't want to be so alone.

"I don't want to come off desperate. But I don't want to be so alone." Me too, but on-line sometimes it's clear that I am desperate. I've been through so much.

Me too. Trauma. I don't want to come off too strong. Some people will try to hurt you because they feel hurt. I guess I'm scared of rejection.

Well you walked out your door now open your mind. Everyone puts up a mask. Why not give more people a chance. Next time a creepster hits on you actually converse with him or her.

Otherwise just talk to people in random places.

Latest posts

Back