A life without the want for success

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hg2t4e

Reaction score
Hi,

One of my friends had this as his status of Facebook - "My first priority is to live a life, not a SUCCESSFUL life!"

He is that kind of a person that you can guarantee never to give results, if the least, you expect, let alone the want. Characterized by low grades and no serious commitments that can ensure a financial stability, I reckon that he is in denial of a hard working life. What I gather is he believes in dreaming about dreams coming true (if you get what I mean!). A hundred excuses would come up instantly to avoid doing that requires hard work but draws motivation from celebrities who were runaways and now have great careers, again I am assuming that he sees only the 1% talented people who have succeed like that, and fails to notice the lingering black cloud over the remaining 99%.

I am going to add that the title of this thread along with this writing reflect my inner principles but I'd like to know what you all think of the person who has such a status.
I've searched Google only to find articles on how to be successful, and one day I just stop to realize, wow, everyone is after success. No one really wants a unsuccessful life! ( I am assuming that a life without success is an unsuccessful life).

Your views please.

Thanks

HG

A very sad commentary on today's progressive-left youth. Who do you think will paying for their lazy-ass expenses? The conservative-right.

LGH1288 said:
A very sad commentary on today's progressive-left youth. Who do you think will paying for their lazy-ass expenses? The conservative-right.

How do you know it's the progressive youth?

Its a sad tale that youth these days don't talk much with their parents. I am sure he will get a great insight to his situation (which he is currently blind to) by just talking his parents.

Cattle will die
Kinsmen will die
I myself must die too someday
All are mortal men, but fair fame will never fade
For the man who wins it...

-Tyr, Land

I don't think you can so easily break down the problems of the world to the progressive left or conservative right...because they're both part of the overall problem. There really is no difference between a Democrat or a Republican. They both have special interests and they both play off of each other to reach a desired end. Normal people are a pawn to one or the other, or are otherwise stuck for the ride as some of the only passengers actually looking out the window.

Or they're one of these kids who may or may not think they're going against the establishment by working for minimum wage and riding their skateboard/smoking weed all day.

I don't care what happens to them. Rot for all I care, they want it and deserve it. Their lives past 30 will be hard and they will retire to nothing except a meager social security check. It does piss me off though that so many of them will receive safety net benefits off of my back when they don't deserve it or genuinely need it. ******* bastards.

Well . . You don't really know what's going on in his mind.
I don't think you can automatically assume he's just being lazy.

A life without the want for success seems to be a life without any meaning or motive. For every human being in this world either they are kids or old, it is important to live a life to achieve a success.

It's kind of hard to really define success. For some people, it's getting that job they've always wanted. For others, it's cooking a favorite meal just right. And for people like me, it's knowing that all your bills are paid, you have food, and you're ready to game.

So saying someone is lazy just because they don't fall into your definition of success is kind of wonky.

Life is in the struggle. He who lives without striving, without victories to be gained or defeats to be feared, without enemies to be vanquished or allies to be vindicated, for whom there is nothing either sacred nor defile, lives a tragic shadow of a being. He is little more than beast: living, breathing, eating, ******* and defecating without either aim or end, and has sacrificed the greatness of spirit to the temptations of sloth.

This I believe.

To the OP: keep on fighting. Even if you fight for a cause that I consider as morally evil and despicable, I will still respect you more than anyone who fights for nothing. I like to think that all men intuitively understand this, and respect the notion of the warrior in and of itself, but tragically, this is not so.

I can see both sides of the coin. There are different types of success. Out market based world, which turns around greed and filth makes people into beasts. I work in a very stressful enviroment, I study around very competitive people and I asked myself a lot of times the same question: "Is it worth it?". And I think it isn't worth it. Today people work to make money and then spend their money, so they can try and recover their wasted health, which was lost in the first place, because of the pursuit for accomplishing something. Ignorance is bliss. People who reach a hundred years aren't airport dispatchers, politicians or brokers on Wall Street.

Bethoven for example reached his goals despite the impossible odds, health issues and rivals. He left us something phenomenal and today in the paper there was a poll in which they asked people "Who is Bethoven?" and half the people thought he was a dog.... Many geniuses realized in the end of their lives that all their success is a sham.

Stephen Hawking said that we are "just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star." Overthinking it is useless. People should live life how they understand it, because in reality nobody knows anything about nothing.

i kind of agree with nills. i am a VERY simple person. if i have a roof over my head, food to eat, and i can play my games and watch my movies im good. i dont do any drugs and i rarely drink. maybe i just havent found what im looking for yet. but i think that it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round, and i am just one of those simple people.

I think he should do what he want's to do. It's his life, you shouldn't have to work if you don't want to, you're only he're once, each to there own.

Personally I'm working as hard as I can so I can retire at 40. Then I'll grow a beard, sit in a massive garden and reflect upon life...

Bruce Williams said:
Its a biggest stupidity and all the those persons who do not want to work hard just present such a fake theories to defend their selves.Life is nothing without a destination,goal,aim.We are not gonna live the life of a mystic where we have to perform self exercises.So i am totally against of such a person and such a stupid theories which also effect other persons.
(*removed spam link*)

It would depend on your definition of "success". In this instance, it seems like a successful life would be a life of fame, popularity, money and power...but there are ways to have a sucessful life without those things, just as there are ways to have successul relationships that dont end in marriage. Does the man that has a loving family, 3 story home and a picket fence have a successful life? What about the old man in a the retirement home who gets to to live in the company of friends with the constant visitation of his family for the rest of his life? The woman who gets to dedicate her life doing what she loves? Success is something that looks like it can only be determined by the self, not by an outside audience. Where we might see a life of great success, that person may see shortcomings. Vice versa, we might see wasted potential in a life where a person is completely satisfied in what they have.

hg2t4e said:
Hi,

One of my friends had this as his status of Facebook - "My first priority is to live a life, not a SUCCESSFUL life!"

He is that kind of a person that you can guarantee never to give results, if the least, you expect, let alone the want. Characterized by low grades and no serious commitments that can ensure a financial stability, I reckon that he is in denial of a hard working life. What I gather is he believes in dreaming about dreams coming true (if you get what I mean!). A hundred excuses would come up instantly to avoid doing that requires hard work but draws motivation from celebrities who were runaways and now have great careers, again I am assuming that he sees only the 1% talented people who have succeed like that, and fails to notice the lingering black cloud over the remaining 99%.

I am going to add that the title of this thread along with this writing reflect my inner principles but I'd like to know what you all think of the person who has such a status.
I've searched Google only to find articles on how to be successful, and one day I just stop to realize, wow, everyone is after success. No one really wants a unsuccessful life! ( I am assuming that a life without success is an unsuccessful life).

Your views please.

Thanks

HG

We have to contribute to society to make it work, social leeches who just take and give nothing are a cancer.

But, i've had to redefine my conception of success recently. The chase to me, seems to destroy our spirits and leave us in a blood-thirsty competition with similar go-getters for our own little piece of the pie. When we do start achieving some real level of achievement, tall poppy syndrome leaves us an open target for all kinds of abuse directed our way. We are faced with increasingly insurmountable responsibilities, as the world is going to expect 150% from you, at all times. Some masochists might be able to deal with this, but face it, at the end of the day the pressure will get almost everybody.

The stresses up the top seem ridiculous. I don't know if I want to excel at what I do on a level like I once did, but I do know that I have to give a little back to this society for it to function so I can have my own little bit of piece of mind at the end of the day. I want to work in a field that stimulates me more than it drags me down.

Damm I hate this last 20 yrs! Forums,, computors? I never can find the links right off LIKE "NEWCOMERS POST something about yourself" WHERE IS THE LINK??
Anyway, inreply to what I just stumbled upon by total accident,,SUCCESS,
I have lived on both sides of the spectrum, back and fourth like a ping pong ball. I hd a simi successful Contract Plumbing Buisness for 17 yrs and a SEMI successfull Marriage w/ children for 9 yrs. Success is not all that great and neither is lack of motivation to become successful. I believe "success" is determined by the Joy, Love, and happiness and well being it COULD derive. Lonely wealthy people have attaind great things, but who wants to be alone with it? Sometimes, "my experience has taught me" Like nectur attracting bee's, only there to collect,,success defined by wealth, has the same affect. So you need to determine what you define as SUCCESS, take in to account the cost's and decide if that is something you can live with or without. That is success. Even a SUCCESSFUL LIFE, has a definate ending. Life with out Joy is not a successful life, Life spent judgeing others according to ones idea of success is not life either, it's a waste. It also shows you have to much time to waste and are not content with trying to figure out your own path to happiness. Just my thoughts, not trying to ruffle any wings here. I lost my simi successful buisness thru an auto accident on an Interstate,and the SUCCESS motivated bottom line intrest's of an Insurance corp GIANT. I lost my wife for other reasons and the children too. All of which are in the past and older now. Seems like yesterday though. In my twentys when I was an early apprentice Plumber, I suddenly found my self with a few saved dollars, gave away all my crap and hit the road with my thumb. Money gone within weeks, I found blood banks and salvation Army shelters to have some of the most real people I had ever meet, Sometimes spending the few bucks on a quart or two and just Having fun hanging out in a starnge town,,THAT WAS REAL SUCCESS to me. On the other side I have made GOOD money and when things like the wreck happened,,the loss of my semi SUCCESS wasn't the biggest hurt,,,it was ALL THOSE people like bees taht I couldn't seem to find anymore when I NEEDED them, WHERE DID THEY GO,,? to another CHUMP

I certainly don't want an unsuccessful life. But I'm not sure how to avoid it, because a successful life means you have to be good at something, and I'm not sure what that can be for me.

It's hard to be committed, or work hard at something, or even be interested in learning and doing something at all, when you don't feel like you are good at it, and therefore don't have any room to move forward at it, any capacity to improve. I always thought that you could only meaningfully and significantly improve at something that you were naturally above average at in the first place, just by being as you are by default, as a result of your natural traits and mind, before you have any formal or informal instruction - something that was easy for you in the first place. I thought that that's how you knew you could get better - that you could get better at something as long as it was still easy for you. Once it got harder, I figured that's when you know you're probably hitting your genetic limit. The few people that push past that limit, become the professional athletes, rock stars, movie stars, company founders, etc.

I read an article about Derek Jeter last week - it was about a lot of different aspects of his career, but one thing that caught my eye was that he said that he had some difficulty in the beginning of his career, and that it was his first time playing baseball that he struggled. But the thing is, this time that he was struggling, was already well beyond the highest level that most people could ever play baseball at all. That's similar to how I thought about skills all my life - that to get anywhere at anything, it has to be easy for you to start with, and that you can only improve as long as it stays easy. That's why I never really thought successful people worked hard, at least not for a long time - instead, I thought they were people who were born with natural genetic strengths that allowed something to be easy for them, and to stay easy for them long after it got too hard for most people. I thought they only started having to work hard, once they got to a level where any person, even genetically gifted people, would have to work hard at it.

It got me thinking about skills in general. What if the first time you struggle at something, is right away? What if it's like that, for everything you do? It's pretty hard to feel like you can become successful at anything, or even get interested in anything at all, when right away it feels like you can't really do it. It's hard to believe in hard work, when everything feels like a dead end. That's why I never believed in "tough love", I thought it was bullsh*t, thought it was a lie. I thought that for most people, hard work doesn't work, because it's all about genetics. It's also why the stars never inspired me, because if it's hereditary, then it's just another form of aristocracy. It's only interesting and inspiring if you could do it too. Otherwise, it's just genetically gifted people doing things you need to be genetically gifted to do, much like royals doing things you need to be born into royalty to do. There's nothing really interesting or inspiring about hereditary predetermination.

I also want to say that, for the most part, I don't really care for the "tough love" crowd.
It seems like they're usually one of a few kinds of people:

- the kind of person who just so happened to find what they are good at early, who finds something easy that most people find hard, and therefore enjoys it because it's a positive feedback loop for them and makes them feel strong and competent and therefore they seek it out again, and when they practice they get better instead of stuck, so they seek that out again too and wonder what else they can do with it, and is so egotistical that they refuse to even consider anyone else's experiences outside of their own - especially in regards to muscle and STEM - people that are muscular and/or good at STEM, generally have an easy time in life because they just so happen to have the things the world values the most, and don't understand or relate to the perspectives and experiences of people who aren't naturally muscular or good at STEM,

- the kind of person who isn't actually successful or good at anything, but likes to take on a "tough love" attitude because berating others makes them feel superior to someone, and better about themselves.

I think most "tough love" people are in this second category, especially here on this forum (talking about old, inactive members like on this thread). Most of them go on and on about how others are "whining" and things like that, but offer little to no proof of their own supposed success. Think about it - successful people are busy people, who are interested in their own lives. What successful person has the time, or would want to make the time, to go on and on putting others down on this forum for not working hard enough, or complaining too much, etc.? Actual successful people are busy, they don't have time for this, and they don't care. They don't need to put others down to feel good, they feel good because they have good lives. It just makes me think that the people going on and on about "tough love" here, are really just putting others down to boost their own ego.

Last edited:
I read an article about Derek Jeter last week
Funny thing about Jeter.
His parents were always at the Yankee games.
They are two of the most un-athletic looking/built people you could ever imagine.
While I agree with you that genetics plays a big role in our lives, he kind of breaks that mold.
Because going by his parents...he should have been an overweight bus driver, or something...

Funny thing about Jeter.
His parents were always at the Yankee games.
They are two of the most un-athletic looking/built people you could ever imagine.
While I agree with you that genetics plays a big role in our lives, he kind of breaks that mold.
Because going by his parents...he should have been an overweight bus driver, or something...

According to his Wikipedia article though, his mother was an accountant, and his father was a doctor who also played baseball in college - actually he sounds like a superhuman. So his parents were a smart person, and a smart AND strong/coordinated person. They probably just got out of shape.

Latest posts

Back