A life without the want for success

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to his Wikipedia article though, his mother was an accountant, and his father was a doctor who also played baseball in college - actually he sounds like a superhuman. So his parents were a smart person, and a smart AND strong/coordinated person. They probably just got out of shape.
Yeah they must have.
Because back in the late 90s they looked like two fat people at a baseball game...

On a separate note, I also wanted to say I find most of these "tough love" people to be cold, mean-spirited, and thoroughly unpleasant. Not at all anyone I'd want to hang out with, regardless of whatever success they might have. They sound like they picked careers solely for the money, and to notch up their tough guy belt, and to stroke their ego that they are a "good decision maker", all the while they hate their lives, everyone else, and everything. These overly pragmatic people always sound like they hate everything. This is the kind of person that thinks everything's stupid, everything is bullsh*t, life's a b*tch then you die. They can't be that good of decision makers, if that's the end result.

I never understood this kind of person. It's like, their overly pragmatic view of life makes them cynical to the point that it seems like they don't like anything or anyone, or don't even like living at all. But then they turn around and defend the system that makes it this way, that makes them have to live lives they seem to hate. And then they try to assert dominance over you by shaming you, for not wanting to do what they seem like they hate, themselves.

In all of their tough-guy talk, they seem to have forgotten that not having any compassion, doesn't make a person respectable or cool. Some of these older posts, it's like...man. These thoughts are just gross. It's good that they're not here anymore. I'd have some choice words for them.

I think there have always been people like this, but there seems to be a trend that's been increasing in the modern era, that being heartless is a good thing. It's becoming more mainstream to think like this, and to take it to extremes. And I strongly disagree. It's not a badge of honor, it just means you're a jerk. We as a society seem to have forgotten this. It's one of those things that makes my head spin, makes me feel like "what world am I living in????"

And the thing is, I do believe going for success is a good thing - it's just that the path to success is more obvious and easy for some people than it is for others. The focus should be on doing well for yourself though, not sh*tting on other people who haven't found their path yet.

And this whole, "it's good to be cold" thing, needs to go.

Last edited:
That, or it's a way to bully others (and to feel "higher" or "better" than others), while also making oneself look like the good guy, instead of just a bully.

I really feel like most people like this are rotten to the core.
This reminds of managers who interview people in a way that they just show off what they know and try to intimidate the candidate, rather than find out if he is someone who can learn and be a good fit for the team.

This reminds of managers who interview people in a way that they just show off what they know and try to intimidate the candidate, rather than find out if he is someone who can learn and be a good fit for the team.

Yikes, that doesn't sound like a welcoming environment. I hope that when I do get onboard somewhere, I find a better company culture. After all we should want to get along with the people we work with.

Yikes, that doesn't sound like a welcoming environment. I hope that when I do get onboard somewhere, I find a better company culture. After all we should want to get along with the people we work with.
It's mostly a Tech thing.
Lots of nerdy ego in Tech.
I had guys come in that I interviewed and approved, and then some Super-Techie interviews the poor guy and asks all kinds of obscure and quite frankly useless questions. The worst part is when they DO find someone who can answer them, the guy will often be just as bad with people as the other one and they end up at each others throats. So crazy.

It's mostly a Tech thing.
Lots of nerdy ego in Tech.
I had guys come in that I interviewed and approved, and then some Super-Techie interviews the poor guy and asks all kinds of obscure and quite frankly useless questions. The worst part is when they DO find someone who can answer them, the guy will often be just as bad with people as the other one and they end up at each others throats. So crazy.

Yeah I can imagine - like any specialized group.

The useless questions too, it's like...if it's not going to affect their ability to do their assigned duties then...I don't see the point.

And I can see how the egotists end up dueling eventually. Like the Sith, there can be only one master 😄

In offline life, I only know one super-tech person. But, they're actually very nice.

Latest posts

Back