Advice for guys by other guys

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EveWasFramed

Reaction score
I read this tonight and thought it might be interesting to post. This is advice from guys to other guys.

*Note: No bashing genders is allowed in this thread. NONE.

1. Don’t settle, but don’t commit halfheartedly, either. “My one piece of advice is this: Don’t settle, but don’t commit half-heartedly, either,” says Los Angeles native Larry, 45. “If you’re in, be all in. It’s easy to look around and think there’s something better to the point that it stops you from making a real commitment. But that’s immature; real men grow out of that.”

2. Don’t take love for granted when you find it. “Realize what you have when you have it,” says New Yorker Ethan, 32. “That’s really the key. So many guys just play with love and at love, not realizing sometimes when they have it in the palms of their hands and letting it slip away. They are either careless or disloyal. You have to hold on tight to a good thing — not too tight, but tight enough to keep it in your grasp.”

3. Life’s too short to fight constantly with your partner. “Limit the fighting,” Says Marylander Walter, 66. “My first marriage ended because we fought all the time, over mostly little things. Over some big things, too, but I’ve learned that life’s too short. I was a guy who was told to always win a fight. But the truth is that men also know how to be good losers with a mate. Being right doesn’t always get you what you want. You can win the fight, but lose the war.”

4. It’s up to you to make dating more exciting. “Keep it exciting,” says San Franciscan Matt, 18. “It’s up to you to not get bored. Don’t be a bore, either; plan stuff, keep your dates surprising, and have an occasional ‘wow’ factor — something over-the-top special.”

5. You don’t have to understand a woman in order to love her. “Loving her doesn’t mean you have to understand her,” says North Carolinian Al, 51. “Whoever told us we needed to understand our partner? I’ve learned that you can talk a problem to death and never solve it. Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing. Sometimes, [just] listening is enough. Acknowledging that you heard [what she said] doesn’t mean having to say you understand.”

6. Know what you want. “Know what you want,” says Washingtonian Mike, 39. “It takes a while to figure out what you want, but that’s what you have to do on your own. Figure it out! Only you know what will make you happy. You learn what your basic type is, who can make you happy — and also, you learn who you can make happy. That’s important, too.”

7. In relationships, having a space that works really matters. “Create a space that works for you and your wife or girlfriend,” says Florida resident Andrew, 35. “My dad told me the secret to his marriage of 40 years was [having] separate bathrooms. And now, after being married for five years, I agree with him. You have to create space where you both are really comfortable. Shared space is good, but you need your separate space, too. You want to know where size really does matter in a relationship? When it comes to where you live!”

8. Make sure you really know a woman before making a commitment. “Before you commit, make sure you really know her,” says New Yorker Frank, 44. “Make sure you see her during all moods, times of year, occasions, and with different people, your friends and family and hers. Because you never really know each other until that happens. Go slow, despite your wanting to have it all right away. It takes time to see each other in every light.”

9. Just be yourself. “Be yourself,” says Washingtonian Adam, 32. “It’s simple, but it’s true. Guys spend too much time trying to act the part and being comfortable when their dates act the part, too. It’s important to just be honest. If you want to date casually, say it upfront. Don’t hedge on important stuff like that. Let her know who you really are so she can make an informed decision for herself. Believe me — it’ll work out best for you in the long run if you do.”

10. Know when to walk away if things get bad. “When it’s bad, know when to walk away,” says 37-year-old Ken from Los Angeles, CA. “If it’s not right for you, don’t pretend that it’s OK. If your gut says something is off, pay attention to it. If you need to address something, address it. And if you give it your best shot and it’s not working, don’t beat your head against the wall. Don’t stay with a partner out of guilt or because you’re trying to be a nice guy. In the end, it never, ever works. You do no favors for the other person — or yourself.”

1. Don’t settle. Unfortunately I've realized at my age I'm going to have to just settle for something I won't like to have what I want.

2. Don’t take love for granted when you find it. I'd never take that for granted. Unfortunately it also takes finding someone else who won't take it for granted too.

3. Life’s too short to fight constantly with your partner. I have never figured out why people date people they always argue with. But then I have been told my multiple people that to get a relationship, i have to find someone I will always argue with.

4. It’s up to you to make dating more exciting. I don't even know how to date much less how to make it exciting.

5. You don’t have to understand a woman in order to love her. How can i begin to understand someone that doesn't exist.

6. Know what you want. I've known what I wanted since my 20's. It doesn't exist.

7. In relationships, having a space that works really matters. I don't understand that one but then I never had anyone but myself at my house.

8. Make sure you really know a woman before making a commitment. No duh Sherlock.

9. Just be yourself. Who else would I be?

10. Know when to walk away if things get bad. I don't have to worry about this one.

okay i think i've come up with something to say;

I think it's important to know when to walk away. There's no sense in wasting your love and energy on something that won't work out.

blackdot said:
6. Know what you want. I've known what I wanted since my 20's. It doesn't exist.

[

What do you want?

blackdot said:
7. In relationships, having a space that works really matters. I don't understand that one but then I never had anyone but myself at my house.

I guess it just means you need a place where you can call your own like a man cave since the women have the kitchen(i joke). :D

I know what i want so i aint walkimg away.
I walked away before and its made a big
Ass mess for everyone.
Im shorter than her so i can't fight
her forever...
I dont even understand half of the
Shiy she puts me through but i do
Love her.
Ive put plenty of space between us...
i dont fresia around.

11, take any advice like a grain of salt.

blackdot said:
1. Don’t settle. Unfortunately I've realized at my age I'm going to have to just settle for something I won't like to have what I want.

2. Don’t take love for granted when you find it. I'd never take that for granted. Unfortunately it also takes finding someone else who won't take it for granted too.

3. Life’s too short to fight constantly with your partner. I have never figured out why people date people they always argue with. But then I have been told my multiple people that to get a relationship, i have to find someone I will always argue with.

4. It’s up to you to make dating more exciting. I don't even know how to date much less how to make it exciting.

5. You don’t have to understand a woman in order to love her. How can i begin to understand someone that doesn't exist.

8. Make sure you really know a woman before making a commitment. No duh Sherlock.

9. Just be yourself. Who else would I be?

10. Know when to walk away if things get bad. I don't have to worry about this one.

You're in your mid-late 30's(or possibly early 40's), right? I'm beginning to suspect that I'm going to become you when I reach that age. Infact, I've been mentally preparing myself for this for a while now.

Code S.O.L said:
You're in your mid-late 30's(or possibly early 40's), right? I'm beginning to suspect that I'm going to become you when I reach that age. Infact, I've been mentally preparing myself for this for a while now.

yeah. I'm 38.
If you do become who I am now, well... my condolences.
I always figured as a kid that I would be where I am now. I just always tried to stay positive that things would work out. They never did.
Unfortunately I wish I had known back then so I could have just killed myself back then.

EveWasFramed said:
1. Don’t settle, but don’t commit halfheartedly, either. “My one piece of advice is this: Don’t settle, but don’t commit half-heartedly, either,” says Los Angeles native Larry, 45. “If you’re in, be all in. It’s easy to look around and think there’s something better to the point that it stops you from making a real commitment. But that’s immature; real men grow out of that.”

Guess I'm not a real man then :( This is really hard to do when you've had your heart stomped on a few times.

6. Know what you want. “Know what you want,” says Washingtonian Mike, 39. “It takes a while to figure out what you want, but that’s what you have to do on your own. Figure it out! Only you know what will make you happy. You learn what your basic type is, who can make you happy — and also, you learn who you can make happy. That’s important, too.”

7. In relationships, having a space that works really matters. “Create a space that works for you and your wife or girlfriend,” says Florida resident Andrew, 35. “My dad told me the secret to his marriage of 40 years was [having] separate bathrooms. And now, after being married for five years, I agree with him. You have to create space where you both are really comfortable. Shared space is good, but you need your separate space, too. You want to know where size really does matter in a relationship? When it comes to where you live!”

This caused problems for me before, I knew what I wanted, she didn't. She wouldn't give me space and there were many times I needed it.

8. Make sure you really know a woman before making a commitment. “Before you commit, make sure you really know her,” says New Yorker Frank, 44. “Make sure you see her during all moods, times of year, occasions, and with different people, your friends and family and hers. Because you never really know each other until that happens. Go slow, despite your wanting to have it all right away. It takes time to see each other in every light.”

This agree with 100%

9. Just be yourself. “Be yourself,” says Washingtonian Adam, 32. “It’s simple, but it’s true. Guys spend too much time trying to act the part and being comfortable when their dates act the part, too. It’s important to just be honest. If you want to date casually, say it upfront. Don’t hedge on important stuff like that. Let her know who you really are so she can make an informed decision for herself. Believe me — it’ll work out best for you in the long run if you do.”

As long as you have someone who doesn't want to "change" you. Whenever I hear that it's a deal breaker.

10. Know when to walk away if things get bad. “When it’s bad, know when to walk away,” says 37-year-old Ken from Los Angeles, CA. “If it’s not right for you, don’t pretend that it’s OK. If your gut says something is off, pay attention to it. If you need to address something, address it. And if you give it your best shot and it’s not working, don’t beat your head against the wall. Don’t stay with a partner out of guilt or because you’re trying to be a nice guy. In the end, it never, ever works. You do no favors for the other person — or yourself.”

I'm not so sure about this one, I've tried that before and it only made things worse.

Some of these points these guys have made also depend a lot on the type of personality your partner has. You have to take that in consideration when dealing with each situation.

blackdot said:
yeah. I'm 38.
If you do become who I am now, well... my condolences.
I always figured as a kid that I would be where I am now. I just always tried to stay positive that things would work out. They never did.
Unfortunately I wish I had known back then so I could have just killed myself back then.

It's not so much a case of if, as I've made a conscious decision to avoid relationships altogether. After having observed the ugly side of countless relationships, I've come to the conclusion that I won't be able to handle the direct conflicts that will inevitably occur in a partnership. And so I've chosen the path of least resistance-the path of solitude. Yeah, the loneliness is gonna sting from time to time, but that's OK. Because personal loneliness is much easier to deal with than drama with another person.

I haven't settled.

This is my problem, unfortunately. If I settled, I probably would be in a relationship by now.

Latest posts

Back