Being a "kept" woman

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that my girl handles most of the household tasks, and it does let me focus on my career to take care of her. Its a good arrangement, all things considered.

To be honest, I find it perfectly aceptable that some people live in a 50's-style home, the problem was that this world-view and lifestyle was forced on everyone, men and women alike. If it works for you, do it, there's nothing wrong with it.

To be fair though, I've grown up in a rather traditionally organized household.

DoesItGetBetter? said:
To be honest, I find it perfectly aceptable that some people live in a 50's-style home, the problem was that this world-view and lifestyle was forced on everyone, men and women alike. If it works for you, do it, there's nothing wrong with it.

To be fair though, I've grown up in a rather traditionally organized household.

Especially if you get air conditioning for your girl. That is important.

I would want my girlfriend/wife to handle the major finances of the household. I have a career and I'd make my own money, out of which I'd contribute a certain amount for bills and everything... but SHE is gonna be the one to do the math and pay the bills out of whatever money she makes and what money I put into the household account.

I ******* hate math. lol

I wouldn't want someone else handling my money like that. It doesn't feel right.

I don't think having a single breadwinner even works these days anymore. Most people don't make enough money to cover the living expenses of two people (and possibly a family) at least I don't think it would be possible based on what I make. :)

This viewing of being a "kept woman", 1950s-style, through soft-focus lenses is bull. If our entire society and culture believed that is the way to go now, like we did in the 1950s and before, you wouldn't have as many women talking so dreamily about it. My mom, who was educated with a master's degree agreed to stay home with us kids after my parents got married. My dad wouldn't have it any other way and didn't lift a finger to help around the house with "women's work". They got divorced after 15 years. If you check your history, it was mostly women who got the short end of the stick in these arrangements and if it was so awesome, there wouldn't have been a womens' movement to try and turn this around in the 60s and 70s.
Sure, the thought of being "taken care of" is nice for a minute. But I need more than bling and a nice house. I need intellectual stimulation, a diverse group of friends, a partner that is on my level and a purpose in life besides scrubbing the bathroom and sweeping the front porch.

-Teresa

Limlim said:
I wouldn't want someone else handling my money like that. It doesn't feel right.

The thing is, in this kind of arrangement it is not YOUR money. It is both of yours. Just because she doesn't earn a paycheck doesn't mean she isn't doing half the work in your lives. (Assuming she is actually working hard at home and is raising the kids, running the household and has no fulltime nannies and no maids cleaning up after you guys :rolleyes: )

In which case I'd give her half the money and tell her to do what she wanted with it, and telling her to keep her hands off my half. lol.

I'd be hesitant to get into the situation of being "kept" as a mistress because there are no legal protections should the relationship end. I am married and my husband has supported me since I was a teen and we were unmarried. I help with chores. For example, today while he worked I went out and did our shopping. I also do our investing (and I'm good at it), although I sold all of our stock recently. We don't have kids. He doesn't care much about money and doesn't want much for himself, so he doesn't mind if I buy things. We discussed the issue, it was freedom vs. extra income and we chose freedom.

I've worked a very good job for ten years. I purchased a house when I was 21, and always supported myself. I even put my ex husband through school (so he could divorce me after, but that's another story). My fiancé now, he's 14 years older, and makes very good money. He's asked me to leave my job so I can do some painting, yard sales and packing and move to another state in the next month. He tells me all the time to never worry about money but it's so hard to depend on someone for this. I sometimes feel ashamed I am not making my own money. I know my bills make only a little dent in his income, and I tell myself it's benefitting him, as well, but I'm so accustom to working, I feel like a total bum.

It would be easier, I think, if he were here every day, but he's gone six weeks at a time, and when you are home alone all day and night, and don't see another face or hear another voice, it's a little depressing. I guess I would feel differently if I had children or something.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.I worked up to 14 hour shifts and brought two kids up on my own.I'd have given the earth to have been a kept man!

My name is Bob. said:
It's good to know that even in 2011, there are still some women who know their role in society. :)

So glad that you agree with the concept of modern men and women. Where have you been, we need more like you on the forum! :)

Teresa

Latest posts

Back