Body positivity

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it does depend on context. It's just mostly said by complete idiots at the wrong times.

I just wanted to say something that made sense to me, as far as body-wise. Saw a picture that said something along the lines of, "I work out not because I hate my body, but because I love it." Picture had a fit female with sculpted abs and whatnot, and while I'd never want to look like that, I honestly wouldn't mind losing weight. Not because I hate myself, and not because I care about what other people think, but because I want to be healthy. It baffles me how weak I really am. I'm 24 years old, and I struggle - absolutely struggle with a 50 pound bag of dog food. I have to literally inch it every step of the way to the dog food bin. I'm not disabled or handicapped in any way, so at my age, I should be able to lift 50 pounds for goodness' sake! So not only do I want to lose some weight, but most importantly, I want to gain muscle and strength.

Everyone has a different idea of what's attractive.

I knew a girl who once said she would date a fat man before she would date a really skinny man. Some girls feel the exact opposite.

I don't like my body. It wasn't easy to lose 25 kg and then gain 7 kg back in the year... I should be more fit and toned and maybe longer legs too.. Sigh. I could say so many flaws about my body but it doesn't help anything. :( Just have to accept myself, I can't be anyone else. More jogging and exercises.

Start meditating.. honestly i used to have such a bad image about my body... i started meditating and i felt blessed inside and out.. this led to me wanting to eat healthy, exercise both mind and body and also a boosted self esteem

Want to transform your life and have the best year yet? Want to break bad habits and de clutter your life? Then you need to check out this FREE ebook
at www.dreamforchange.com[/size]

I like my body. I'm tall, thin, but not really skinny. I don't really work out but somehow I don't really need to (I never gain weight, I'm 1,90 meters (6'3") and about 80 kilo's (177 lbs)).

I think most people have a nice body as long as you're not really fat or have weird proportions. People shouldn't worry too much about their bodies, especially girls. I hate to see very skinny girls or girls who complain about having small breasts etc. Honestly, I don't even like women with big breasts, and most guys I know don't. I can't deny I prefer thin girls, but too thin just looks horrible. As long as you have (even the slightest) hourglass figure you're not fat or chubby.

E: oh, and rdor is right IMO. A nice face is way more important than a nice body, the only problem is you can change your body, not your face. But anyway, when I meet a girl for the first time, the face is the most important, after that the personality, after that the body. This doesn't mean that without a nice face I am unable to like someone. Actually, when I first met the girl I like right now, I thought she looked horrible, but after a year I got to know her better, and now I like her. Personality is always the most important eventually.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Everyone has a different idea of what's attractive.

I knew a girl who once said she would date a fat man before she would date a really skinny man.

I know I would. Love me a guy with something to hold onto. Although, if I knew them, it wouldn't matter to me either way. I had a friend that I liked back in high school, and he was a string bean. Though he became really muscular later on, and not so much a string bean. Still, he was skinny.

I have gained weight since going through menopause. I'm on hormone therapy which should help, but also anti- depressants which don't help where weight gain is concerned.

My best friend has managed to stay slim. She's obsessed with looking young. She constantly asks me if I've considered having a breast reduction. I'm forty pounds overweight. If I had my breasts reduced I'd be a fat lady with tiny boobs. If I do manage to lose the weight, I'd be flat as a teenager. I'm really tired of her comments. They don't help my self-esteem. We go to the gym together twice a week. My problem is, I don't diet as I did before the menopause. Also, I used to run regularly, but I had bunion surgery on both feet, and I stopped. Then I gained all the weight back that I had lost. Now I'm just dreading dieting and running again. I'm fifteen years older now. My metabolism has changed drastically.

I been told I have a nice body and facial features but I lack the ability to go up to someone and ask them out. I am alright at making friends but other than that I just feel really awkward.

I think that mentality is a huge factor...growing up I always felt like the ugly duckling because my older sister was tall and pretty like a model while I was half a foot shorter and chubby. Even now in my twenties, after years of working on my self-confidence and body image, I am still constantly thinking 'if only I could lose 10 more pounds and get some abs or something'. And I admit that while I love my sister a lot, being around her is not very healthy for my self-image :/

Mike, if you are confident in your appearance, you're one of the lucky ones. Possibly, it's just self-confidence in general you need? How much do you watch news and pay attention to simple things like weather? Live outside yourself. Keep up with current events and be open to people.

Zinnia said:
Mike, if you are confident in your appearance, you're one of the lucky ones. Possibly, it's just self-confidence in general you need? How much do you watch news and pay attention to simple things like weather? Live outside yourself. Keep up with current events and be open to people.

Yeah but I have had some bad experiences when I was young as a consquence of asking a girl I liked out. Everytime I feel I am in a position to ask someone out I kind of go back to that time and just shut myself down. I pay attention to the news quite a bit actually and I have to pay attention to the weather since I have to walk for miles each and everyday. I can keep up but I just feel like the kid in the corner no one wants to know.

This is a great thread.

Most of the pressure to look perfect or fit some ideal comes from the media, and that's just to sell products.

I think most people in real life aren't that shallow, and if they are, that's their own personal problem.

People with Down Syndrome are sometimes considered bad looking because they have unusual features, but I find them to be beautiful.

John Waters is one of the strangest looking people I've ever seen, but if I could have his confidence and charm I'd trade my looks with his any day.

If it wasn't for my son I feel like I would just want to go live on a commune somewhere or go as far away from society as possible, just to avoid all the exposure to advertising and the media.

Latest posts

Back