Can A Virus Or Malware Corrupt The "Defrag" Process?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
I know that this sounds like a dumb question, but it wouldn't be my first, so here it goes. Can a virus cause corrupt the "Defrag" process? I use "Piriform Defraggler". I'm not sure how, but it was having the opposite effect or something. Just thought that I'd bring it up, because I'm not sure if it's my chosen program or not.
I use "Vista" & "Chrome".

Thank you for viewing.:)

I don't know a lot about this, but here's an attempt to be helpful. I see in the "possibly related threads..." below, that you were using a different defragger two months ago. So I'm assuming Defraggler is a new download? If so, where did you get it from? I saw on a couple forums there was a version that triggered a trojan every time it was run.
---
edit - wups sorry I guess I read that wrong, you used two programs defraggler and diskeeper.

Do you have an antivirus? If you do run a scan. Most AV's will also let you scan specific program files. Right click and select the option.

I like this site for computer problems. www.bleepingcomputer.com

kaetic said:
I don't know a lot about this, but here's an attempt to be helpful. I see in the "possibly related threads..." below, that you were using a different defragger two months ago. So I'm assuming Defraggler is a new download? If so, where did you get it from? I saw on a couple forums there was a version that triggered a trojan every time it was run.
---
edit - wups sorry I guess I read that wrong, you used two programs defraggler and diskeeper.

Do you have an antivirus? If you do run a scan. Most AV's will also let you scan specific program files. Right click and select the option.

I like this site for computer problems. www.bleepingcomputer.com
Hi kaetic.:)
I just "Googled" "Defraggler", and it sent me to the official site. I did run a thorough scan and nabbed like 4-5 Trojans. They were removed successfully. I'm going to attempt another defrag. I am just not sure which program to use.

Thank you for the link. I'll bookmark it.
Thank you and everyone who takes the time to help me out. Much appreciated.:)

Honestly you don't want anything running *at all* if you're doing a defrag. reboot your computer into safe mode before doing it. Your AV program and many other processes that are normally on will be disabled.

Limlim said:
Honestly you don't want anything running *at all* if you're doing a defrag. reboot your computer into safe mode before doing it. Your AV program and many other processes that are normally on will be disabled.
Will do.:)

Latest posts

Back