Confidence

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimizu

Reaction score
I don't like confidence. I don't like people who act confident.
I don't like how they speak, with a loud rough voice. I don't like how they act, brutal and insensitive, and in-your-face. I don't like thick-skinned people.

There is too much confidence. Most people are overconfident, to the point of narcissism.

I think it's true for most lonely people that... the reason they are lonely... is because they're inconfident. Society rejected them. And they're too scared to try, too scared to be rejected.

I think your confusing confidence with arrogance or egotism. A confident person is someone who believes in themselves. A confident person does better career wise and relationships because once you believe in yourself it gives you the drive to carry out important decisions and achieve goals. Some of the nicest people I have met were confident ant it wasnt because they were ******** to other people but because they were shure of themselves. The world is not divided into confident in your face mean people and lonely nice people. In many cases the in your face brutal people are the ones that are least confident and try to hide the fact by appearing ' strong' or in other world complete *******. A confident person knows who they are and usualy will not resort in trying to make others feel inferior in order to make themselves feel better. It is true that many some are lonely b/c they are inconfident and if you ask the person do they like being lonely the answer will probably be no which I think makes confidence a good thing as long as it not oversteps the boundary of being confident to being just plain conceited.

Maybe there's such a thing as healthy confidence, but in my country there's too much confidence... it overflows and isn't healthy anymore... transforming into arrogance.. "i'm better than everyone else". People are really nasty here. I'm scared to go outside... :(

I wanted to go to the park tonight to listen to some music, but I couldn't because there were some guys there, yelling loudly and laughing in a very menacing manner..

Hey Mimizu. What country are you in? You may have said already, but I haven't caught it yet.

I was thinking about what you said...arrogance and egotism are separate, of course, but I can hate confidence with you for confidence alone. Here's *my* reasoning for it. I see a lot of people who are so confident, so sure of themselves, when actually they have no reason to be confident and are often incorrect. They are confident in the face of their being dead wrong all the time. They are confident despite knowing that they have been wrong more often than not.

It drives me nuts. These people need to relax, and learn to admit, "I don't know for sure." An "I don't know" is FAR more accurate when there's enough uncertainty. People who are confident in the face of uncertainty are just making themselves wrong more often, and setting themselves up to predict the wrong thing.

There are shades of gray in there, though...confidence can be justified sometimes. I'm quite confident that dropping an apple will make it fall to the ground :p

I see what you are saying. Confidence is a good trait in my opinion it's the person themselves that turns that confidence into an attitude thats 'I'm better than you' or ' I'm always right because I'm all that and I'm shure I'm never wrong'

Definition of Confidence:
con·fi·dence    
1. full trust; belief in the powers, trustworthiness, or reliability of a person or thing
2. belief in oneself and one's powers or abilities; self-confidence; self-reliance; assurance
3. certitude; assurance
4. a confidential communication: to exchange confidences.  
5. (esp. in European politics) the wish to retain an incumbent government in office, as shown by a vote in a particular issue: a vote of confidence.  
6. presumption; impudence

Confidence is simply a belief in yourself but its the person's bad personality and attitude that makes it seem like it's a bad trait. Even if someone is confident and they make a mistake what makes them addmit it is their personality and the belief that yeah I'm human and I make mistakes. By admiting that it doesnt make a person not confident. They can be shure and believe themselves but when faced with mistake they own up to it. It's not confidence that makes a person think that they are never wrong and everything they say is true b/c they are shure of themselves. That is simply a bad attitude mixed in with confidence that makes it unhealthy confidence. People make mistakes the confident ones and not so confident ones. A good person will admit they are wrong once he or she realises it. What turns confidence from good to bad is a person's attitude.

Empathy said:
Hey Mimizu. What country are you in? You may have said already, but I haven't caught it yet.

I was thinking about what you said...arrogance and egotism are separate, of course, but I can hate confidence with you for confidence alone. Here's *my* reasoning for it. I see a lot of people who are so confident, so sure of themselves, when actually they have no reason to be confident and are often incorrect. They are confident in the face of their being dead wrong all the time. They are confident despite knowing that they have been wrong more often than not.

It drives me nuts. These people need to relax, and learn to admit, "I don't know for sure." An "I don't know" is FAR more accurate when there's enough uncertainty. People who are confident in the face of uncertainty are just making themselves wrong more often, and setting themselves up to predict the wrong thing.

There are shades of gray in there, though...confidence can be justified sometimes. I'm quite confident that dropping an apple will make it fall to the ground :p

I totally agree. My friends laugh at me when i tell them i don't know how to swim and cycle. They sneer at me. When i ask them to teach me, they just say i am useless and should just stick to being at home. Even when i want to join them in blading...they juz ask me to buzz off. Why is this world like this...Sometimes, even my parents and my brother treat me this way. They beat away my problems, and yet when they seek my help, i was so ready to offer them a listening ear or some advice. The world is truly unfair. I know lamenting is not a very good solution but why, when I always try to make an effort to change myself, there is no one to help me and guide me. Is there any soul out there who can understand us, the slow learners... it just really makes me very sad. Very very sad....I used to think the world was warm and fuzzy... but now no longer anymore. My brother has stopped talking to me. My parents, I know they work hard to provide for me and my family, but they don't talk to me anymore. Some times i wished i can talk to them. It just seems to get worse and worse...=(

Maybe it is more like OVER-confidence. That confidence in which only the person themselves matters at all costs above all others. That over-confidence that makes it so the person never considers the people he/she steps on or can never admit weakness or being wrong.

Confidence in itself should be a good word and a good thing. It is that trait that helps keep us sane and responsible when there seems to be no one else in the world will to cheer us on. But it is that outwardly confident type that tends to have the negative conotation because they frequently seem to want to be right at the expense of others. I would also probably re-term those types of people as arrogant...or I like the thought of unhealthy confidence.

Too much of something isn't good. Too little often isn't either. It's as simple as that.

Latest posts

Back