Dead in about 20 years

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cicerolion

Reaction score
I'm a 20 year old boy. I've fallen out with all of my old friends, and have not made any new one's in college. I've also never dated or been with a girl. These are common problems on here (I've been reading for a while), but my case is a little unique. I've got a genetic condition for which the average life expectancy is early 40's. That means, statistically speaking, I've got only about 20yrs left to live. This genetic condition has left me in a reduced physical state. I am only going to get worse. I am afraid that my life is too far removed from the norm. Kids my age don't relate to me at all. I am dealing with the kinds of thing usually reserved for the elderly. I try, but I find it hard to persevere sometimes, knowing what my future holds.I feel like I'm "out" in a game that everyone else is playing. I fear that I am going to die quietly without ever having had lived.

Hey there, I'm sorry you feel that way and about your condition. *hugs*
Not sure what to say here really, I feel badly for you, but don't give up okay?

There are nonprofit agencies for genetic diseases such as huntington's disease. I know there's nothing I can do to change the situation, as much as I wish things could be changed. Whenever a person has to deal with a lot, having somebody there for them, who is positive and listens, is a great thing to have. Maybe these agencies offer support groups where you can speak with like-minded individuals who do understand? Some disease cause people to deal with everything differently, and some people just don't relate. It isn't that they don't want to be a friend, they're just unfamiliar with the situation. If that makes any sense. Again, I know that isn't much, but I really hope that you find more people to talk to.

Sorry to hear about your condition.

What you say about not relating to kids your age.. You should try to find someone to talk to, that can relate. Getting motivated to 'live' is difficult when you have no one to encourage you or share your plans with.. Look around on the web. Not as good as real world contacts, but way better than nothing.

I wish you the best.

cicerolion said:
I'm a 20 year old boy. I've fallen out with all of my old friends, and have not made any new one's in college. I've also never dated or been with a girl. These are common problems on here (I've been reading for a while), but my case is a little unique. I've got a genetic condition for which the average life expectancy is early 40's. That means, statistically speaking, I've got only about 20yrs left to live. This genetic condition has left me in a reduced physical state. I am only going to get worse. I am afraid that my life is too far removed from the norm. Kids my age don't relate to me at all. I am dealing with the kinds of thing usually reserved for the elderly. I try, but I find it hard to persevere sometimes, knowing what my future holds.I feel like I'm "out" in a game that everyone else is playing. I fear that I am going to die quietly without ever having had lived.

20 year olds.. aka "the fratboy era"

cicerolion said:

****, I thought I had it bad, wanna swap places?

Have you ever thought of using your condition as your mission and just do whatever you've always wanted to do now before it gets worse? You say you have 20 years and you condition will only get worse, so you only have so many good years left on you where you could still do what you want, screw those who make you feel the way you do, who cares about them. Just enjoy the time you have and then you can look back and know that despite it all you did what you could and enjoyed your life. Then it won't matter if you only have 20, 30, 40, 50 years left.

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your condition. Are there any support groups you could join? They would give you the chance to talk about how it feels to be in your situation.
Medical science is advancing all the time-your life might be longer than what is common now for people with your condition.

Really sorry to hear that, man :/. Do you have any hobbies? Maybe you could find a friend that likes the same hobbies as you. One of my hobbies is gaming. Are you a gamer too?

Hi there buddy, dont get yourself down and im sorry to hear about your condition..
enjoy what you have right now, worry about what's happen in the future.. when its happen.
we can be chat/pal friend if you would like to? :)
we can talk about everything literally, :D

All you did was bring another dead thread back to life. It's been over two years since anyone's posted in this thread.

Latest posts

Back