Disabled Facebook Today

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh, I look at it as a way to keep updated with what is going on in peoples lives, and as a news feed for other things like tv shows, games, etc.

Sci-Fi said:
Meh, I look at it as a way to keep updated with what is going on in peoples lives, and as a news feed for other things like tv shows, games, etc.

Yeah. And I always think that with Facebook, you are the one who controls what you get to see on the news feed etc. So I don't see much of a reason why Facebook is such a problem.... *shrugs* just me.

in a sense i meant because i would see old freinds having a good time with the whole group i would hang with...and me excluded...theres many ways to deal with that but i chose just to deactivate it for now anyways

I guess sometimes it can affect you when you browse other people's pages and it dawns on you that your life isn't as "good" as theirs. It happens. Try not to let it affect you too much and look at the better things you've got in life.

I do hope it works out for you 5pt7art. Good luck.

I haven't been on my Facebook in over a yr or so. A lot of fake people/friends pretending they "have it all" and use it as a personal diary confessing all sorts of stuff. Sometimes things/thoughts/behaviors should stay private!! There's too much information being shared that should only be shared with close friends and family, but i guess thats just me. For example- two old friends who are married and have a kid or two have cheating spouses but you'd never know it by their happy family pics and fun trips. One caught her man cheating on FB. Pictures never tell the real story no matter how big their smiles may be. One friend would post her frusteration with her man, then an hour later "he's God's gift to me, blah blah" ... then an hour later hates him again. Maybe i just know a lot of annoying people? haha.

Good job, if it makes you insecure, then deactivating it was the right choice.

I deleted my facebook last year because it made me much more lonely. I used to feel more sad and painful when i see group of friends having a fun. People often post things like "I visited this wonderful place with my best buddies and we had a lot of fun" or just picture of friends with hands on each other's shoulders with a smile... me there sitting alone in front of computer... all alone. It got so much better after deleting facebook. I strongly recommend you to delete your facebook account permanently. However, I'm going to make a new fb account when i get into my dream university. I will post many pictures of me with my true loyal friends and my cold-hearted classmates are gonna regret for treating me poorly.

just delete the people who get on your nerves. That's what I do.
I don't contribute to other people's posts much, it just becomes a pissing contest with other people.
Some people do write interesting stuff from time to time. I post my photo's on there mostly.
It's a good way of finding stuff out about people as well.

Triple Bogey said:
just delete the people who get on your nerves. That's what I do.
I don't contribute to other people's posts much, it just becomes a pissing contest with other people.
Some people do write interesting stuff from time to time. I post my photo's on there mostly.
It's a good way of finding stuff out about people as well.

Yeah. My sentiments exactly.

KJay said:
I haven't been on my Facebook in over a yr or so. A lot of fake people/friends pretending they "have it all" and use it as a personal diary confessing all sorts of stuff. Sometimes things/thoughts/behaviors should stay private!! There's too much information being shared that should only be shared with close friends and family, but i guess thats just me. For example- two old friends who are married and have a kid or two have cheating spouses but you'd never know it by their happy family pics and fun trips. One caught her man cheating on FB. Pictures never tell the real story no matter how big their smiles may be. One friend would post her frusteration with her man, then an hour later "he's God's gift to me, blah blah" ... then an hour later hates him again. Maybe i just know a lot of annoying people? haha.

Good job, if it makes you insecure, then deactivating it was the right choice.

yea i think it was the right choice...i only talked to a handful of people on there really...and since then i havent talked to any of them at all. just to the only two or three i would see in person on a regular basis

I deactivated Facebook over the holidays, and it lasted two weeks. Just long enough to get through Xmas and New Year's. Then, I reconnected, and I have made it a personal goal to reconnect with more people in my life.

To me, it's not the social networks themselves I disliked. It was the constant reminder that "so-and-so" has a beautiful girlfriend when I have no one; that "what'shisface" just took a trip I wished I could take; that "what's hername" has a family that I wished I had. It's all "friend-envy," to be honest, and I couldn't stand it. But now, I can manage my internal reactions a bit better since I'm not seeing Xmas party pics every single freaking day of the week.

Never could be bothered to get the hang of all the settings. Most of the people I know who use it I email (at least that is private!!) or speak to on the phone from time to time. I reckon it might encourage some people to be more passive, and others to brag like the self-absorbed arseholes they would be anyway. I do know someone whose marriage breakdown was documented in full glorious facebook for all to see, with slaggings-off by all and sundry of cheating spouse and other woman... but they all still live in the same area and now its over everyone knows everything about all of it..... they might as well have gone on the Jeremy Kyle show!

sorry about the Jeremy Kyle reference for non-uk members. Its a talk show featuring (mostly) people who are sleeping with all and sundry, or want to find out who the father of one or more kids is, or have lie-detector tests (usually about who they have or haven't cheated with, or did they steal from a family member). There is in fact a USA Kyle show, so those of you over there might be able to 'enjoy it. I have to say I do watch it sometimes, as the appalling crap the people on it have done/get up to makes me feel a bit superior about my own life!!! Too much is depressing however - human nature often at its worst...

jaguarundi said:
sorry about the Jeremy Kyle reference for non-uk members. Its a talk show featuring (mostly) people who are sleeping with all and sundry, or want to find out who the father of one or more kids is, or have lie-detector tests (usually about who they have or haven't cheated with, or did they steal from a family member). There is in fact a USA Kyle show, so those of you over there might be able to 'enjoy it. I have to say I do watch it sometimes, as the appalling crap the people on it have done/get up to makes me feel a bit superior about my own life!!! Too much is depressing however - human nature often at its worst...

I agree it is an awful show full of terrible people.
A lot of people at work watch it. Just shows how different I am to all of them.

I'm actually starting to thinking about it. I've been spending a lot of time there and not actually talking with nobody. It does have its cons one of them being able to know how your friends or family (even some who live abroad) are doing. Also nobody now seems to use the phone anymore and most of the invitations to some events like birthday parties or just get together are made by using the fb. So when disconnecting it's important to know what you're getting at, it's totally legitimate to erase your facebook profile (and I know a few people who never had it in the first place) but I think it can be a way to sabotage our relationship with others. I know it sucks to see everyone so happy and sefl-absorbed but that's not real life and it can be used in a good way just to stay in touch with people we care about. that's my 2 cents.

I still have my FB so I can check my messages, especially from old friends who only rely on fb as a sole communication medium. Other than that, I don't bother looking at my newsfeeds as most of them are just bragging updates and blow by blow life statuses. I also disabled my wall and controlled the tags coming on my wall.

what can i say, 3/4 of my contacts are professional acquaintances (so to speak, because I am still working on having a profession) and every time I look at my newsfeeds I find funny, informative, charming or enlightening stuff. But on the other hand I can't share on my wall how I really feel…

They say the 'Facebook effect' makes other people's lives look better than they really are, I try to keep them in mind when I get a bit depressed looking at pictures of people taking a hike through South America and getting married on hot air balloons. Someone even wrote me that they felt envy towards "me", that is the best proof that this Facebook effect exists.

But yeah, it's just a tool after all, lots of people live without it.

I have two Facebooks. I mostly keep them around for the groups I'm subscribed to, and I guess for some people I still like to keep in touch with.

Well, my friends, I've had it yet again. Facebook is now disabled. I haven't told anyone on my "Friends" list, and I don't really intend to do so. Not sure why I had it. All I do is post stuff and get likes and comments, but I don't use it for any real interaction.

Not sure how long this will last, but at the moment, I am fed up.

Latest posts

Back