Dislike your own appearance in some circumstances?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluey said:
quead64 said:
I still wear baggy clothes. when i was younger i thought i would look better, worked out and everything, but as i grew older i realised i would look like this forever. i had a lot of hope when i was a young man that got me through a number of situations

How come you feel the need to wear baggy clothes?
sorry if you have already said just I have not seen that anywhere.

to cover up my frame. I've changed a bit as i've grown older, but the habit from my teen years still sticks. i just feel safe because it sort of hides me

I have the same issue. I'm gonna go out and say that, when I'm not wearing glasses and my hair looks alright, I look well above average even in the mirror, yet even when I take pictures of myself, I need to take dozens before I find one I even sort of like. And even the ones I do don't really match up with the face I see in the mirror (I have larger lips, smaller eyes, and overall the face shape seems more weird than classically handsome). Funnily enough, with mirrors at the hairdresser's, I actually tend to have the opposite of looking far more masculine than I normally do, but perhaps a little too much even. Oddly enough though, I look fine in video or on the screen of my phone/webcam before I actually take a picture, quite close to the mirror. Don't know what's up with that. I get virtually no attention from women either, so that hurts my self-esteem more.

Alright, I went into too much uninteresting detail with that. I guess... personally, I believe the mirror more (or choose to anyway), since camera lenses can really distort your face. I mean, just try changing the resolution on your webcam, it can really squash your face or make it longer and thinner, so it's not the most trustworthy.

quead64 said:
to cover up my frame. I've changed a bit as i've grown older, but the habit from my teen years still sticks. i just feel safe because it sort of hides me

I also where baggy clothing for the same reason.
But like you the older I get the more I could not care about it.
You are what you are. Just learn to love yourself.

MentatsGhoul said:
Alright, I went into too much uninteresting detail with that. I guess... personally, I believe the mirror more (or choose to anyway), since camera lenses can really distort your face. I mean, just try changing the resolution on your webcam, it can really squash your face or make it longer and thinner, so it's not the most trustworthy.

I gotta say I agree with the camera thing.
I dont think the camera likes me very much ether lol.
and web cam. Jesus ama not even go there.

I'm not debilitated to the point where I can't leave my house but it is very difficult for me. If I had the money I would probably have lot of plastic surgery or simply become a recluse.

I absolutely hate the way I look. Especially in photos. I have about 10 photos out of thousands that I've taken that I'm actually content with. Absolutely none that I'm happy with.

I've always hated my looks, ever since I first started puberty. I feel like a look like an alien.

Zook said:
I absolutely hate the way I look. Especially in photos. I have about 10 photos out of thousands that I've taken that I'm actually content with. Absolutely none that I'm happy with.

I've always hated my looks, ever since I first started puberty. I feel like a look like an alien.

Amazing really. I have seen what you look like in the picks tread.
Gotta say I think there would be a lot of guys that would trade looks with you.

Just dont be to hard on yourself.

All this people in this thread that are talking themselves down.
I bet 9/10 only feel like this cos there single and have low confidence.
I bet most are reasonably good looking.

Zook said:
Especially in photos. I have about 10 photos out of thousands that I've taken that I'm actually content with. Absolutely none that I'm happy with.

I can say the same about myself. The longer I look at pics of myself, the more I hate them.
I have a few friends who are brutally honest with me and tell me what they think of the pics I show them. I trust that they will tell me the flat out truth and I go with it because I know I can't be a reasonable judge of myself.

Zook said:

I saw your passport photos that you posted. I'm at a loss of words as to why you would feel this way.

Next time you feel down on yourself, just look at my photo. Just be thankful that you don't have to look as I do.

Iceman1978 said:
Zook said:

I saw your passport photos that you posted. I'm at a loss of words as to why you would feel this way.

Next time you feel down on yourself, just look at my photo. Just be thankful that you don't have to look as I do.

I don't mean to laugh, but I found this funny. It's like the blind leading the blind or something. You are BOTH good looking guys. :p

TheRealCallie said:
Iceman1978 said:
Zook said:

I don't mean to laugh, but I found this funny. It's like the blind leading the blind or something. You are BOTH good looking guys. :p

Glad someone else said that. I was just about to say something along those lines too.

You both had the bottle to post your pick and both look cool as fresia.
You both must have funny mirrors or something where you live :p

i lost a lot of weight in the last year and now there is the ugly skin left over. Does it ever go away.

Bluey said:
Zook said:

Amazing really. I have seen what you look like in the picks tread.
Gotta say I think there would be a lot of guys that would trade looks with you.

Just dont be to hard on yourself.

I must be the 1/10 then, because I don't have particularly low confidence anymore and I don't really find it difficult attracting women. I just feel genuinely ugly and can't seem to shake it off. When I look in the mirror i feel absolutely disgusting and I've felt that way for so long that I know it's never going to change no matter what happens. Compliments don't help (although, believe me, I do appreciate them :)), pulling women don't help, changing the style of clothing I wear or my hair don't help. It's all fruitless.

I've been told I suffer with severe Body Dysmorphic Disorder. i honesly don't think it can be cured. I'm 36 now and I've tried all my life to think positively/differently.

I appreciate everyone's kind words. Iceman, I've seen your pic and I would happily trade looks with you.

Posting pics in that face thread helps me with confidence, so I might continue doing that. My confidence is a lot better than it used to be, but I still need it to improve.

Thanx to everyone who said nice things. :)

Zook said:
Compliments don't help (although, believe me, I do appreciate them :)),

That bit made me lol.
At lest you have a sense of humor :p

Maybe you have got Body Dysmorphic Disorder.
I dont know anything about that. So its not something I would understand.

Have you tried seeing a professional to talk about it?
It could be something thats coursing this from your past. If you are able to find the reason why maybe you can start looking at yourself has everyone else dose.
Which I would say is a very good looking young guy in the prime of his life.
Yes 36 is still young. I am 41, and I am going to keep telling myself that I am still young :D

Bluey said:

Well, I guess you would be wrong on your stats, because that's not why I think I'm not that good looking.
Like Zook, I also have BDD, but probably not as severe as him. I have NEVER been told I'm ugly. I know my opinion of myself is not shared by others, but what I see and what they see are two entirely different people.

TheRealCallie said:
Well, I guess you would be wrong on your stats,

Yep I guess I was.
Wont be the first time and probably wont be the last.

Still think most in here are suffering with a lack of confidence tho.
Which is not surprising since a lot in here are alone.

Some like you and Zook will have other reasons for how you feel, this I already know.

I dislike my appearence,I can never post a recent picture of myself on a site (which is why there isn't one on here) and sometimes if I send someone a picture I end up apologising. I have managed to lose over 3.5 stone since January 2015 and although in many ways my confidence has grown, my dislike of my appearence has grown too.

Serephina said:
I dislike my appearence,I can never post a recent picture of myself on a site (which is why there isn't one on here) and sometimes if I send someone a picture I end up apologising. I have managed to lose over 3.5 stone since January 2015 and although in many ways my confidence has grown, my dislike of my appearence has grown too.

You dont need to post one here.
Just send me one and I will share it for you :p

I have EDNOS/OSFED and dysmorphia.
I'm getting better at dealing with it though.
I used to avoid cameras and mirrors at all costs except for when I had to shave, or was planning on going out, or was brushing my teeth.
I'm still not comfortable, but I've gotten to where cameras don't bother me if I'm ready for them and mirrors don't bother me as much as they used to however they still make me uncomfortable. It's also contributed to my depression over the years a bit.

Dont hate yourself some people are not photogenical like others .Me in person i look good but when i make photos something bad hapens and i look as honeysuckle .So you are not alone have confidence in you this its more important that beautifulness

Latest posts

Back