Do you actually NEED "romantic love"?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninasju

Reaction score
This has been bothering me for a while. Scientifically I know that sex is instinctual and company/family etc over all is in our nature.
What I don't get is why so many people (unfortunately including me) long for someone to be with or whatever
Honestly I do not get it, I simply can't make sense of it and it's frustrating af...

I used to think I did. And I used to think that it would change everything around me if I had it. And then I had it. A few times.

Now I long to just be comfortable in my own skin. To find a soft place to fall within myself. To be just feel emotionally strong.

I think we've evolved past "romantic love" as a need, that's not to say that it isn't a intensely held desire for lot of people.

Social contact, in general, could be more accurately described as a need. Very few people can be happy without it.

Not a need. More a want, I think, for the majority of people. We can all survive without it. But most people do want or crave it. As ardour said, social contact or human interaction is an actual need.

I am with most of the other members. Romantic love isn't a need, but rather something we desire because it brings us pleasure. But most of the time, its temporary anyway. Its the stuff you feel when you first date someone and then slowly it disappears.

And what ardour said about companionship.

Its normal to feel frustrated over this issue. Like why do you even want to be in a relationship so bad right? I think a lot of us ask this question at some point. Perhaps its because what we really seek is companionship, and we just think that companionship = romantic partner. But there are many ways to feel less alone...good friends, family, having a sense of purpose, pets. It doesn't help that the world around us is constantly feeding us with the same notion that our lives are incomplete without a partner.

It helps to slowly stop allowing external factors to play such a pivotal role in our thoughts and desires. And I think something happens when you get older too, this whole romantic partner things seems to become less important. But even if all said and done, we still crave a romantic partner, thats ok. A lot of us feel that way. But it doesn't have to become a huge missing piece. Try to make more friends, engage in other social activities. Its not the same, but its better than nothing =)

I imagine it's great but so is a big lottery win !
Same chance of it happening for people like me !

Jafo said:
There is no such thing as "romantic love".

oh there is.. it just doesn't last very long

romantic love = honeymoon phase

This is why I think people cheat, it's easier for most people to start a new fling than to work on the relationship they already have.

I don't think it's a honeymoon phase for everyone. There are couples who have been together for decades and still have romance. That really depends on the people and how they are together.

I have been thinking a lot about this lately. I believe that romantic love is not something necessary for you to achieve your dreams and peace of mind. I think nobody should look for someone to fill any emotional gap. However, I think that even if I don't need romantic love to survive, I think it would be nice to find someone to share certain experiences, someone to count on, someone to build a future with and form a family. As humans we can adapt to most situations if we are willing to do so. Hence, we have the capacity to be able to learn to be happy with what we have (even though for me that has been hard).
In summary, no, I don't think it in necessary but it is something that it would be nice to experience.

I don't think it is a "need" but, I think some people want it so badly they, put it on a pedestal above everything else in life. For me, personally its something I've always coveted, especially when it seems like the people around me have it so easily. However, I've gone most of life without it. If it was a "need" as in humans need romance in order thrive and function, I'd probably be dead now.

There are plenty of people that have long lasting romances and then there are others that began as a romance but, deteriorated into a state of being "stuck" with one another. So, I would think there are some that crave companionship but, its only a "need" in the aspect that, humans are social beings and some quite naturally want companionship.

ninasju said:
This has been bothering me for a while. Scientifically I know that sex is instinctual and company/family etc over all is in our nature.
What I don't get is why so many people (unfortunately including me) long for someone to be with or whatever
Honestly I do not get it, I simply can't make sense of it and it's frustrating af...
I don't really understand your confusion... Are you wondering why you desire something instinctual/natural? That seems a bit contradictory. Why would you question such a thing like that?

Triple Bogey said:
I imagine it's great but so is a big lottery win !
Same chance of it happening for people like me !
You either greatly overestimate your chances of winning a lottery, or greatly underestimate your chances of you finding 'romantic love'. :)

Romantic love is fleeting - even if you meet someone and fall in love romantically, you'd better have more than that going for you or your relationship won't last long.
I love my daughter and close friends and that kind of love is maybe even stronger and more meaningful than romantic love.

Do I need romantic love? No. Next question?

-Teresa

We need food, air, water, safety, etc. To some degree we need social contact or things like our social skills and mental health can degrade... but people can and do survive without. Something like total isolation in a dark cave might drive someone crazy, though.

Wanting company is normal. What some people do is turn to romantic love and sex as a way to always have someone there validating and distracting them, so it feels like it's needed... but that's not a fair burden to place on someone.

NEEDING love is basically the equivalent of NEEDING a significant other in your life. I think this is where a lot of people run into problems. They think they NEED a girl/guy in their life to be happy, but if that's the case, it's unlikely you will ever be happy like you want, because you are putting your happiness on someone else.
Personally, and I know this is a little off topic, I think a lot of people think LUST is love, when it's not. One wants it so much that they just make themselves believe it's real love.

But yeah, it's not need, it's want.

Romantic love is nice and comforting but I would rather have nobody than somebody who is only half there or doesn't want to be there at all. I have lost count of the days that I have ended up in tears through being lonely and yet i'm in a relationship. I think it's the lonliness that is making me so depressed.

Serephina said:
Romantic love is nice and comforting but I would rather have nobody than somebody who is only half there or doesn't want to be there at all. I have lost count of the days that I have ended up in tears through being lonely and yet i'm in a relationship. I think it's the lonliness that is making me so depressed.

*hugs* I know exactly how you feel

Latest posts

Back