Do you believe in friendships between men and women?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red_Wedding_Casualty said:
I...... I couldn't go more than four minutes of listening to this. The thing is this: I know he's right. And I know it works. I've seen it with my own eyes. Because I'm the wrong kind of dick, I will never ever be interesting enough for anyone to be interested in me. But on the otherhand, this sort of mentality is so polarizing to my sense of reality. I could never adopt it, because I feel like I'd be betraying the core of my being. 

I used to be one of these 'nice guys' that complained about the friendzone. It's taken me a while to accept the way all of this works. But I could never embrace it. My morality is likely the hill I'll end up dying alone on, but so be it.

This is why all of those types of people label everything in terms of blue pills and red pills. You willingly take the blue pill (false reality) because the red one (reality) is too hard to swallow.

[youtube]Z7BuQFUhsRM[/youtube]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]"I believe that as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and suffering." -- Agent Smith[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Cliche but it fits.[/font]

I was actually meant to say, 'morality', but for some reason, it didn't save my edit. But, morality and reality are all connected, sooo......

There is no spoon.

(Just wanted to point that out :) )

Recent events make me wonder. Although it all might be this weird female younger cousin fetish kind of thing.
Regardless, goes to show you stupidity is not based in gender.

bleed_the_freak said:
Richard_39 said:
Regardless, goes to show you stupidity is not based in gender.

I'll stir the pot just to be a ********:

Men have higher IQs.

I'll lit the fire just to win the ******** contest; I agree and it's not even a close contest.

:cool:

Nope never works for me always fall for them,except for one who is my partners friend as well so have to restrain myself obviously.

I've read and dodged this thread many times....but yes. I believe in friendships between men and women. I think that both parties need to also accept and embrace the fact that there are different dynamics at play ( nurturing and protecting for example, on both parts). It is okay to accept that those feelings are there, and not misconstrue loyalty and genuine caring, as sexual. There is a difference. And even if the attraction is there, you do not have to act on it. Respect and honour is a good foundation for a long lasting friendship. Or any relationship for that matter.

Pathfinder said:
I've read and dodged this thread many times....but yes.  I believe in friendships between men and women. I think that both parties need to also accept and embrace the fact that there are different dynamics at play ( nurturing and protecting for example, on both parts).  It is okay to accept that those feelings are there, and not misconstrue loyalty and genuine caring, as sexual.    There is a difference. And even if the attraction is there, you do not have to act on it.  Respect and honour is a good foundation for a long lasting friendship. Or any relationship for that matter.

Hi Pathfinder

But what if you can't help the Neanderthal urge to fancy anyone that's female. How do you suppress it to keep a good male female friendship going .Say if your down the bar/pub  you've both had a few and your so close it hurts what do you do?

Joturbo said:
Pathfinder said:
I've read and dodged this thread many times....but yes.  I believe in friendships between men and women. I think that both parties need to also accept and embrace the fact that there are different dynamics at play ( nurturing and protecting for example, on both parts).  It is okay to accept that those feelings are there, and not misconstrue loyalty and genuine caring, as sexual.    There is a difference. And even if the attraction is there, you do not have to act on it.  Respect and honour is a good foundation for a long lasting friendship. Or any relationship for that matter.

Hi Pathfinder

But what if you can't help the Neanderthal urge to fancy anyone that's female. How do you suppress it to keep a good male female friendship going .Say if your down the bar/pub  you've both had a few and your so close it hurts what do you do?
All I know is that I don't have many real time friends, and I feel truly lucky for the ones that I have. All of them are men, with the exception of someone I lost a few years ago to cancer.  Regardless of how I feel, I swallow it.  I let it hurt. And sometimes it aches. But I cant imagine risking not having in my life what I hold most dear.
Respect...and honour. 

or go all out Baby Philosophy....if something stinks, change it   :p

Joturbo said:
Pathfinder said:

Hi Pathfinder

All I know is that I don't have many real time friends, and I feel truly lucky for the ones that I have. All of them are men, with the exception of someone I lost a few years ago to cancer.  Regardless of how I feel, I swallow it.  I let it hurt. And sometimes it aches. But I cant imagine risking not having in my life what I hold most dear.
Respect...and honour. 

or go all out Baby Philosophy....if something stinks, change it   :p

Pathfinder said:

No offence, but I consider this is more of an ideal world perspective than a reality based one.

The friendship's likely to end fairly quickly once a woman begins to suspect a man of developing those sort of feelings, even if he's okay with it remaining platonic. It bothers women a lot more. Many would argue it's necessary wariness. Friendship can work with women who fancy their male friends, but almost never the other way around.

Joturbo said:
the Neanderthal urge

I laughed at that one. It's also something I've actually been angered at more than once in my life.
I mean...is that it?
Is that really what 4000+ years of evolution has brought us? Slave to our desires? Bit of skin, bit of flesh, we go crazy and have to bang it?
EVERY time, and I mean EVERY time I hear a guy like me take out that point I get pissed. Because why not? You're telling me you had a female friend who got drunk when you didn't, got WAY too drunk for her own good, then because she's lapsing in judgment at the time, strips naked and throws herself at you, you'd take advantage of her? Because of Neanderthal impulses? Does she as a person matter so little, but as, forgive my crudeness, a hole to fill in, take precendence over any pretense of decency? Does that mean if you're alone with a kid on a desert island for 20 years, as soon as the kid grows up you'll jump it's bones?

I mean, that doesn't say anything at all about male/female relationships...but what does it say about YOU(I mean the general you, not someone in particular)?

That's actually the whole reason I'm not all that enthralled with some parts of Islam, because the excuse used by some Muslims to justify women being fully veiled is because men can't control themselves. That's a poor, VERY poor argument, to make an entire sex live through the supposed inadequecy of another sex and reeks of hypocrisy much more than any actual biological criteria. Most scientist agree that there is little to NO difference between male and female brains, certainly not enough to make men turn into blood lusted boner animals as soon as they see a woman.
The reverse is also true, with women not turning into sex vixens at the sign of male chests, which brings me to another point mentionned, that Friendship can work with women who fancy their male friends, but almost never the other way around.

Maybe that's not a reflection of actual Friendship, but a time where you should reflect on what kind of friend you've chosen. If I had a friend, a girl FRIEND, who was that shallow? Doubt she'd be my friend for long. In fact, I have had feelings for a friend of mine, a long term friend of mine, since before we were actually friends. Instead of bringing us apart, it brought us closer, one because I very much respect and live by the fact she is married and has kids with a good man and I'm genuinely happy for her...which to me is kind of the point of love. Two, it's supposed to be selfless. If every time I saw her I thought of jumping her bones, I DON'T love her, I'm serving my own immediate self-interests on the supposed excuses of biological urge or "natural order" or what not.

All this she is very much aware of and not only has she not pushed me back, she brought me in closer. Because she knows, and it's a sad reality, that not many would act that way and she loves me all the more for it. In a very platonic way, but at the same time, a deep way. We'll share a connection that will never go away and that is unique. It's to strive for, in my book, because she has my back and I have hers, forever. Friendship IS love and it should transcend any biological need.

The Neanderthal urges have a very large back. People should stop hiding behind it and start fessing up to their decisions in life.

Joturbo said:

When I was a teenager, I used to worry that I might be the kind of girl who ends up liking every guy she befriends. I thought I was going to be like that, so I kinda made my mindset change. Not sure specifically how but I just changed my perspective on guys who end up being friends with me in such a way that I don't... or can't see them any more than just a friend. It sounds a bit cold, but it doesn't have to be. Not sure if I'm making much sense here lol but maybe someone can relate too.

ladyforsaken said:
Joturbo said:

Not sure specifically how but I just changed my perspective on guys who end up being friends with me in such a way that I don't... or can't see them any more than just a friend.

So none of the guys you've been with started out as being friends first?

Richard_39 said:
Joturbo said:
the Neanderthal urge

I laughed at that one. It's also something I've actually been angered at more than once in my life.
I mean...is that it?
Is that really what 4000+ years of evolution has brought us? Slave to our desires? Bit of skin, bit of flesh, we go crazy and have to bang it?
EVERY time, and I mean EVERY time I hear a guy like me take out that point I get pissed. Because why not? You're telling me you had a female friend who got drunk when you didn't, got WAY too drunk for her own good, then because she's lapsing in judgment at the time, strips naked and throws herself at you, you'd take advantage of her? Because of Neanderthal impulses? Does she as a person matter so little, but as, forgive my crudeness, a hole to fill in, take precendence over any pretense of decency? Does that mean if you're alone with a kid on a desert island for 20 years, as soon as the kid grows up you'll jump it's bones?

I mean, that doesn't say anything at all about male/female relationships...but what does it say about YOU(I mean the general you, not someone in particular)?

That's actually the whole reason I'm not all that enthralled with some parts of Islam, because the excuse used by some Muslims to justify women being fully veiled is because men can't control themselves. That's a poor, VERY poor argument, to make an entire sex live through the supposed inadequecy of another sex and reeks of hypocrisy much more than any actual biological criteria. Most scientist agree that there is little to NO difference between male and female brains, certainly not enough to make men turn into blood lusted boner animals as soon as they see a woman.
The reverse is also true, with women not turning into sex vixens at the sign of male chests, which brings me to another point mentionned, that Friendship can work with women who fancy their male friends, but almost never the other way around.

Maybe that's not a reflection of actual Friendship, but a time where you should reflect on what kind of friend you've chosen. If I had a friend, a girl FRIEND, who was that shallow? Doubt she'd be my friend for long. In fact, I have had feelings for a friend of mine, a long term friend of mine, since before we were actually friends. Instead of bringing us apart, it brought us closer, one because I very much respect and live by the fact she is married and has kids with a good man and I'm genuinely happy for her...which to me is kind of the point of love. Two, it's supposed to be selfless. If every time I saw her I thought of jumping her bones, I DON'T love her, I'm serving my own immediate self-interests on the supposed excuses of biological urge or "natural order" or what not.

All this she is very much aware of and not only has she not pushed me back, she brought me in closer. Because she knows, and it's a sad reality, that not many would act that way and she loves me all the more for it. In a very platonic way, but at the same time, a deep way. We'll share a connection that will never go away and that is unique. It's to strive for, in my book, because she has my back and I have hers, forever. Friendship IS love and it should transcend any biological need.

The Neanderthal urges have a very large back. People should stop hiding behind it and start fessing up to their decisions in life.

Hi Richard

Thanks for your in depth response to my post about male -female friendship .Maybe I've lived too sheltered a life because of my core respect for women that have been friends I have never gone further than drinks down the pub. Of course I've had relationships that started as friendship perfectly natural when you both fall in love I think you'd agree.

Not sure where the boning ,teenagers,islands,taking advantage of drunk women came from but that's certainly not me...but I love your tangents certainly make for an interesting read. :D

Joturbo said:
Hi Richard

Thanks for your in depth response to my post about male -female friendship .Maybe I've lived too sheltered a life because of my core respect for women that have been friends I have never gone further than drinks down the pub. Of course I've had relationships that started as friendship perfectly natural when you both fall in love I think you'd agree.

Not sure where the boning ,teenagers,islands,taking advantage of drunk women came from but that's certainly not me...but I love your tangents certainly make for an interesting read. :D

Oh, it's not directed AT you ;-)
But when I see comments that imply people have urges that they can't control? I kind of freak. Everyone is capable of self control, most use inability as an excuse way too often. We all have impulses but to say they cannot be controlled irks me. It's simply not true, it's people who have decided to ACT (because pursuing a sexual relationship with a woman who is a friend when you shouldn't is a decision, not a necessity) and afterwards blame impulses, urges and whatnot.
But, you know, maybe it's just me. I'm kind of a control freak ;-)

Latest posts

Back