Do you ever wish that you could go back in time and change the past or leave it as is

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No - if I did, i would have a dark side - exploit people - and treat people the way i was treated - therefore, i would settle for having my memory erased and start anew from where i am at now - it does not pay dividens to be a nice person and treat people with respect and honour - for example, today, i was probably stupid turning in the money clip to the front security desk of our office building - i could have been fairly loaded with money tonight.

Do you ever wish that you could go back in time and change the past or leave it as is

It depends on the circumstance, I suppose.

For some things, I wish I could turn back the clock of time and do something else. For example, I wish I got into sports and martial arts at an earlier age rather than later, but I suppose it's better late than never.

For a few personal things, yes sometimes I wish I could change things of the past. There's a lot of things I regret doing but I suppose at the end of the day, you're right, from the mistakes we make we have an opportunity to learn from and grow, becoming wiser and stronger.

I think it's funny, every year I always think to myself "You were so stupid last year, you're a lot smarter now!" - I know it sounds dumb but it makes me laugh. :p

This is a tough question to answer. Seeing who I am now, I'm happy with the results of my past, but some actions I've taken in my recent past I would probably change. Unfortunately I have to learn things the hard way, so I tend to make a huge mess of my life.

The one major aspect I would change if I could is I would have embraced my introversion in social situations earlier. It's so much easier for me to socialize since I have.

I have to say it would not be good for me to go back and change things. If I did, the 2 possible results would be:
1.) I would not be born. Not that that is a bad thing.
2.) I would go on a killing spree as a kid.

No, I wouldn't change anything, at least yet.

The problem with this is that going back in time and doing one thing differently doesn't guarantee a better outcome. Our futures are remarkably sensitive to our present state; change one thing about our past and we may not even recognize our "new" present selves. For better or worse.

Maybe I'd use this ability under some circumstances. If I suddenly found myself being beaten to death by some gangsters, then I'd probably turn back the clock. The ramifications are endless, but I'd figure I probably couldn't do worse than what I'm experiencing now.

I would change so I am not born

Of course, can not be sure.. but, I think it likely, the lives of people who had to deal with me, they would be better.

DiscoSpider said:
It depends on the circumstance, I suppose.

For some things, I wish I could turn back the clock of time and do something else. For example, I wish I got into sports and martial arts at an earlier age rather than later, but I suppose it's better late than never.

For a few personal things, yes sometimes I wish I could change things of the past. There's a lot of things I regret doing but I suppose at the end of the day, you're right, from the mistakes we make we have an opportunity to learn from and grow, becoming wiser and stronger.

I think it's funny, every year I always think to myself "You were so stupid last year, you're a lot smarter now!" - I know it sounds dumb but it makes me laugh. :p

It doesn't sound dumb at all. "Hindsight is 20/20" and "If you knew then what you know now" If you learn from your mistakes or learn from experiences good or bad then you are that much wiser in life. :)

landlocked said:
This is a tough question to answer. Seeing who I am now, I'm happy with the results of my past, but some actions I've taken in my recent past I would probably change. Unfortunately I have to learn things the hard way, so I tend to make a huge mess of my life.

The one major aspect I would change if I could is I would have embraced my introversion in social situations earlier. It's so much easier for me to socialize since I have.

Just curious as I am an introvert as well, how is it easier to socialize?

When I first saw this post, I would have said yes. Because there are things I wish hadn't happened that did. But, now when I think about it. No. I wouldn't want to. I've learned and become a hopefully better person for all the hardships. Also, if I were to focus on all the bad things that have happened, I might miss the good things that are happening now. :)

I like to think that my past has made me into who I am and that I have no regrets. But in reality, I would change almost everything.

This is kind of random, but I wish I could go back to my childhood to brush my teeth properly. I should have also gotten braces as a teenager like all my normal friends. Now I'm stuck with overcrowded teeth & afraid to get the extra ones pulled out, even the ones with fillings in them, due to a mild dentist phobia :p

Yes, I suppose I would certainly do things differently if I had the chance. I was quite the society rebel when I was young, always going against the grain - a misfit of sorts. It has cost me greatly. I have managed to straighten out my life somewhat, however, and though I could've been much more ahead (had my actions been more rational), I can't say that I've necessarily done that bad. Grateful for what I've got, though I took the long way up the mountain to get where I'm at.

I always think about it. I learn from my mistakes but I also wonder if I will encounter the same situations again in the future and use what I learned to make things right. Especially now that I spend so much time by myself again...

Personally, I wouldn't change anything. My life now, as it is, isn't perfect... but who's to say if I went back and changed things, that it'd guarantee happiness in the future?

I look at my life and all of my mistakes, regrets, flaws, and failures, and I believe that they've shaped me into the person that I am right now. I'm proud of that. I'm proud of myself for being able to deal with everything life has thrown at me, and continue to.

I also believe that things will get better for me. I don't really know when, but I hold faith that it will. We all beat ourselves up about our pasts, dwelling on things we wish we'd done differently... but then we wouldn't be human if we didn't, right?

I used to obsess over it. For years I thought for sure I'd find a way to go back and save my father. I wish I could just denounce this life as a bad dream or terrible alternate reality, and trade places with an alternate me.

All of you who said you wouldn't change anything.... apparently have nothing you'd like to change... I can't see how anyone would not want to change things, if given a chance. Theres always some editing to be done, a change here and there for the better. I guess the edit button encourages mistakes though.

I would but for the small things. Solely for the last semester or so I've failed in University and I'd like to approach them once more to get the chance to succeed in them. As for everything else, I say it's fine as it is.

Stranger said:
This is kind of random, but I wish I could go back to my childhood to brush my teeth properly. I should have also gotten braces as a teenager like all my normal friends. Now I'm stuck with overcrowded teeth & afraid to get the extra ones pulled out, even the ones with fillings in them, due to a mild dentist phobia :p

I have a phobia of needles so I think I scare the dentists more when I say no needle, just go ahead and drill....lol :p

Jack _ said:
Personally, I wouldn't change anything. My life now, as it is, isn't perfect... but who's to say if I went back and changed things, that it'd guarantee happiness in the future?

I look at my life and all of my mistakes, regrets, flaws, and failures, and I believe that they've shaped me into the person that I am right now. I'm proud of that. I'm proud of myself for being able to deal with everything life has thrown at me, and continue to.

I also believe that things will get better for me. I don't really know when, but I hold faith that it will. We all beat ourselves up about our pasts, dwelling on things we wish we'd done differently... but then we wouldn't be human if we didn't, right?

I totally agree :)

Phaedron said:
I used to obsess over it. For years I thought for sure I'd find a way to go back and save my father. I wish I could just denounce this life as a bad dream or terrible alternate reality, and trade places with an alternate me.

All of you who said you wouldn't change anything.... apparently have nothing you'd like to change... I can't see how anyone would not want to change things, if given a chance. Theres always some editing to be done, a change here and there for the better. I guess the edit button encourages mistakes though.

I have lots that I would love to change, #1 I would want to save my dad so that he would still be here too.

However, I believe that everything happens for a reason. Maybe that reason might not be apparent but, there is a reason. I would love to have my dad alive today to see me and hopefully be proud of me. But, would I still be the same person?

When my dad passed away, I had to grow up and grow up fast, to take care of my mom and sister. If my dad hadn't passed away, would I have grown up or would I be still a little immature? If my dad didn't pass away, I don't think that I would have met my now husband, or gotten married or bought this house. The list goes on and that's just if my dad didn't pass away.

When the company I worked for in 2008 shut down, I got a servence package that helped pay for my wedding and down payment for the house I live in now. If I changed that, would I have gotten married? Or would I be living in this house right now?

The list goes on but, everyone focuses on the bad parts that they want to change. If you did change all the bad parts, would you be happier? How do you know that by changing those bad parts that the haven't created even more worse things to happen? Or maybe everything does go smoothly but are you happy?

These are some things to ponder.......

Latest posts

Back