Ever force yourself to cry when you don't really have to?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howtobealone

Reaction score
Over the last couple of days I've felt pretty sad, and although I've felt the beginning of an urge to cry, I was very far away from the point of actually having to cry. I guess the closest thing I could compare it to is being emotionally constipated. This morning in the shower I tried to get it out, so I started telling myself really sad things that I didn't necessarily even believe and I really indulged in feeling sorry for myself. It took minutes of doing this, but I was finally able to cry. Afterward, I felt a lot better, almost as if I has taken a Xanax.

Has anyone here ever done something like this?

I think I've been in such a shock for the past months, that sometimes I want to cry and I can't even cry. Usually, it's better to distract yourself or try to fix the issue In such occasions, or talk with someone willing to listen and help. In my case, I can't do either of those, so I just suck it up and go through it, usually lasts a couple of days.

Kind of, I never really cried past age 7, so I had to relearn how to do it later on in life. I don't know if that counts as not having to though

No, I have never forced myself to cry. Whenever I cry, they were real tears of pain.

I have sometimes forced myself to cry using music. There are certain songs that can bring instant tears to me and it can be a relief. It things have been wearing me down for a long time and there is no escape, sometimes a good cry can bring about a good night's sleep.

blackdot said:
I have sometimes forced myself to cry using music. There are certain songs that can bring instant tears to me and it can be a relief. It things have been wearing me down for a long time and there is no escape, sometimes a good cry can bring about a good night's sleep.

I so agree with this. There are reasons for sad songs, and sometimes you need to just get it out, have a good cry. I find that I sleep like a baby after a good cry. And it's funny because a certain song can make me cry, and I'll listen to it a week later and nothing. I have songs for people and songs for experiences.
There's nothing wrong with a good cry, in fact, it might make you feel a little better...

Nothing wrong with what you did. Catharsis is not a current concept, but there seems to be something analogous to it. Things like crying and raging really can leave a person feeling calm. If it works for you keep doing it. :)

But I've never done that myself with tears. A couple of times I've thrown a tantrum and thrown non-breakable objects against hard surfaces and ended up feeling peaceful and relaxed afterwards.

I have tried it few times by just being curious can I cry without being sad and yes... I can. I just think some very sad moment in my life and tears start flowing.

When I was young I used to purposefully put on slow lovesick type music and lay there for hours on the sofa crying, thinking about the boy I loved. In retrospect... WTF was wrong with me lol.

Latest posts

Back