Fat Bashing.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pathfinder said:
For me personally, right up there with the "C" word towards a woman, the "N" word....is the "F" word for people who struggle with their weight. I see it as hurtful and demeaning with nothing but negative connotations attached to it. That is my personal opinion. A bigger person should never be called or labelled as "fat". It is a word that is thrown around far too much and I agree, can have a very negative impact a young age.

There's a movement to embrace "fat" as valid ie. the fat acceptance movement.

I don't see it as having the same hateful connotations as the "C" or "N" words.

ardour said:
Pathfinder said:
For me personally, right up there with the "C" word towards a woman, the "N" word....is the "F" word for people who struggle with their weight. I see it as hurtful and demeaning with nothing but negative connotations attached to it. That is my personal opinion. A bigger person should never be called or labelled as "fat". It is a word that is thrown around far too much and I agree, can have a very negative impact a young age.

All those words are used to degraded ... same thing !!!!

ardour said:
Pathfinder said:

thank you for sharing that - different perspectives are good. from different points of view - and different places and times in life - which should each be respected

BadGuy said:
ardour said:
Pathfinder said:

All those words are used to degraded ... same thing !!!!

I think it highly depends on the intent with which the words were said. But even if it was malicious, some decide to own the word "fat" and they wear it proudly. Just as in some circles the C-word is used as a casual term to shittalk each other, even independent from gender. And let's not forget about gay people who decide to own the other F-word, essentially disarming it. Plus all the people on the internet who use it just as casually to refer to one another.

I haven't read all eleven pages so someone might have said this already, and if so I apologise in advance. There was a article in the newspaper several days ago saying that it is healthier to be overweight (or what is considered to be overweight in western society), with a BMI of 25-30, rather than under 25. As I fall into the 25-30 range, I had a bag of sweets to celebrate:)

Tiina63 said:
I haven't read all eleven pages so someone might have said this already, and if so I apologise in advance. There was a article in the newspaper several days ago saying that it is healthier to be overweight (or what is considered to be overweight in western society), with a BMI of 25-30, rather than under 25. As I fall into the 25-30 range, I had a bag of sweets to celebrate:)

Basing one's stance on the healthiness or unhealthiness of being overweight upon one "newspaper article" might fall into the realm of naive. Be careful what you read and unquestioningly believe, especially if it goes against an entire body of scientific research and conventional understanding in society. I've read a lot of claims in newspapers that turned out to be false or outright lies. This is why I prefer peer-reviewed scientific journals for such topics. That being said, pass a chocolate this way please.

ardour said:
Pathfinder said:

When people are in the fat acceptance part of life, they may still be hurt by being called fat by another person, most likely a stranger. It's more like when you call a lady a *****. It may be a joke from one to another but it still hurts when someone else calls them that. But maybe eventually the term fat will be discriminated just like other sayings.

bleed_the_freak said:
Basing one's stance on the healthiness or unhealthiness of being overweight upon one "newspaper article" might fall into the realm of naive. Be careful what you read and unquestioningly believe, especially if it goes against an entire body of scientific research and conventional understanding in society. I've read a lot of claims in newspapers that turned out to be false or outright lies. This is why I prefer peer-reviewed scientific journals for such topics. That being said, pass a chocolate this way please.

The newspaper article was supported by fact. There is a known protective boost to being overweight. There are also studies that show it helps bones remain strong due to the weight on them. However, what you really need to question in the newspaper are all these studies that supposedly "conclude" that being obese is linked with death. "Linked" being the key word. Today I saw a study that said the flu vaccine doesn't work as well on the obese -- but the headline is that obesity causes the vaccine not to work. That is poor science right there. There could be numerous reasons why including, most obviously, that Vitamin D is well known to boost the immune system and has shown a protective effect against the flu...and the overweight simply lose Vitamin D to their fat. The fat soaks up the vitamin d which is fat soluble. But that can be easily remedied by a vitamin D supplement.

Did you know that numerous legitimate studies have shown that you have a higher chance of death the lower your cholesterol is? The fact is that cholesterol is necessary for your body and the "normal" levels were determined by a sampling group in WWII -- the Framingham Heart Study and hasn't been looked at since. But you always hear that fat people have more cholesterol... err so? Doctors admit that people with low cholesterol still have heart attacks so obviously that isn't the problem. And you don't at all need to be fat to have high cholesterol.

It is just too obvious that medicine has figured out a way to both shove off patients problems, diagnosing everything as a problem of obesity or being over weight, and also, make money off it with diets and surgery.

I don't have a problem with the "F" word. I would far more like people to say things than what they really do.. talk behind others backs, don't consider them for jobs, and generally treat them badly while being polite.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
TheDude76 said:
I don't understand your reply. I'm definitely not fat-phobic. To be quite honest, I take a long time walking past a Lane Bryant... ;-)

I guess because I was agreeing with you ... it is all the others on this board that blithely go on about those fatties who suck up their air when they sit near them. As if that is legitmate and not exhibit A in fat bashing school. Anyone can be too close for comfort fat / thin etc.

I clearly said it wasn't about size. It was the fact that it seemed as though he was saying to not apologize for being in someone's way. It seemed rude to me with the way he worded it. And at any size, I'll never be blatantly rude like that. You have someone that you agree with not understanding what you're saying, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who looks at your posts and doesn't really know what you're saying. You're so quick to want to argue, I'm not even sure what your stance is.

Also, kids tend to get in my way more than anything. Little kids in which their parents aren't watching them much at all. So it's not always "fatties sucking up air" and I wouldn't say that anyway.

Serenia said:
I am so sick of fat bashing.

I see and hear it everywhere. People know they are overweight or obese, why do they need to be ridiculed, bullied or excluded from it.

I hear you. I also believe that people usually know when something is wrong, and that they would like to do better if they could, but for some reason it isn't working. Maybe they don't believe they can, or maybe they've tried different strategies but nothing has worked so far. I can't stand any kind of bullying. Like you said, it does nothing to solve the problem, and the people doing it aren't doing it because they really care about whether the person solves their problem or not. They're just doing it to be cruel.

Serenia said:
From my observations it sadly seems in quite a number of people to be acceptable to make people feel bad about it. I hear it everyday somewhere outside in my real life and that is not exagerating.

I have seen it on this forum, in dating anecdotes, where the fact the other person was overweight as being a major flaw? Is it really?

The number of sitcoms that I have seen over the years where it is verbally unacceptable to date a "Fatty", The Big Bag Theory, Rules of Engagement, Friends, How I met your Mother to name a few I have heard it in.

That is the worst - when the particular thing you struggle with is socially acceptable to mock, and even encouraged by popular culture. I can relate somewhat. I don't have an issue with weight, but I've also found that it is similarly socially acceptable and encouraged to mock men who have a hard time in the dating world. I don't want to get off your topic of weight but I don't understand why people think it's okay and even enjoyable to make fun of others who are hurting. And in particular, people on this forum should know better than to also act that way. We're all here because we have our struggles.

Serenia said:
So I am not disputing it is unhealthy, and I will bet that a good deal of people overweight or obese would like to be a healthy weight. Being made of fun of isn't going to help. I wonder how many of these people have become overweight/obese due to emotional eating, so it just becomes a vicious circle when they hear things like that.

I totally get where you're coming from in that making fun of someone does absolutely nothing to help. If a person is going to tackle their problems they need to be built up. Tearing them down only makes them feel like the problem is insurmountable.

I've always had a suspicion that the notion people have, that it's the person's own fault for eating too much, is wrong. It shows a desire to blame and a lack of willingness to understand. Maybe snacking or drinking beer is part of the issue, but I imagine there are other medical reasons that cause a person to be overweight, like having a low metabolism or being genetically predisposed to obesity. Don't some people try diets, only to not really lose any weight? I can't imagine that overeating alone is the problem. I don't think it's that simple.

Serenia said:
Fat people have feelings too, the rejection of being fat is awful. Would people date them if they lost weight? They are the same person underneath the blubber.

Rant over.

I'm sorry to see you feeling so low, Serenia. You don't deserve this bullying, and it's okay for you to feel like venting. But I hope you won't let the haters keep you down. Hang in there :)

(hugs)

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
The newspaper article was supported by fact.

Which article?
What facts?

Just to clarify, I didn't make a truth claim. I merely pointed out that a single newspaper article is not a sound basis for embracing obesity (or any other belief).

You, however, have now made a truth claim: "The newspaper article was supported by fact."

If you have the article mentioned and the peer-reviewed studies that back it up, post them.

My initial point stands, which was simply that one newspaper article does not a credible research body make.

bleed_the_freak said:
EmilyFoxSeaton said:
The newspaper article was supported by fact.

My initial point stands, which was simply that one newspaper article does not a credible research body make.

I would agree with you, Bleed. An article is written by someone, and that someone probably chose a point of view to write from. This is why I don't consider articles or videos as fact, but more of a reference from a point of view. Different point of views are nice to see and hear, but shouldn't be taken as fact when forming an opinion.

When I took the morning train this morning, on my way to a back scratcher convention where they sell a million kinds of back scratchers. some lady bump into a big guy she said she was sorry but yet he screamed at her "stay out my space whore bag" and I found that very uncalled for.

But soon he got off the train, another passenger slap him on the back of his neck and told him Not to treat people that way and he started to cry.

Latest posts

Back