Gene of kindness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimizu

Reaction score
Do you think kindness is (partly or wholy) genetic? The traditional "engineering tools" to build a good character in humans are religion and philosophy. I don't trust any kind of religions or philosophies enough...

I keep thinking about how actual humans who are followers of those religions or philosophies constantly violate their "virtues" and "morals".. it seems two-faced to me.

But then you have kind people everywhere, in any time... it seems that time, place, and philosophical setting don't affect the level of kindness among a population... there are just some kind people and they act nice... at any epoch, in any country. Maybe they are just born nice?

That's a comforting thought... then you could just take some nice people and settle them on another planet... then it would be an entire population of nice, non-aggressive, kind people. :)

Sure it wouldn't be problemless, but much more understanding and compassionate than where we live.

mimizu said:
That's a comforting thought... then you could just take some nice people and settle them on another planet... then it would be an entire population of nice, non-aggressive, kind people. :)

Sure it wouldn't be problemless, but much more understanding and compassionate than where we live.

well some aggressive people are nice, in australia where im from people are usually outgoing and seem agressive but they can be teh nicest people i guess

i think theres no such thing as a kindness gene, everyone is born nice in some ways and the enviroment which people grew up in is also a factor i think.

What's nice about them if they are aggressive?
"Aggression" is responding with hostility when spoken to, and also all kinds of manners and behaviors whose purpose is to intimidate or belittle the other person, especially if they don't belong to the aggressor's social circle.

Really, I don't think anyone likes being treated aggressively, including you kaviii. Do you enjoy being insulted, or yelled at, or punched? Do you enjoy having a rude response when you ask something? Do you enjoy being made to feel inferior? Obviously not... so perhaps those people are aggressive, but not to you... they see you as a friend and act nice towards you. But not towards others.

Which is a big problem today. People are only nice to those whom they know well, and aggressive to everyone else. Nobody knows me well, so everybody acts like an enemy to me.

You aren't aggressive either, even though you defend aggression for some reason... you wouldn't enjoy it being used against you. An aggressive response to my topic would be something like "shut up and go kill yourself". That's the level of politeness in modern society. We live in a "fresia off and die" society now.

I think you can be born angry or a non-nice person to an extent. There are certain chemicals in the brain that you may inherit from someone that would lean your tendancies for being angry. But most of a humans "niceness" is based on how they are brought up in the world. Take example A. Bob. - ( no offense to all the lovely bobs out there )...okay bobs dad is a serial killer and bobs mom is a crackhead. Chances are he will inheriate certain chemicals from his parents that will and/or can cause anger and non-niceness. But if you take Bob as a baby from his parents and put him with a neutral/or nice family. A nice atmosphere. And a decent upbringing, He will gain the understanding of being NICE. Not saying this is the only way. He could be brought up by his originally parents and learn how to be nice as well. But that doesnt change the fact that he has that tiny little inheriated chemicals of anger. But i personally beleave that A persons traits and personality are HUGELY based on how they are brought up and what not. Just my opionion i could be wrong.

mimizu said:
Really, I don't think anyone likes being treated aggressively, including you kaviii. Do you enjoy being insulted, or yelled at, or punched? Do you enjoy having a rude response when you ask something? Do you enjoy being made to feel inferior? Obviously not... so perhaps those people are aggressive, but not to you... they see you as a friend and act nice towards you. But not towards others.

Which is a big problem today. People are only nice to those whom they know well, and aggressive to everyone else. Nobody knows me well, so everybody acts like an enemy to me.

You aren't aggressive either, even though you defend aggression for some reason... you wouldn't enjoy it being used against you. An aggressive response to my topic would be something like "shut up and go kill yourself". That's the level of politeness in modern society. We live in a "fresia off and die" society now.

Sorry, i took the word agression in a different meaning i thought you meant agression as in outgoing...

You can be outgoing and kind... "kind" in a social context means being polite and friendly to people, even people you don't know.

Just for the record, so that we know what we are speaking about...

Main Entry: ag·gres·sion
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin aggression-, aggressio attack, from aggredi to attack, from ad- + gradi to step, go
1 : a forceful action or procedure (as an unprovoked attack) especially when intended to dominate or master
2 : the practice of making attacks or encroachments; especially : unprovoked violation by one country of the territorial integrity of another
3 : hostile, injurious, or destructive behavior or outlook especially when caused by frustration

Main Entry: hos·tile
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin hostilis, from hostis
1.a : of or relating to an enemy <hostile fire>
1.b : marked by malevolence <a hostile act>
1.c : openly opposed or resisting <a hostile critic> <hostile to new ideas> d (1) : not hospitable <plants growing in a hostile environment> (2) : having an intimidating, antagonistic, or offensive nature <a hostile workplace>

Main Entry: kind
1 chiefly dialect : AFFECTIONATE, LOVING
2.a : of a sympathetic or helpful nature
2.b : of a forbearing nature : GENTLE
2.c : arising from or characterized by sympathy or forbearance <a kind act>
3 : of a kind to give pleasure or relief

Main Entry: sym·pa·thet·ic
Pronunciation: "sim-p&-'the-tik
Etymology: New Latin sympatheticus, from Latin sympathia sympathy
1 : existing or operating through an affinity, interdependence, or mutual association
2 a : appropriate to one's mood, inclinations, or disposition b : marked by kindly or pleased appreciation <the biographer's approach was sympathetic>
3 : given to, marked by, or arising from sympathy , compassion, friendliness, and sensitivity to others' emotions <a sympathetic gesture>
4 : favorably inclined : APPROVING <not sympathetic to the idea>
5 a : showing empathy b : arousing sympathy or compassion <a sympathetic role in the play>
6 a : of or relating to the sympathetic nervous system b : mediated by or acting on the sympathetic nerves
7 : relating to musical tones produced by sympathetic vibration or to strings so tuned as to sound by sympathetic vibration

I think some people aren't even aware of the fact that they are "not nice". I also feel that some of our actions are habit. I have a habit of reacting instead of responding. I try not to do it but sometimes I cannot control myself.

I used to be a very angry,selfish,bitter person..my mother is very cold and unaffectionate..father? (suicide) I made a consious effort to change..and I have..my relatives have complimented me on how I have changed..only bad thing the anger,biterness were walls that helped me..there gone now..I feel very naked and sensitive, although I hide it well..

Searching_4_My_Soul-Mate said:
I think some people aren't even aware of the fact that they are "not nice".  I also feel that some of our actions are habit.  I have a habit of reacting instead of responding.  I try not to do it but sometimes I cannot control myself.

kazman32 said:
I used to be a very angry,selfish,bitter person..my mother is very cold and unaffectionate..father? (suicide) I made a consious effort to change..and I have..my relatives have complimented me on how I have changed..only bad thing the anger,biterness were walls that helped me..there gone now..I feel very naked and sensitive, although I hide it well..

It is hard to change. I have bombarded myself with books about positive attitude and being happy. At work - I am always laughing and having fun on the outside. I am very sad and angry on the inside. I have done a good job on masking my pain - but it does come out sometimes. Sometimes it explodes from holding it inside.

Latest posts

Back