Going out depresses me

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr p

Reaction score
Ok, this is more about venting and remembering I actually feel like this than anything.
Anyway, I've noticed a trend from my outings with (some/most) friends. I never feel like part of the gang, I never have anything to say, or I say stupid things to try to be funny (which is almost never fun for anyone, sometimes I hit the bull's eye). I always ride the subway back home alone, all tipsy and depressed, wondering whether I'm a homosexual. When I get back home, I get pissed off about the smallest things not working (like a song won't start or something). All-in-all, not very nice experiences. I'm contemplating never going out anymore.
The thing about me not talking much is probably because the places we go to are always playing music, and my voice is hard to hear over that. So everyone goes "huh" when I speak. It's hard for me to hear what other people say, too.
Anyway, I feel bad for posting so much bad stuff here, but obviously something's wrong with me, and I'm getting so fed up with this...

Edit: 45 minutes later and I'm not really depressed anymore. Or maybe I'm hiding it. Stupid mood swings. Anyway, I've come up with a new (for me, at least) way of interacting with other people; ONLY concentrate on THEM. Ask questions, follow-up questions, etc. Cover it up somehow so it doesn't seem like an interview. And DON'T try to be witty, but don't be dead-serious either. Note: it should be possible to talk to girls without getting branded as a ladykiller. Any input?

Edit2: depressed again, an hour later. well well.

When you go to a club with loud music...

...JUST DANCE, BABY!!!! DANCE!!! XD

Seriously. I'm not a dancer, myself...but if you're uncomfortable talking, then let your body do the speaking.

----Steve

You know the booze, cigs and drugs take their toll on you after a while so find a better release. I've picked up the guitar. I still don't like going out but I'm at least a little happier with my guitar by my side at home.

Badjedidude said:
When you go to a club with loud music...

...JUST DANCE, BABY!!!! DANCE!!! XD

Seriously. I'm not a dancer, myself...but if you're uncomfortable talking, then let your body do the speaking.

----Steve

Yea but this wasn't even a club :! If I'm in a club, i dance, because there's nothing else to do really. It can be fun though, but it always feels like a mating ritual. Kinda like in Futurama, where Dr. Zoidberg goes to that mating-beach on his home planet to find a woman to swim out to sea with. He's the only one left in the end.
Anyway, this was at a student pub with a lot of "like-minded" peers. So I should want to talk to people there. Maybe I don't drink enough, I'm quite a moderate drinker.

Playing the guitar is nice, but too hard on my fingers, lol. I play the piano.

oarivan said:
You know the booze, cigs and drugs take their toll on you after a while so find a better release. I've picked up the guitar. I still don't like going out but I'm at least a little happier with my guitar by my side at home.

Just because you're quitting doesn't give you the right to tell other people what to do for their enjoyment "release".

With that said, enjoy your guitar.

idle said:
oarivan said:

Just because you're quitting doesn't give you the right to tell other people what to do for their enjoyment "release".

With that said, enjoy your guitar.

well said.

idle said:

He wasn't telling anyone to do anything. He was sharing his personal life experience on this issue. Is that not allowed here or am I mistaken?

----Steve

"You know the booze, cigs and drugs take their toll on you after a while so find a better release."

sounds like he is.

but this is mr p's thread...

keep rockin' that piano mr p :p

*shrug* lol sounded to me like he was just saying that ultimately booze, cigs, and drugs don't make things any better for you....that those are a bit of a dead end.

haha it's not like he was holding a gun to the OP's head, telling him, "FIND A BETTER RELEASE! IF YOU DO THIS STUFF, I'LL SHOOT!" :p

----Steve

i'm not even sure if he was responding to the OP, who never even mentioned drugs or cigs in his posts, maybe he was responding to socrates who spoke of using substances to 'cover issues up' which sounds like a situation where abuse may develop as a coping strategy.. idk.

yep, he didn't threaten murder that is true, but there was no mention of moderation or personal choice.

i concede we are all entitled to an opinion but it stills sounds preachy to me. many people have lived well having smoked, drunk and dabbled in drugs without it having become a self destructive 'dead end'.

there are no wrong or right lifestyles, just choices :)

Stating a personal opinion is well within my rights. If you don't like said opinion, ignore it.

@Badjedidude: Threatening with violence is quite effective. A lot of the issues on this forum can be solved that way.

lol if you say so. :p I can't say that the prospect of being threatened online would be very frightening to me...but *shrug* ya never know. XD

----Steve

mr p said:
Ok, this is more about venting and remembering I actually feel like this than anything.
The thing about me not talking much is probably because the places we go to are always playing music, and my voice is hard to hear over that. So everyone goes "huh" when I speak. It's hard for me to hear what other people say, too.

I have exactly the same thing in places where they play music! No one can hear me and I can't hear them bleh I hate it -.- .

Well, now I know i'm not the only one and you are neither! :)

About the depressions, I sometimes also have thoughts about not going out anymore because "It isn't working" but after a couple of days I can't wait till the weekend and drink some beers :D

But yeah, depressions suck... bad. I know it won't help but the only thing I can tell is hang in there!

oarivan said:
Stating a personal opinion is well within my rights. If you don't like said opinion, ignore it.

i thought this was a place where we were all free to agree/disagree and like/dislike opinions and comment on them in a free manner (with the only proviso that we don't berate or insult anyone in the process)

to my thinking i don't think you have a 'right' to tell someone to find a 'better' release but it doesn't diminish in anyway what has personally worked for you and your (as i take it) sincere positive intention to help somebody feel better about themselves and their life.

for the record i don't think that any kind of substance abuse is a good coping strategy but i have gone through times in my life where i was abstaining from certain substances and felt to opinionate to others in my life i cared about to the point where it caused conflict and i realised i was projecting a form of judgementalism regarding someone else's lifestyle.

it wasn't my place and it was their choice. positive support in its many forms would have been a better decision.

that's where i'm coming from dude :)

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:
oarivan said:

i thought this was a place where we were all free to agree/disagree and like/dislike opinions and comment on them in a free manner (with the only proviso that we don't berate or insult anyone in the process)

to my thinking i don't think you have a 'right' to tell someone to find a 'better' release but it doesn't diminish in anyway what has personally worked for you and your (as i take it) sincere positive intention to help somebody feel better about themselves and their life.

for the record i don't think that any kind of substance abuse is a good coping strategy but i have gone through times in my life where i was abstaining from certain substances and felt to opinionate to others in my life i cared about to the point where it caused conflict and i realised i was projecting a form of judgementalism regarding someone else's lifestyle.

it wasn't my place and it was their choice. positive support in its many forms would have been a better decision.

that's where i'm coming from dude :)

I have no qualms with your agreeing or disagreeing to my post. Critically examining my earlier statement, I see what I said came off less a suggestion but more 'preachy'. It was more a suggestion though. I do honestly suggest a better release.

Maverick1989 said:
I have exactly the same thing in places where they play music! No one can hear me and I can't hear them bleh I hate it -.- .
But yeah, depressions suck... bad. I know it won't help but the only thing I can tell is hang in there!

The first one there is kinda interesting. Why is it so hard to make ourselves heard? Or hear others? Weird. Maybe we're not really there, you know what I mean?

Regarding the depressions, they're mood swings I guess. Maybe there's an underlying depression that causes mood swings now and then, but I don't know. I'm afraid I've been depressed for the last.. 8 years or something, without really knowing.

I probably ought to say something about the booze stuff; heh! I did not see that discussion coming. Really, I don't drink to drown my sorrows. I drink because it tastes good. Plus, sometimes it works as a social lubricant, but not this time.

Latest posts

Back