have you ever done something really nasty ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko

Reaction score
is it fair to in part attribute it to a manifestation of symptoms related to clinical depression ? are you more likely to react in an erratic or different way to situations if you are depressed ?

I think if you're consciously and logically trying to attribute it to something, it's pretty unlikely that it CAN be attributed to it.

But...everyone snaps.
I'd say "snapping" is much more plausible a justification than clinical depression.

hmm maybe. how about snapping repeatedly though over quite a long period of time ?

They say clinical depression is due to an imbalance of chemicals in the body... or brain. It would make sense that someone might react differently when they are depressed if your brain isn' working the way it should. Perhaps it is different for each person?

Personally, I'm more prone to irrational choices and behaviors when I'm feeling blue.

I mean cause that sounds more typical of manic depression to me is all.

I'm more prone to be snappish when I'm hurting and upset about something. My patience gets short and I get a ton more sensitive and reactive. I do have issues with depression, but the snapping is purely based on something troubling me at that time, or..pms and something troubling me.

I'd never 'do' something to hurt anyone though, I don't think there's ever a good excuse to hurt someone on purpose.

Actually doing something nasty, well.. I think it depends on how nasty, and what the person doing it is normally like.

Depends on what you mean in terms of "nasty". Nasty as in .. A). chewing someone out for no real reason ... or Nasty as in B). hitting/attempting to hit/personal property damage, ect?

In the case of A). most people that are depressed, that I've seen .. myself included, will often lash out more easily than a person who isn't depressed. Depressed people have a lot on their plate, and sadness will easily turn to anger under the right circumstances. Anger just seems like a lot easier emotion to "control" than sadness is. It also lets you feel something besides the sadness, since happiness ins't really an option, per say.

In the case of B). I would say not, exactly. It's more than likely more of a trigger based off of the depression .. those type behaivor issues are likely something that was already there (temper issues) before the depression set in, and the anger release triggered by the depression outbreak is just fanning the already lit fire within.

miko said:
is it fair to in part attribute it to a manifestation of symptoms related to clinical depression ? are you more likely to react in an erratic or different way to situations if you are depressed ?

I think one is more prone to erratic behavior if depressed. but i also dont think a person should be excused from the consequences of their behavior. i worked in a mental hospital for a long time and it was very impressive how quickly the patients gained control of their episodes when they knew the consequences.

Well, to look at it another way, no right thinking person would condone paedophilia. It is a crime that is truly despicable.. and yet is also a psychiatric disorder (as classified by the World Health Organisation, for instance).

Does this mean we should pity someone who abuses children? That they should just receive psychiatric help rather than punishment? Of course not. Their illness may explain their actions, it doesn't excuse it.

Latest posts

Back