How Do I Respond to This?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

TheLonelySkeptic

Halp.

Hi Kevin, I'm sorry if I got your name wrong.
I know I only hung out with you a little during high school, but I always thought you were a cool guy and I liked how you had plans for your future, like becoming a writer for something. But I think I looked up to you because you seemed to be well grounded in your faith for God, which is Christ Jesus right?
I'd like to hear what you've been doing since HS and how your relationship with Jesus has become (still assuming you're a Christian).
As for me, I'm learning how to honor God everyday by loving people as Jesus said.
God bless.

I have no idea how to respond to this. I'm an Atheist now, and I don't want to push the guy away. At the same time I don't want to lie to him, either. How would you respond to a person who looked up to 'who you were' if you've become the exact opposite person since then?

Tell him...

"That's interesting.......fresia OFF, how do you love me now ?" :p
This way...you'll know if he's real or just talking honeysuckle.

Or tell him....
You've been possessed by an a evil force...
Bring 2 bottles of Jacks, a miniskirt and a dime store whore to perform an exorcist.

I would be honest....then it is up to him to decide. Don't take on his needs...you need to be yourself. :)

Tell him you walk a different path now or something else that's vague but means you aren't who you used to be.

I agree with Una. I'd let him know, in a very subtle way, that your opinions are different now, than when you were in school. Leave it at that unless he asks you specifically. If he does, then be honest with him.

Awkward, but yes, you need to give him the idea that you have changed.

It may be my innate cynicism influencing my judgement, but my initial reaction was it looked like spam email. Obviously if you know the guy then that's different.
I agree you should be true to yourself and make sure he knows you no longer think the same way he does. Be wary he may try to 'convert' you though.

Yes just be honest. If he is basing this largely on something that no longer exists then there is really no other way around it. See where things go from there.

Tell him that you're still a spiritual person but not religious anymore. Or at least I'm an atheist but I still consider myself a "spiritual" person. If spirituality is simply a sense of astonishment at the utter godless irrationality of the world I've been thrown into. And what else could it be 'cause there is no divine creator whose sole purpose was to create mankind upon this rock spinning in orbit around a giant nuclear gaseous ball.

The question is: DO YOU SHARE ANY OTHER INTERESTS? One of my best friends is a fundamentalist Christian. Which means that our viewpoints clash on certain religious and political views. Evolution / Creationism / Abortion / Dinosaurs / That we're all "Broken" and can only be fixed by Jesus.

On the other hand we were into the same "scene" when we met. The same music, the same art, and (more back in the day) the same drugs. We learned to either avoid certain subjects or to respect the fact that neither of us was going to change when discussing them. Nine years later and we get along great.

Militant atheists are as bad as militant Christians when they are unwilling to accommodate different viewpoints. (Which is why certain conversations are probably a bad idea)

People are better when they can withhold judgement and keep an open mind. Both the faithful and the faithless.

Unacceptance said:
I changed my mind email him back a picture of a defecated on upside down cross on fire.

Unacceptance beat me to it. Mail him back spewing phlegm and bile; tell him you're an atheist and that he's wrong, his mother hates him, he's dumb etc.

Post the results.

Alternatively, politely explain that over the years you found that Christianity and the concept of God wasn't really working in your life and that you're an atheist now. But, express that you're glad God has improved his life and maybe ask about how he's been.

ROFL

I hate it when stuff like that happens >_<

Have fun with that :p tell us how it goes eh.

Latest posts

Back