I don't get most people

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paranoid Android said:
So, our school had its prom on Saturday. I didn't go because I do not feel comfortable being in a large group of people, especially a group of people that I am not too found of. A few people have asked me about prom, and all of them think I am crazy for not going. Even my friends at school think I missed out on an amazing time and that I should have gone. I have told them that I don't like parties, but they disregard it.

Why is it so hard to believe that I do not like large social gatherings? I mean, I can go to parties, but not big ones like this. It's really got me thinking of what I share with them, and it doesn't seem like much. They don't get the way I think, outside of the prom thing, and this realization makes me feel like an alien on a foreign planet. I have met one person who gets me, but we can't be the only ones.

Are we alone here? Am I alone here? I don't know for sure, but it looks like it.

You're missing a key point here. A couple, actually.

• One, these people who are asking you generally like you, and want you to go with them.
  • Two, even if they didn't, most people at a prom don't care about the people they don't know.
  • Three, in all likelihood, you'll go with your friends mostly anyway, so not going is basically leaving out your friends, because you've got some sort of hangup about parties.
  • Four, seriously get over it. It's just a party, and you get to dress snazzy.

Forget the drinking scene if that's not you. Invite your friends, and have a good time with them. Actually, you can organize a rival mini-prom with your friends, and dress up in prom gear, and play video games all night. That would be so much cooler than the prom, because there are no strangers, you get to wear the nice clothes for the night, but people also get to do what they'd want instead of school expectations.

You're definitely not alone, I'm not much for large social gatherings either. On the rare occasions that I do attend one, I'm that weird person standing in the corner all night not saying anything. I've never had to worry about prom specifically on account of the fact that I've never gone to school, but even if given the chance, I probably still wouldn't go. I'm sure an evening goofing off with a few friends is just as much if not more fun.

bulmabriefs144 said:
Forget the drinking scene if that's not you. Invite your friends, and have a good time with them. Actually, you can organize a rival mini-prom with your friends, and dress up in prom gear, and play video games all night. That would be so much cooler than the prom, because there are no strangers, you get to wear the nice clothes for the night, but people also get to do what they'd want instead of school expectations.

My friends and I did something similar to this, minus the dressing up part: If my memory serves me right we just wore our PJ's, played the music we liked, we baked, we pigged out, we watched films, played dorky games and had a sleepover. It was awesome, and I so don't regret going to my prom. Since then, I've been to enough dressed up parties and had enough sex to make up for it. It all works out. :)

We don't have proms here but there was a similar celebration going on at my hs. I bought a shirt for the occasion but in the end I didn't show up. Sadly, I never had a real friend there and I never really fit in. Still, I regret not showing up a little. I feel weirdthinking about it, it was 8 years ago but it feels like a different lifetime...

Sarah_Lbnz said:
bulmabriefs144 said:

My friends and I did something similar to this, minus the dressing up part: If my memory serves me right we just wore our PJ's, played the music we liked, we baked, we pigged out, we watched films, played dorky games and had a sleepover. It was awesome, and I so don't regret going to my prom. Since then, I've been to enough dressed up parties and had enough sex to make up for it. It all works out. :)

On the other end of the spectrum, I got invited to the prom, because the girl who invited me wanted to make up for her bf not being there/make him jealous. I got invited as a standin, he came so I had nobody to dance with. Years later, I'm still a virgin... :(

Sarah_Lbnz said:

Sorry - missed this, but THAT sounds like my idea of a good night.

Paranoid Android said:
Why is it so hard to believe that I do not like large social gatherings? I mean, I can go to parties, but not big ones like this. It's really got me thinking of what I share with them, and it doesn't seem like much. They don't get the way I think, outside of the prom thing, and this realization makes me feel like an alien on a foreign planet. I have met one person who gets me, but we can't be the only ones.

Are we alone here? Am I alone here? I don't know for sure, but it looks like it.

You're not alone. The problem with a lot of people is they don't understand that their idea of happiness doesn't apply to everyone. I don't like large social gatherings either. I don't mind going out with a friend or two, but if it's a huge event I won't go. I never went to any of my proms when I was in high school and I don't regret it either.

A big group of people is just lots of small groups of people. Try to grab all opportunities to feel 'alive' while you are young, if you do not, you well regret later. I'm talking from experience.

Latest posts

Back