[IMPORTANT] What are some benefits you can think of for not being able to speak?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a bit different, but I this anime called Morita-san wa Mukuchi, which translates to "Morita is Taciturn" I don't think she speaks the entire anime, even though she is the main character.

She does fine in the whole anime, and it is that originality which makes her different as a character. What she does do is indirectly makes her presence known. Non-speakers are usually good listeners and because of that able to adapt quicker.

I also though she was freakin cute, so there was that...

(I actually am hoarse right now, from crap in my throat)

- People assume you're the strong silent type, or one of those wise people who knows everything but only speaks when necessary.
- You can pass the buck on public interviews, or if you have to give one, people will pay so much attention to throat problems, that they'll overlook other things (like bad logic of argument).

That you will never shout when you're frustrated. Nobody likes being shouted at. Even if you're yelling about something else. And it makes your blood pressure higher so you could get even more frustrated.

A benefit, what possible benefit can come from not being able to speak? I am grateful that a stranger the other day did not have this problem when he spoke out and said, "Look out, a truck!"

JasonM said:
A benefit, what possible benefit can come from not being able to speak? I am grateful that a stranger the other day did not have this problem when he spoke out and said, "Look out, a truck!"

Since this thread is designed to stimulate some rare positivity from the angle of someone who suffers from the issue, I really don't see how it is helpful to try and "make light" of it like that. Just a note on appropriate content there.

As a positive, I imagine people who can't talk are excellent at really listening to the points of others. Many people struggle to maintain silence long enough to just really engage in what others are saying. For that reason a conversation through a mix of audio and sign language (for example) could perhaps actually prove more enlightening than a "casual chat" normally would.

Also, you don't have pressure to make rather pointless small talk.

Latest posts

Back