Is loyality DEAD??

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VanillaCreme said:
Felix said:
VanillaCreme said:
No, it's not completely dead. Don't give up hope. Although, I know how you feel when it comes to dealing with people who just want to see their side of the story.

That's what bothers me the most, some people don't respect your loyality and the fact that you've done things for them in the past and I'm like wtf show some respect!

I've done for people in my life. Put them and their needs over my own. But I don't hold that against anyone. I'm not the one to hold a grudge if someone doesn't do for me, whether I've done for them or not, simply because I don't want to waste any of my time or energy on people who have shown they just don't care. Sure, it hurts me for a bit, but it's not worth the bother most of the time.

And people have done for me, when they didn't have to. And I appreciate them more than they could know. I only hope they don't hold it against me if I can't return the favor, although I try. And I take care of those who have cared for me, so one day I hope to show my appreciation to them.

Yeah well, I've learned the hard way you don't wanna put ppls needs over your own. At least not if you can't be certain they'll appreciate it.

I guess this is like a part growing up, geting dissapointed and go back out there... hopefully wiser.

Felix said:
LoneKiller said:
I can't believe I left out the military. Those courageous souls also give their lives for us and our of loyalty to their country and their superiors. I don't think that loyalty will ever completely disappear, it just fluctuates among different people and different parts of the world.

I couldn't disagree more... this will be a bit off topic here but since it's my topic I feel now I got to give my opinion.

Your vision of a solider is way too romantic and naive.

A solider, today, specially in your country, is a human being reduced to a tool of the system. He donates his mind and body to the military complex, in order to acomplish missions he doesn't understand for the benefit of the so called %1, "the elite"...

In this condition, they commit to do whatever it takes to achieve their missions, killing civilians, innocents, children... All for the good of the few... For resources, for economic and political dominance.

How could I respect someone who is willing to do all of this things, or who even supports a group of persons who do those things?

They go not alway thinking about the good they'll do to the country, that's just plain naive. They go because they have nothing better to do with their lives, becose of the money, becose they are self destructive, because they are socipaths or psycopaths who enjoy the idea of killing, beating, raping... Feeling like a tuff "macho", a cool bad-ass dude with weapons and neat gear. Those are the real reasons. And they often don't care at all about the real motives of the war. They follow blindly, like the military is their God. They rarley question the motives. Like a religion.

Ironically, some of them are christians, willing to kill... That's a demonstration of how important, how mind-consuming the militay is: it's placed even higher than the christian God.

Open your eyes, these people are willing to kill... 1 out of 3 women gets raped in the army. They rape their own women, even the weaker boys...
Imagine what it must be there, in other countrys, the things they'd do to the enemy. They use children from Afghanistan to sexual traffic **** it! just to name something.

Make no mistake, war isn't about pride, loyalty, dignity or freedom anymore.

It's one of the most degrading acts of mankind and it should be condemmed.

Soliders are just poor people brainwashed by the system.
you make some strong points Felix. I never looked at it that way. I'z got schooled.:p

I feel the same way. Lately I have been starting to think its me. That expecting loyalty, and unselfishness is asking too much. It sucks because I keep thinking I've finally found someone to connect with, but then they prove me wrong. A lot of times people are very loyal and unselfish, but it's only when its convenient to them.

It is too much to ask for, unless you're talking about specific people close to you. You can't demand anything out of people. I think that if you do, you're asking to be let down. Not everyone will fall over their feet to please you or help you out. It's nice when it happens, but I wouldn't expect it from anyone.

VanillaCreme said:
It is too much to ask for, unless you're talking about specific people close to you. You can't demand anything out of people. I think that if you do, you're asking to be let down. Not everyone will fall over their feet to please you or help you out. It's nice when it happens, but I wouldn't expect it from anyone.

Right, I agree. But my opinion, it seems that even the people closest to me aren't really loyal(unless it is convenient for them). If they are in a good mood, then they are there for you, but if they are feeling lazy, then they don't really care about you. At least this is my experience.

I do everything I can for my friends even the ones I've just met, it's true that you get nothing return a lot of the time, some people even don't bother keeping contact after several years that I've been a loyal friend to them helping them with all kinds of work and problems.

But I've also made a few great friends over the years that really appreciate what I've done for them and allready have proven that they are there to help me too when I need it. My best friend and his wife ( who has become a close friend to me too) once told me they sometimes feel a bit guilty because I did so much for them and almost never ask for something in return.
To me helping friends is normal, if you can't even count on friends then who can you rely on in this world ?
If I have the time and refuse to help out then I'd feel bad about myself. It's a fact that I sometimes get burned by being loyal, but at least i'm not ashamed of myself, I know I tried to be a friend.

This doesn't mean people can keep "abusing" my loyalty, I've learned that sometimes you need to protect yourself, if people repeatedly only know you in times of need and use you as a convenient tool, then you should be able to say that you can't or even won't help them.

Xandra said:
It sucks because I keep thinking I've finally found someone to connect with, but then they prove me wrong. A lot of times people are very loyal and unselfish, but it's only when its convenient to them.

I find this too. Its rubbish :(

Loyalty is all but dead because we live in a me, myself, and I society.

If there were one of several things that I could change about myself, it would be no longer being loyal to friends, relatives, and people in general.

It has gotten me absolutely nowhere in life.

Xandra said:
VanillaCreme said:

Right, I agree. But my opinion, it seems that even the people closest to me aren't really loyal(unless it is convenient for them). If they are in a good mood, then they are there for you, but if they are feeling lazy, then they don't really care about you. At least this is my experience.

I don't think that's as much as a loyalty issue as it is the fact that people don't have to do for you. I completely understand what you mean though. I dislike people who are only nice when it's convenient. Because I'm the type of person that if someone's in need or if they just want something simple, I'll go out of my way to see to it that they have it. And I do my best to make sure they have it.

But a lot of people aren't like that. I'm far from selfish, but I won't throw myself under the bus either. And that's what I had to realize with my own brother. For years, I basically picked up after everything in his life. But he's so unappreciative, and the fact that he had the audacity to tell me that I owe him after everything I've done for him, made me just get up and go.

And that's what I wouldn't want anyone to do. To be a doormat to people. Sure you can be loyal and be there for someone, but there's a limit to being nice to some people. They don't have to do for you, just as you don't have to do for them. So you can either make that choice... If you feel that they don't care about you, don't do for them. Because if you do, you can't complain about it later, because you chose to do for them.

Latest posts

Back