keep meeting new girls - ending failing, no response to text, no follow up with me

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somnambulist said:
TheRealCallie said:
Somnambulist said:
TheRealCallie said:
I have never received a message/reply on a dating site.....

Aww :(

What's your profile like ?

Well, it's blank....I don't do online dating.  That might be the problem :p

Ah, ok. I thought that perhaps you had included your disclaimer in your profile ... which would scare most guys away :p

If only.... :club:

Somnambulist said:
TheRealCallie said:
Somnambulist said:
TheRealCallie said:

Ah, ok. I thought that perhaps you had included your disclaimer in your profile ... which would scare most guys away :p

They would all convince themselves that they could be the one to tame her...

AmytheTemperamental said:
Somnambulist said:
TheRealCallie said:
Somnambulist said:
TheRealCallie said:

They would all convince themselves that they could be the one to tame her...

Haha, the all powerful male ego, yes :D

TheRealCallie said:
Somnambulist said:
TheRealCallie said:
Somnambulist said:
TheRealCallie said:

If only.... :club:

If you weren't on the other side of the country, and if I had more Earthly resources at my disposal, I'd be interested

... to know more ;)

Xpendable said:
EveWasFramed said:
Xpendable said:
Not really related but I made a bad impression today to two girls I just knew. FML.

What happened, X?

had to play and I messed up some notes. it was just rehearsal but there's was at least 10 people there. After that we stayed there and there was conversation but I got lost in the backgroud as always. Just looked very awkward at first, then I was totally forgotten.

Well, good news. The actual presentation when really well. :) I would say I redeemed myself.

[video=vimeo]

Before you send messages, try to find out what is really important to the woman you are messaging. People normally judge you by two things on first encounter: they want to know if they can trust you and they want to know if they can respect you. It is true that, unfortunately, many times people will post inaccurate descriptions of themselves, including pictures. This only tells you that the person has low self-esteem and is trying to hide something, so they are not trustworthy. I have a friend who has been in a relationship for 8 years now, and she met her partner on a dating site. But she spent many months searching and searching several sites, as she kept coming across guys that were simply not right for her. Patience is what you need. Remember that, if you were living in a small town with no Internet, and counting on others to meet you with girls, your choices would be much more limited. With the Internet, you can "meet" many women and choose, but so can they. So just do your best to be yourself, be sincere, genuine, and you will meet a woman that you like and who likes you.

Xpendable said:
Xpendable said:
EveWasFramed said:
Xpendable said:
Not really related but I made a bad impression today to two girls I just knew. FML.

What happened, X?

had to play and I messed up some notes. it was just rehearsal but there's was at least 10 people there. After that we stayed there and there was conversation but I got lost in the backgroud as always. Just looked very awkward at first, then I was totally forgotten.

Well, good news. The actual presentation when really well. :) I would say I redeemed myself.

[video=vimeo]

Lovely, X!! 
Glad to hear it went well. :)

ardour said:
Tuathaniel said:
Where are the questions about her? The comments on something you have in common? Something fun, something witty, something clever and unique? 

Not to disagree with the gist of your comment, making the effort to show an interest in someone else is important. But how many ways can a people be "witty, clever and unique" before it all starts to sound like white noise from guys desperately trying to set themselves apart?

I hear this quite this a lot - women expecting men to be remarkable or different in some way as a prerequisite. Well guess what, most of us aren't, not in ways that could be communicated in a message anyway. We're just normal human beings. I think this ties into the default expectation that males should carry the interactions with women playing the part of 'judging audience'.

I think you might have misunderstood my intention here. You aren't expected to be remarkable, and certainly providing a witty/clever/unique messages doesn't require any remarkable abilities, either. 

However, yes, women expect that special someone to be different in some way. That's what makes them special. The same goes for guys. We all look for someone "special." That doesn't mean that they have to be magical and superior and fantastic and perfect in every way, but it does mean that something about them will set them apart from the rest, and what that something will be, depends on what we're looking for, and what interests us. 

To me, my boyfriend definitely stands out from a crowd, because of how his personality matches mine so well, and because of our similar quirks and weird/nerdy interests. To a vast majority of women, he's nothing special. 

And no, Somn, that is not the guy I messaged at the dating site. That kind of faded away after a while, sadly. As things do. And today I'm happy for that, because otherwise I might not have found the special gem that I have now. :p

I guess it helps if you're in a position to be picky about such things as whether the person stands out or you immediately click. (Some of us aren't.)

That depends entirely on you. Whatever our positions, we can be as picky as we want. Some people won't "settle," and are instead decided on waiting until the right person comes along, or to live alone forever. (That was my category; I wanted my special someone or nobody at all.) Others might instead prefer to be with "anyone," having no requirements what so ever because they just want company - any company at all. And some people are fine with being someone's "anyone." I would hate feeling that my partner just settled for me because he believed he couldn't find someone more suitable.

Everyone are in a position to BE picky (and most people are), but not everyone wants to. That's fine too. All I'm saying is that when you write someone a boring message that doesn't stand out in any way or make you seem special or unique in any way, then chances are slim you'll get a response. Because people want more than that, whether they're "in a position to be picky" or not. (I certainly couldn't pick and choose from a bouquet of messages, but I still had my standards.)

That depends entirely on you. Whatever our positions, we can be as picky as we want.

The more options someone has  the pickier they are likely to be. That's indisputable really. Then there are people with no options at all other than to reconcile themselves to being alone. They probably wouldn't appreciate "picky" being used in relation to their situations.

Some people won't "settle," and are instead decided on waiting until the right person comes along, or to live alone forever. (That was my category; I wanted my special someone or nobody at all.)

Easy enough to sound principled when you're young, partnered up,  not having to face the reality of being alone. Combine  that with an underlying validation that someone has already considered you ‘worthy’/special.

Everyone are in a position to BE picky (and most people are), but not everyone wants to. That's fine too. All I'm saying is that when you write someone a boring message that doesn't stand out in any way or make you seem special or unique in any way, then chances are slim you'll get a response.

If you're talking about avoiding generic 'Hi how are you?' spam, dull CVs or creepy propositions then of course,  but that aside, it can still be genuinely difficult to stand out. Most people can put their thoughts  in a reasonably coherent manner, but it's harder to  do it in ways that convey something distinct about you. Having read thousands of posts on various forums, the majority were more insightful, wittier and said more about the individual in a few words than anything I could have managed in several paragraphs.   If the way you express yourself is inherently boring and banal then you are at a clear disadvantage.

The more options someone has  the pickier they are likely to be. That's indisputable really. Then there are people with no options at all other than to reconcile themselves to being alone. They probably wouldn't appreciate "picky" being used in relation to their  situations.

Not necessarily. I know people who have loads of options who aren't picky at all, and I know people with very limited options who are still picky. When I was single, I kept hearing "you're too picky." To that I always replied "I'd rather be alone than be with the wrong person."  

Easy enough to sound principled when you're young, partnered up,  not having to face the reality of being alone. Combine  that with an underlying validation that someone has already considered you ‘worthy’/special.

Actually no, it's not "easy enough" for anyone. It's a harsh reality for a lot of people, but it's there. I stopped being young years ago, and until just over a year ago I wasn't partnered up, and I was totally facing the reality of being alone, as I had my entire life up until then. Also, it's not about principles, it's about preferences. The point remains: Whether or not you have many or few options available to you, doesn't determine whether or not you allow yourself to be "picky." Having few options doesn't automatically result in "I'LL HAVE ANYONE WHO WILL LOVE ME." It certainly didn't for me, and I know several people who are still single, well up in their 40s, and still refusing to just take any living, breathing person that shows interest in them.

If you're talking about avoiding generic 'Hi how are you?' spam, dull CVs or creepy propositions then of course,  but that aside, it can still be genuinely difficult to stand out. Most people can put their thoughts  in a reasonably coherent manner, but it's harder to  do it in ways that convey something distinct about you. Having read thousands of posts on various forums, the majority were more insightful, wittier and said more about the individual in a few words than anything I could have managed in several paragraphs.   If the way you express yourself is inherently boring and banal then you are at a clear disadvantage.

Of course it's difficult to stand out, as it is in most situations. The same thing applies for job applicants, auditions, tryouts, etc. It's always about standing out. If it were easy, everyone would do it. So yeah, it's difficult, and it's supposed to be, but to the right person (as in the case of online dating), it could be easy enough. All it would take were a few lines about something you had in common, that the other person seems particularly passionate about. Example: That one guy who wrote me and actually caught my attention, was the only guy to ever mention his interest in gaming, though I had dedicated at least 30% of my profile to that topic. That made him stand out. 

Also yes, writing witty and clever messages comes easier to some than others. There are people who struggle with written communication, and for them, online dating might not be the best option. Your last sentence really hits the nail, though. My entire point about this was that, judging from the way the OP described his messages to the women he contacted, they seemed inherently boring and banal. Standing out and being special doesn't have to be long, artistic and overly complex, but it will absolutely require more than repeating the information that's already in your profile.

If all it took were talking about gaming to kick things off for the two of you then we probably aren’t on the same page here regarding "standards".  I’ve never had the impression from women that relating over shared interests were sufficient to spark an interest in someone (assuming the minimum  physical attraction exists)  As if the effort required from us were not much more than relating well to a new acquaintance or friend. It really doesn't seem to be enough in most cases.

Relating isn't all of it, but it's a very good starting point. Remember, what you write about in that first message only needs to grab their attention and spark an interest, it doesn't have to carry the entire interaction and following relationship. I also think it depends on what the common interest is; how standard it is, and how passionate someone is about is. Of course there's more to it, but you'll never get a chance to discover if there's more if you don't establish an interest in that first message. :) (And first message impressions is what I've been talking about the entire time, since the OP was complaining about receiving so few responds to his messages.)

common interests, comments, creativity... nothing works if there's no initial attraction.

Xpendable said:
common interests, comments, creativity... nothing works if there's no initial attraction.

But what creates initial attraction online, where all you have are your words? (For some people, the answer will be "pictures," but believe it or not, the majority of people don't judge a stranger solely on their looks.)

Tuathaniel said:
Xpendable said:

But what creates initial attraction online, where all you have are your words? (For some people, the answer will be "pictures," but believe it or not, the majority of people don't judge a stranger solely on their looks.)

WHAT???? That is just ridiculous!  :club:   lol

But seriously, yeah, it's not all about looks, and aside from that, do you know how many of those people use so many **** filters that they don't even look like they actually look?

Tuathaniel said:
Xpendable said:

I have many ways of calling attention, that hasn`t worked. From phrases to unique ways to say HI. I can be as creative as Im capable but today you need more.

"believe it or not, the majority of people don't judge a stranger solely on their looks"

I what world do you live in?

But seriously, yeah, it's not all about looks, and aside from that, do you know how many of those people use so many **** filters that they don't even look like they actually look?

****, this is the second time today I find myself agreeing with you, Callie. WTAF is going on here? :p (I know a girl who is very active on her Instagram selfies. I hardly recognize her in real life from those picture, they're so full of airbrushed filters.) 

The one where people take responsibility for how they communicate, and don't blame incompatibility on others being shallow. (And in case you weren't aware of this, if all you say is HI then no amount of uniqueness is going to make that interesting. People also require content.

Tuathaniel said:

****, this is the second time today I find myself agreeing with you, Callie. WTAF is going on here? :p (I know a girl who is very active on her Instagram selfies. I hardly recognize her in real life from those picture, they're so full of airbrushed filters.) 

The one where people take responsibility for how they communicate, and don't blame incompatibility on others being shallow. (And in case you weren't aware of this, if all you say is HI then no amount of uniqueness is going to make that interesting. People also require content.

Read well, I never say just HI. And thank for assuming I don't take responsibility. Im actually very aware of my communication skills but you can't stop incompatibility if is not meant to happen

Latest posts

Back