Kids names?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FunkyBuddha said:
I've always thought of very odd names for children.

I might name a boy Sly or a girl Nike.

But I'll deal with this when/if it happens. :D[/font]

Haha noo - you can't name a kid Sly! Can you? Doesn't it mean something not so positive ringing? :D

Our neighbour's kid is named Nike. Really uncommon here. But I like it mucho ;)

Aren't there places where some names are actually illegal? A New Zealand couple wanted to call twins "fish & chips" but I think were stopped. Now thats cruel.

I always remember in the paper here a vicar wouldn't christen a girl Pagan...I think it's quite a pretty name though.

FunkyBuddha said:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sly

Nike is the Greek goddess of victory. That's why I like it. :)

I don't think it's that common here either.

Exactly - some very nice associations there :)

Ok, as I remembered it then. Perhaps Sly could be great, though - one of those names you grow to like a lot, once you're used to it. The only boy name I feel anything for is - duh duh duh! - George. Couldn't tell why! And, ok, one more - Mats, traditional Swedish name. Still no clues why. Could be the combination of it being a really usual name, and me knowing no one in my age group with it.

annik said:
Aren't there places where some names are actually illegal? A New Zealand couple wanted to call twins "fish & chips" but I think were stopped. Now thats cruel.

I always remember in the paper here a vicar wouldn't christen a girl Pagan...I think it's quite a pretty name though.

I know Garbage (though naturally in Swedish in the real case) was a stopped proposition some year. Hm...

Naming a kid? never thought about it

I do think about naming a dog though, does this count? :D

annik said:

I never thought of that for a girl's name. I do really like it though. :D

Check out Freakonomics. There's a part about how naming a kid could effect a child and it's hilarious. It's all US based but still interesting.

Sprint said:
I do think about naming a dog though, does this count? :D

I think about a name for every kind of pet I see... :p

Rocks and spiders now too. ;)

FunkyBuddha said:
I forgot Fayette! (Faye for short) for a girl.

I've always liked that name ever since seeing it. Means little fairy apparently :p

And... Barry?

Should I ask? :rolleyes:

Faye's a really nice name :)

Well can you think of a better name for a free black horse...no? well Barry it is then!! :D

I know a girl named Citlali. Thought about giving my daughter Xochitl for a middle name. (went with Diana instead).
They're both Aztec names.

Teresa

My son's names are Lennon and Max. Max very nearly got named Logan. I always loved the name Francis for a boy but my parnter hates it.

Girls names I like are Aurora, Tabatha, Alice and Katherine.

Where did you get ideas for names from I looked at dvd covers for actors names as they always have good names

'Your not my son!' and 'I don't care what your mother says, I am not your dad, missy!'

Solivagant said:
My brother is suddenly wanting to name his kid Lockewood. Lol.

He should! It's one of the best names ever! :p

My son is named Nigel, after the English band XTC's song "Making Plans for Nigel" - loved that song since...well...let's just say a while, lol. We had a shortlist of other names too - Finn, Phineas, Gabriel (hubby's choice, not mine), Solomon and believe it or not, Copernicus...haha, not sure how you shorten that one - Pernie? :) Cooper?

If we'd had a girl, the list was Kate, Luna or Lily...Kate after Kate Bush, Luna because I love the moon, and Lily because my dad always used to call me his waterlily and it reminds me of him.

Latest posts

Back