Life After Death Opinions

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) Life after death- is there such a thing? If so, what do you believe the Afterlife to be like? Some questions to brainstorm: what does it look like, if anything at all, who or what is there, what can you do, will you have a physical body, what will be your limitations, will the laws of science still apply?

I believe that when you die you simply return to the state like that of before you were born, which is essentially dead. Considering you do not exist before life I see no reason why anyone would exist after life.

2) How have you formed your opinion?

By a combination of science and common sense.

3) Have you or anybody YOU KNOW ever been to the Other Side? Have you or they had an out-of-body experience or been pronounced clinically brain dead?

No.

4) And, lastly, somewhat related, has any of you SEEN a full-bodied apparition?

Of the paranormal nature? No. However if hallucinations count as a possible explanation then yes, I have.

I just want to root for and believe in an after life that is happy. Maybe I'm wrong and it won't be that way, but wouldn't it be wonderful for everyone if it was?

Yes, I was close to someone who was clinically dead for 20 minutes. He had a lot of brain damage and stuff afterwards and he claims to have gone to heaven and that it was the most wonderful experience ever, but who knows if that's really true or not?

I want it to be true though, but no one can "prove" what the after life is like, so I'm not going to say that I have a definitive opinion on it.

i don't know or necessarily hope that the afterlife will be happy and content.

i moreso hope it is one where i can express my power. :D instead of having to keep it under wraps.

Invisible_Quadrant said:
Considering you do not exist before life

assumption stated as fact

Enchanted Girl said:
Yes, I was close to someone who was clinically dead for 20 minutes. He had a lot of brain damage and stuff afterwards and he claims to have gone to heaven and that it was the most wonderful experience ever, but who knows if that's really true or not?

Hi, Enchanted Girl, thanks for replying- did your friend go on to describe this place he calls heaven? Was it a place or a feeling? I wonder if near death experiences are just euphoria and hallucination as a result of the damage done to the brain/ it recovering

Just_Some_Dude said:

Invisible_Quadrant said:
Considering you do not exist before life

assumption stated as fact

I'd have to agree with you here JSD- there's no way of knowing that one

downbythebay said:
I'd have to agree with you here JSD- there's no way of knowing that one

the laws of physics, including thermodynamics, clearly state that we all "did indeed" exist before life.

although in what state? and with sentience? who knows? maybe the rocks have feelings....

1) I believe there is life after death (in heaven) cause I'm a Christian. In Heaven you get a 'new body' and eveyone is singing and happy. lalalala

2) My faith, what I've grown up on.

3) negative

4)nah

Thanks for posting lemon, I respect your faith- my curiosity would never let me rest with just having faith, good thing I'm not a cat

all that is, was, and will be....all matter....all energy....is just radiation on different wavelengths of the spectrum.

all matter is purely energy condensed to one slow vibration.

seems pretty magical to me.

:cool:

downbythebay said:
Hi, Enchanted Girl, thanks for replying- did your friend go on to describe this place he calls heaven? Was it a place or a feeling? I wonder if near death experiences are just euphoria and hallucination as a result of the damage done to the brain/ it recovering

There's no way to really say if what he saw was brain damage or not, but he was in our local paper and things.

And he was dead for 20 minutes, so his experiences are more in depth than other people's.

It was a place and he claims he was carried to it by angels and that it was greener and more beautiful than anywhere else he has ever been. He said he walked around it for a little while and that God told him it was time to go back to earth and that it wasn't his time to die.

My parents strongly believe that he's telling the truth and I know that he isn't the type to lie, but he may have hallucinated and he may not have.

downbythebay said:
Thanks for posting lemon, I respect your faith- my curiosity would never let me rest with just having faith, good thing I'm not a cat

The problem is that ALL beliefs about the afterlife are faith. There's no absolute proof that there is a soul or not a soul or that there is an afterlife or not an afterlife.

And even if you see it and come back to life, your experiences, might not have been real, which is why I can talk about how I know someone who was legally dead for 20 minutes and says that he SAW the afterlife and you can still ignore it. It's fine to ignore it, but ALL beliefs about the afterlife are just faith based. None of us are there, so none of us can say with absolute certainty what it's like, even if we "visit" it for a little while and experience it with all our senses like this guy did because it might just be a hallucination of the brain.

Wow, that's an awesome account. I wonder if he thinks he saw what God looks like. I think you're dead on with your analysis

I have no idea what death will be like or if there's an afterlife.

Won't it be a ******* awesome adventure to find out? :)

I'm not saying I'd want it to happen soon... but honestly, I see death as just another part of the journey. Even if it's just a point-blank ending for my life.... why fear it or be apprehensive about it? *shrug*

Besides, every good movie or book has to end. Look at what they did to "The Land Before Time." Yeah, let's not have that happen to my life story, k? lol

downbythebay said:
I think you're dead on with your analysis

Intentional or not, I appreciated the pun. :p

Badjedidude said:
I have no idea what death will be like or if there's an afterlife.

Won't it be a ******* awesome adventure to find out? :)

I'm not saying I'd want it to happen soon... but honestly, I see death as just another part of the journey. Even if it's just a point-blank ending for my life.... why fear it or be apprehensive about it? *shrug*

Besides, every good movie or book has to end. Look at what they did to "The Land Before Time." Yeah, let's not have that happen to my life story, k? lol

downbythebay said:
I think you're dead on with your analysis

Intentional or not, I appreciated the pun. :p

Brilliant post BJD, just brilliant. & no that was completely unintentional, you're awesome for pointing that out- makes me seem a ton more witty than I am hah

1) I'm pretty sure that there is *something* after death, but not necessarily a life. Maybe some kind of eternal existence without change. Im not Christian, and if there is life after death, i would refuse to believe its as simple as an eternal heaven or eternal hell.

2) Because of having read and heard stories that describe near-death experiences, and those stories have similarities. But such stories only describes the process of almost dying and then coming back to life, so.. who knows what comes after it all.

3) No.

4) I might have. I saw a shadowy figure once. It could have been a person, though. Or a hallucination.

I saw a shadow with some thickness to it leave though a window, and it was duing a rather satanic weekend

(other people being weird and getting hold of silly books full of silly rituals. they thought it was funny. So did I )

it was probably my eyes and my brain being weird
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i really think that if people (or even one really freaked out person) can put enough energy into something, a kind of mass hysteria erupts and it can give "thoughts" a very weak amount of physical energy. I think this is what probably happens when people see what they think are ghosts.

these are only my opinions, and I am quite tolerant of such things. I think it is an area of life one can be quite creative with and I am always respectful of others religious and supernatural beliefs.

1) Life after death- is there such a thing? If so, what do you believe the Afterlife to be like? Some questions to brainstorm: what does it look like, if anything at all, who or what is there, what can you do, will you have a physical body, what will be your limitations, will the laws of science still apply?

I believe that there could be a life-after death. After all, we are the only sentient creatures on the planet capable of pondering this, so, maybe there is. Physics hasn't figured out everything yet so it's quite possible for us to exist in a different state in another dimension that might be considered heaven.

On the other hand my research into Near Death Experiences has led me to believe that death is a drawn out process. Meaning, the brain doesn't die immediately when your ekg goes flat, which explains the "white light at the end of the tunnel". That phenomenon could just be the effects of your brain dying.

2) How have you formed your opinion?

Reading too many books about death. Debating it with people. Writing a paper on Near Death Experiences. Trying to come to terms with my best friend's death. Learning about Theology.

3) Have you or anybody YOU KNOW ever been to the Other Side? Have you or they had an out-of-body experience or been pronounced clinically brain dead?

Yes, my friend Luis said that he was sitting in class one time and told the teacher he didn't feel well, but that the teacher didn't believe him. He collapsed in class and ended up having appendicitus which he nearly died from.

He told me that he had a NDE from this, in which he was standing in the midst of a grassy field, watching the trees sway. He has insisted to me that it wasn't a dream because he could feel the wind...it just felt too real for him

4) And, lastly, somewhat related, has any of you SEEN a full-bodied apparition?

Sometimes I hallucinate black shadows when I drink too many cups of coffee.

I've also had a strange haunting experience.

I don't care if people laugh at me, I just...*thinks to try and remember*

When I was 16, I had a reiki session done on me by a woman who regularly saw and talked to "things". I went home....and there was something funny about the bookcase by my room. I stared at it a bit...went closer, put my hand out and my hand felt cold. I felt like what was like...a cold draft.

I grabbed a chair and put it by the bookcase. I stood on it and put my hand to the vent above the book-case to see if chilled air conditioning was coming out. There was no air coming out of the vent.

I put the chair away.

I stood on the other side of the book-case and placed my hands on the crack between the bookcase and the wall to see if maybe there was some air flowing through there.

No cold air.

I went back to the same spot and put my hand out again. Coldness. I pressed my hands into the air and felt...resistance...

and i thought to myself.... "ghost"?

"Maybe it wants help."

So i signalled to it with my hand "come." because I wanted to try to help it.

From that moment on, lights flickered. I'd be typing on my computer, my one foot frozen cold and the other one perfectly fine (because whatever it was would like to hang out by the bookcase, which was next to the computer desk.

I'd pause a moment, look up at the lights above the desk.

*flicker* *flicker* "what the fresia..."

Eventually I convinced myself it was normal and that I was just paranoid.

I'd lay down to sleep at night, and I couldn't sleep because I thought I felt something push against my bed. So i'd sit up in my bed, turn on my lights and then not be able to sleep for ther est of the night.

I'd be sitting on the couch downstairs watching TV and i'd suddenly feel a cold draft, and thought that whatever I had told to follow me was right there beside me.

I turned off the fan. The cold draft was still there. I watched one of my hairs, dangling down the side of my face sort of...blow away from the direction where I felt the cold-draft coming from.

I'd be just standing in the kitchen, and all of a sudden I'd feel cold. A bad coldness, which I eventually concluded "death is cold."

Eventually I rationalized it all away. The flickering lights were normal. The cold drafts were normal too in a house. The bumping on my bed was just my dog rolling over in his bed. I became busy in school...

I had told it to go away too, ordered it too.

Ever since then though, whenever I talk about this, my head starts to tingle, like at the crown. So I get paranoid, this could happen all over again because I can "feel" stuff other people can't.

Sometimes my head tingles when I think of God. Sometimes it feels like I have a "cap" on my head, like i am wearing a hat, but there's no hat there. sometimes my head tingles when I cross my legs, which has made me wonder if it's all just a circulatory problem.

And yes, my head is beginning to tingle, writing about all of this, which is why I hate to talk about it normally. The head tingling....could mean that I feel "stuff" again around me and then I wouldn't be able to sleep again. :p

So this is why I avoid movies with ghosts or demons, because if I think about it too long, my head starts tingling.

I truely believe that God, or whatever malevolent forces out there, probably hide themselves, because we are given free will. If god or an evil force, just stepped out from behind a tree on a trail and said "BEHOLD! I EXIST!" it wouldn't give us much free will to run on. So that is the reason I think so many phenomenon can't exactly be proven and can be explained away if one so wishes.

All of this must sound weird, and I know that but you asked so I told you.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Silent Comfort and eris, it is possible that what you two have seen was not an apparition, but a Shadow Person. Even Sophia's shadows could be a Shadow Person. Here's some interesting info on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people

SophiaGrace- how do you know animals, or even plants for that matter, do not contemplate their own fate in their own way? I think it is safe to say that no animal wants to die, so that fear must come from something.
Your take on NDE's and the death of the brain is logical, but it doesn't account for shared death experiences (I am saying this as devil's advocate, as if they are real).

Your friend's NDE is exactly like a lot of others- they insist it is way too real to have been a dream.

Thanks for the recount of the haunting- what happened to you does have classic signs of a haunting - coldness / interference with electrical currents. However, it's definitely atypical because it seems to me this is less of residual or even poltergeist activity, because it occurred only after your trip to this woman. Perhaps what she did to you there opened you up to these things, who knows.

If I had to be logical, I would say that your tingling is a subconscious anxiety reaction, though. But again, it's you, not me so I can't say.

Thanks for sharing

Just_Some_Dude
jsd 2.0 - community-tolerance-repentance

RE: Life After Death Opinions
all that is, was, and will be....all matter....all energy....is just radiation on different wavelengths of the spectrum.

all matter is purely energy condensed to one slow vibration.

seems pretty magical to me.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I read this and my heart beats faster and I actually get "energized" because this is something I've toyed with, in my mind, for years...
The notion that science and the primary beliefs of nearly ALL the faith-systems could somehow tie together and reveal the recipe of life in a moment and it's timeless continuation and it could well be linked to some of the most basic principles...

I like to ponder that each "particle" of form and what animates it is a bit if intellegence. Each particle knows and communicates with every other one in EVERYTHING! Your above mention of thermodynamics is another huge piece of this "life-pie" I so love to contemplate....

Vibrational resonations vastly change the dynamics of the most mivroscopic particle of matter....Fascinating and YES, "Magicical" is a perfect word for it!

Downbythebay....I LOVE this thread!!! *hugs* for putting t up! ALL the comments are amazing!
This is honestly one of my favorite things to ponder....

Alonewanderer--I've read quite a bit on the multiverse theories as well and find it all, soooo intrigueing...

My turn.
I believe when we die, we cease to exist in physical form but remain in the form of energy that will take another form . According to laws of physics energy is not created or destroyed only transformed.
I believe the notion of heaven and hell is a way of manipulation. As someone posted above we should be the best we can be to make the world we live in, a better and more harmonious place and not because of the promise of an eternal reward.
I came to that conclusion from many readings on the subject and debates.
I've never had a NDE or known anyone who's had one.
I've never had any apparition experiences.

Latest posts

Back