Looking younger than you actually are

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust me you're not alone on this one. I'm 30 years old and been carded many times in the stores. One day I was purchasing a book with my mother and bought a few books, the cashier lady said, "Wow getting all ready to go back to High School, that's great!" My mother stepped in and told her how old I was and she commented how she thought I was 18 years old. Most of the men that hit on me are a lot younger than I am too. I have such a baby face.

A lady giving coupons away in a grocery store refused to give one to me because, 'you have to be 16 or older' - I was in my late twenties.

When I was in my late thirties a telemarketer asked for, 'the lady of the house' - I identified myself as the lady of the house and he actually got mad at me and yelled at me - as if I were a child. So I asked to speak to his supervisor. He hung up on me.

Now that I'm even older. . . I miss those days!

My sister has always looked more 'mature' than her age - even when we were in high school - strangers thought she was my mom. They thought that our mom, who always looked younger than her age, was my sister - which made my sister even madder - because they were in effect saying my sister looked old enough to be her mothers mother.

It can be worrying the older you get.For example being confused for an 16 year old when you're 26 or older is worse. The reason people confuse you with a teen is because you lack life experience of that of your body age. And thus tou look younger than yiu are. I was the other way around when I was growing up especiaky whe I was a kid and would compare me to my brother. The reason was because I wasnt as kiddy as other kids or as playfuk as them giving people the impression I was older than my brother. Little did they know was that I had severe social anxiety problems growing up. Which kept me from joking around and severely kimited my life because of that.

People think I'm 12 when I'm actually 19. But I don't mind anymore, I think it's rather fun. It's easier for me to fit in with different kinds of people.

(Edit, I am talking lookwise. Althought I'm fairly sure they don't really mean it that they think I am twelve. Maybe 15 or something. I tend to act childish in real life to have fun, otherwise I am a rather boring grumpy person.)

Well, at least I am not the only one.

I guess all we can do is just accept it and take it easy :)
(We can't really change it anyway)

If I shaved off this beard, I'd look as if id lost about 5 years

For me it's kind of opposite. >_< I was 18 when I heard that I look 25 years old, ouch! I wish I would look like a person in my age or younger, 20 years old. :) But people say that it's a good thing, because when I'm older people will see me as 25 years old. :D *fingers crossed*

I've had the problem of being carded, too. That bothered me a little bit, but a short while later, I went to buy cigs and the person didn't ask for my ID. I said, "Don't you want to see my ID?" He replied, "Sure, if it'll make you feel better." Lol I was in my mid-twenties at the time.

from my photo you'd assume i'm a teenager (the pic is 3 years ago) and I was 27!!! so yeah, customers ask me all the time why i dropped out of high school to work at a travel agency lol!

I'm 29 and look pretty old and ugly. I'm hoping when I lose weight and shave I'll look younger.

In fact, I almost am obsessed with youth. If I had my way I'd be dating 16 year olds. <3

in some years you will be the one who laughs last, Dexter, when all your ex classmates will look old and wrinkled and you will still be a radiant youth ;)

TropicalStarfish said:
I think it's more advantageous to look younger than you are as a woman than a man.

^^^I can testify that this is true. I was carded in bars well into my Forties, and I resented people (read: other men) dismissing me as not being old enough even though I was the oldest guy in the room.

Actual Conversation:

Me: The first movie I ever saw in a theater was "Star Wars" in 1977.
Skeptical Older Man: Really? How old were you? One?
Me: No. I was ten.

This exchange would usually follow with the doubter refusing to believe me, and a dismissive demand to see my driver's license.

Hilarity ensued when I would hand over my license, and the guy would see the birth date on the license, then look at me, then back to the license, then back to me, and then almost every time, he'd say, "You've got to be f***ing kidding me. You do NOT look your age."

(sigh)

It's been my life for 20 years now and I have yet to have this supposedly youthful look pay off for me in any way. (At least, in any way I can detect.)

Dexter said:
Looking younger than you actually are sounds great, doesn't it? Being 40 and look like 30, well it might not be good in every case.

Today I wanted to buy something that is for 18+ and unfortunately I had to show my identity card for that (I am actually 22). I know that she is just doing her job and that she can get alot of trouble if she sells 18+ stuff to minors.
And I know that all this is just a minor problem, but it did still somehow bother me.

Its mostly annoying.
I had to show ID well into my 30s for drink or cigs.
Sometimes if I did not have ID on me I would have to make another journey.

The most stupid thing about this is if anyone under age wonted this stuff they can get it anyway. It doesn't stop anything.
Every young person knows of a shop that will sell them what they want or an older mate or relative that well get it them.

Peaches said:
in some years you will be the one who laughs last, Dexter, when all your ex classmates will look old and wrinkled and you will still be a radiant youth ;)

I hope so :)

I love looking younger than my age. I'm seventeen but i look like thirteen. In my country if you don't have your student card, you have to give 400; if you're under 12 or a student you give 200. Bus conductors almost never ask for a student card from me. So i guess looking younger than your age is a good thing.

Story of my life, yes the benefit is aging gradually, but when it come to the big time jobs, it's a disadvantage. Being dismissed of your authoritative ability is the worse. Forever carded, at 22 I still feel awkward when I try to buy some liquor, the cashier's eyes just stare me down "eep".

If my hair hasn't been cut and I haven't shaved for a couple of days I look my age. If I shave and buzz my hair I look like I'm 12.

HGwells said:
People think I'm 12 when I'm actually 19. But I don't mind anymore, I think it's rather fun. It's easier for me to fit in with different kinds of people.

(Edit, I am talking lookwise. Althought I'm fairly sure they don't really mean it that they think I am twelve. Maybe 15 or something. I tend to act childish in real life to have fun, otherwise I am a rather boring grumpy person.)

Lol you edielted your post because of me right? But honestly I do think people do mean that youre 12 or 15 or so. Havent you noticed that really social people look okder than they look? Its because they have a lot of social experience under their belt thus making them appear older.

Latest posts

Back